Vessel Licence Transfer ?

Fish Farmer

By vessel, what do you mean?

Is this a fishing boat, a cruiser/yacht or a commercial boat?

From what I understand, there is no charge for a fishing boat/pleasure craft but there can be some costs associated to other types of boats under certain circumstances.

4 minutes ago, gil said:

Oh! I forgot! The website is transport Canada! FYI!!! 

Thanks gil, yes I found the PDF form, I called my buddy hes happy but hopes he can get his money back, what a bunch of Bull.

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

This bureaucratic Bull is friggin stupid

i did it through this webpage using the transfer form....https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/PubWeb/Application.aspx?lang=en-CA 

I hope i did the right thing, you basically need a lawyer to figure it out. So stupid. Lape...you do have transfer the boat license to yourself.

Thanks a million AKRISONER, my buddy thanks you. Man what a bunch of bull you have to go through, my buddys not PC savvy.

His son found some outfit that did the transfer and charge his charge card. I told him he should call his card company and cancel the transaction.

That’s seriously messed up. As for transferring the vessel license, yes, I know you have to do it but I did mine at the service Ontario near where I live. I sold the boat in October to a buddy and just asked him if he had to pay anything and the answer was no. And he went to Service Ontario in Ottawa. Amazing to see the different info you get with just a few hundred kilometres difference in location. You’d think it would be standard. 

As stated before though, I know there is a charge for a commercial vessel. I think there may be a charge for a cruiser over a certain length too but don’t quote me on that. 

56 minutes ago, Lape0019 said:

That’s seriously messed up. As for transferring the vessel license, yes, I know you have to do it but I did mine at the service Ontario near where I live. I sold the boat in October to a buddy and just asked him if he had to pay anything and the answer was no. And he went to Service Ontario in Ottawa. Amazing to see the different info you get with just a few hundred kilometres difference in location. You’d think it would be standard. 

As stated before though, I know there is a charge for a commercial vessel. I think there may be a charge for a cruiser over a certain length too but don’t quote me on that. 

Wouldn't Service Ontario just be for the trailer plates?  The vessel license is federal.

Trailer is MOT Ontario transfer, boat title is transferred at Service Canada, federal. They may send a tax bill, maybe they won't. Make sure you get a separate invoice for each the boat and the trailer as they will charge you tax on the trailer. I'm not sure about all this on line bull. When I'm told to do something online I tell them I'm 81 and don't own a computager.

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Trailer is MOT Ontario transfer, boat title is transferred at Service Canada, federal. They may send a tax bill, maybe they won't. Make sure you get a separate invoice for each the boat and the trailer as they will charge you tax on the trailer. I'm not sure about all this on line bull. When I'm told to do something online I tell them I'm 81 and don't own a computager.

Hi John

My buddy went to service canada and they told him he had to do it online.

He said whats that online thing. I don't have a Computer, they said I guess you don't get it registered, thats the only way.

This info is direct from the Transport Canada site. It appears online or by mail are the only ways.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-menu-728.htm

Small Vessel Register

This registry only applies to commercial (non-pleasure) vessels that are 15 gross tons or less.

This type of registration is required for:

• vessels less than or equal to 15 gross tonnes used for commercial purposes with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more (if unsure of tonnage, check this explanation of tonnage measurements)
  • commercial river rafts
  • government-owned vessels with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more

This type of registration is not required if:

• your vessel does not or will not have a mortgage
  • you do not wish to register an “official” name
  • you don’t intend to travel outside of Canada

Register your vessel using the Small Vessel Register either through the online service or by mail using the Small Vessel Register Registration Forms.

Edited by chrisb