Spring Walleyes....finally some open water fishing

cl_fishin

Whats really cool and I didn't notice it before but a viewer pointed out a unique short dorsal spine on both landed Walleyes, it quite likely it was the same fish caught twice on the same bait with 40 mins or so....not the smartest fish in the river

Cool! except for the lack of crowds of people it looks almost like the walleye run on the Sandusky or Maumee rivers here in Ohio.

" unique short dorsal spine on both landed Walleyes  " mutants?

An area of Lake Erie I used to fish seemed to have a high number of smallmouth bass with one eye that looked like the colors ran together, no visible damage or scaring around the eye, just weird looking, it didn't seem to affect their ability to find food at all.

On 2018-03-28 at 10:36 AM, OhioFisherman said:

Cool! except for the lack of crowds of people it looks almost like the walleye run on the Sandusky or Maumee rivers here in Ohio.

Went only once, back maybe '75 , around Delaware or Komoka. It was zoo, comparable to a steelhead opener, most of the guys were serious ripping jigs and a lot of the fish I saw caught were foul hooked, not my cup of tea. Glad to see its changed for the better after 40 years. Nice fish, cool to have caught the same one again so quick.

Great video man, thanks for sharing! I couldn't agree with you more about releasing the big females.  I HATE to see people keeping the ones we know are females, just such a waste. BTW, where did you get the sniper shads? I can't find them anywhere around the area I live ( Cornwall ) .

15 hours ago, dave524 said:

Went only once, back maybe '75 , around Delaware or Komoka. It was zoo, comparable to a steelhead opener, most of the guys were serious ripping jigs and a lot of the fish I saw caught were foul hooked, not my cup of tea. Glad to see its changed for the better after 40 years. Nice fish, cool to have caught the same one again so quick.

It can be a zoo at times but there seemed to be a lot more enforcement present this year......I was lucky enough to beat the crowds on this trip

10 hours ago, LittleWorm said:

Great video man, thanks for sharing! I couldn't agree with you more about releasing the big females.  I HATE to see people keeping the ones we know are females, just such a waste. BTW, where did you get the sniper shads? I can't find them anywhere around the area I live ( Cornwall ) .

More and more people are starting to get it, and releasing them,...you can get the Snipers at anglerschoice.ca

18 hours ago, dave524 said:

It was back in the early 70's when I went to the Sandusky river in Fremont Ohio, same deal, I had never caught a walleye while fishing in Lake Erie waters at that time, but I had no interest in catching one that way! They may not have called it snagging, but it looked like it to me.

Even back then the guy fishing next to you might have been a game warden, they watched what was going on closely.

1 hour ago, blaque said:

Great vid..........good day on the water. Probably most impressed by the fact that you didnt go down in the slop once when jumping down to land ur fish haha. I surely would have taken a spill in that muck

It was pretty greasy but I managed to stay up on 2 feet