For you drone fliers

DRIFTER_016

Heads up Canadian Dronies!!!
Looks like the govt is going to screw us over starting this summer. Sign the petition, it can't hurt.

There's no way I'm spending $800 for training and then insuring my drone so I can fly it.

I will be a rebel. ????

one of those things, you fly your drone near an airport like an idiot...youll get busted. You fly your drone on your own private property and dont be a nuisance no one will bug you.

You do what my moron neighbors at the cottage did multiple days last summer...flying your drone 300 meters over the forest and hover over our deck for 10 minutes...next time ill bring out the .22

1 minute ago, John Bacon said:

Do you have any other sources that indicate that license and insurance will be required for personal use of a drone?  That is not the way I read it from this site

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/applying-special-flight-operations-certificate.html

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

I don't like them. They are an invasion of my privacy. A neighbour let their teen grandson and his crew stay at their Lake House last summer. The incessant rheeeeeeee sound was nerve wracking. They were on the beach and running it up and down the shoreline and laneway one afternoon within 50 feet of cottages. The last time I heard it was just before I heard a blast from a 12 gauge. I don't condone shooting a weapon off in a small neighbourhood over the lake where there were no people either but.......Remington 1 , Drone 0

If you have one, great enjoy but do it away from me, far away.

1 hour ago, irishfield said:

All I can tell you is that Lakeland Airways and I are keeping score on how many we can get each summer with our props or wings! Score is currently tied at one to one! :D

I worry about the drone traffic at the one airfield as it is a glider training centre for air cadets

4 hours ago, bigugli said:

The drones are a big invasion of privacy, and they are a flight risk near airfields. I've seen a couple, recently, flying in the vicinity of small local airports.

I don't want to be the old curmudgeon that won't give a kid his ball back when it goes over the fence but if I see another one flying close by it's 911 time. Bruce I would have called the Leo's if I saw one near an airfield. This entire lake is an airfield actually.  

I think it’s odd when I hear people using privacy issues as a reason to bash drones. When I fly my drone I could give a rats butt what people are doing, I’d be more worried about closed circuit monitoring of everything andthe data being exploited by  the social media platforms you use to complain about drone users 

31 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

When I fly my drone I could give a rats butt what people are doing,

That's part of the problem. You have to remember there are probably more people in our little beachside residence than all those folks within 50k's of you Simon. As far as CCTV, not 1 within 60 K's of here.  I should have said I don't like them bothering me, go play in the field across the road, nothing to see there though.

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That's part of the problem. You have to remember there are probably more people in our little beachside residence than all those folks within 50k's of you Simon. As far as CCTV, not 1 within 60 K's of here.  I should have said I don't like them bothering me, go play in the field across the road, nothing to see there though.

I totally get what you are saying and appreciate that I live in the boonies, In fact I moved from the city, with no job or connections to this place to get away from noise, hussle and bustle etc, a bold move which has paid off....I recommend it. 

My point is more about when people, perhaps not you, but I have encountered many, many people that assume that they are the target of being filmed. People are far too boring to film  and if you go on any drone forum the videos people are posting are of amazing landscape vistas and some architecture. Where people are involved it is usually obvious from the footage that they are willing participants. Of course people are filmed without permission, but to think this is a problem that warrants more and more punitive measures for drone owners ignores the fact that your privacy is being invaded in much more sinister ways nearly every second of the day, whether or not you hear drone propellers. As for noise pollution and people already breaking the strict rules governing drone flights, there will always be those that will.

I will abide by any rules that come out until it becomes to costly or prohibitive to actually use my drone, maybe insurance is a good thing anyway, maybe some basic training for operators is a good thing too, however in my opinion from the off the government rules have been kneejerk and punitive in nature and these latest proposals smack of a money grab.

I think a lot of the problems originate from a high percentage of people buying them without any common sense.  It falls into the same category as super headlights that give off a nuclear glow at night blinding everyone oncoming.  Or lets have blue signal lights, etc.  Noisy mufflers,  tires that stick out a foot beyond the fenders, and we can go on with other items.  If they sell them in a store we can do whatever we want with them.  Some want to use them for hunting and scouting, not cool.  If someone was to use it at the lake during ice fishing simply to check for unseen pressure cracks, fine, but don't be buzzing around annoying people. 

Simon it was obvious to all here that the 6 or so bikini clad young ladies that were sunbathing on the beach and swim raft in the lake were being filmed. If I was 40 years younger I might be the one doing the filming. To tell the truth I don't think they minded being filmed, I didn't see anyone run for cover.

Besides all that think of all the Chopper Pilots out of work because of them. When I see a program on Canadian TV that is more than likely filmed with a drone I wonder why they aren't being charged under the current legislation, maybe they are, I doubt it however.

5 hours ago, Fisherman said:

I think a lot of the problems originate from a high percentage of people buying them without any common sense.  It falls into the same category as super headlights that give off a nuclear glow at night blinding everyone oncoming.  Or lets have blue signal lights, etc.  Noisy mufflers,  tires that stick out a foot beyond the fenders, and we can go on with other items.  If they sell them in a store we can do whatever we want with them.  Some want to use them for hunting and scouting, not cool.  If someone was to use it at the lake during ice fishing simply to check for unseen pressure cracks, fine, but don't be buzzing around annoying people. 

Missus bought me a drone for christmas...which I took back (before the 30 day return policy kicked in ... mostly because I hadn't decided exactly WHICH drone I need for my purposes ... SCOUTING ... not sure what the problem is with scouting is though...  as a prospector who travels the 'untravelled' places .. it'd be nice to send a drone over yonder hill or lake .. before having to cut my way through the crap to get there ... chances are nobody would ever know since i'm normally miles from the next human being or cell tower or plane :)  

• 9 months later...