lady Evelyn lake

tomO

Fished pretty good last June. We camped on an island for 6 days Only place I've put 800 inches of walleye in the boat in one evening. We caught 18-26 inch walleye pretty much every cast for an hour before dark.  East end is shallow West end is deep.   Lots of water to cover.  We had them patterned the first day we  smashed them every morning and evening we had verry stable weather not sure if our experience was the norm or not as it was my only time  there. Beautiful scenery some unmarked hazards.A few bears , 20 bucks to get over the dam and back with your own boat. 

Edited by Freshtrax

Have fished it a few times, love the area a lot. Have only fished the east end as we were mainly there for extended weekend trips & travelling by canoe but the Walleye were plenty & good size,  found some Bass decent size, Perch were hit & miss but mostly dinks & Pike are decent but nothing big. We mainly stay on the one island which has enough room for 3-4 tents if there is a bunch of you. A whole host of info out there to help you but we found Jeff's Map of the area to be pretty spot on for CL camping. Small warning the east end can whip up pretty fast when the wind is right, if your paddling can make it more challenging 

I have Lady Evelyn twice via lodges

Once at Ellen Island Camp (housekeeping) and once at Island 10 (American plan)

Its a huge lake with two distinct basins as mentioned Ellen Island is at the far end of the first basin, Island 10 is closer to the narrows that connects to the second basin.

As far as I know there are two other lodges on the Lake  - Red Pine and Garden Island

In terms of fishing - we really enjoyed it.  Both of our trips were over labour day weekend but we did quite well for bass, good for walleye (numbers/size) and really didnt fish a lot of pike but did catch a few incidentally

Personally I like the location of Island 10 or Garden Island best as we had more success fishing in the second basin or close to it than we did near Ellen Island

Cheers

Gordy

Memory is a bit shady because it's been so long, but here's what I know...

You can get trailered into the lake by launching at Mowat landing and driving up to the guy at the dam. He's crabby but mellows out after a drink or two.

The west end of the lake is considered a provincial park and you need a permit ($$$) to camp there. The east end is fair game. 

West end is deep, east end shallow. Navionics has an excellent bathymetric map of the lake. You should check it out.

On the way in you'll see sand hills on the right, this is where we nailed walleye in the early season. No luck anywhere on the east end later in the season as fish go deep.

Nailed bass at the falls connecting Lady Evelyn and Diamond. In fact this was probably the best bass fishing I've ever experienced. 

There are lakers in there as well (apparently) but I never targeted them.

Southeast end of the lake has a portage leading to other small lakes, one of which is stocked with rainbows. There are canoes on the lake there that are fair game as per universal angling laws.

Do us a favor and post a report when you get back!

Edited by Sterling

1 hour ago, SirCranksalot said:

I assume you are kidding about that! I wish it was true, though.

I guess this could start a pretty heated argument. But no, I wasn't kidding. And I thought this was a common understanding among anglers.

I stash a tinner or canoe at a super remote lake. It might see what, 1 use per year, if that? And they're usually beaters too. Sometimes they're tied to a tree - that to me is owner saying "please no touchy" and I respect that.

Treat the gear with care and I don't see an issue.

Sorry for derailing!

It's been more than 50 years ago, my dad was there for opening day of walleye season, as I recall that is the lake they tied the old lyman up too tight to the dock one evening and it was full of water the next morning, the water level came up a lot.

He caught one laker, casting a spoon off the dock for pike, and someplace called the narrows I believe is where they had most of their walleye action.

Again as I recall black flies were a problem then.