Tacklemaking

Dan668

Does anyone on the board make their own tackle? Im debating getting into it,  not for resale, just making my own jigs, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Judging by the cost of some of the items needed to start up, it doesnt look like there will be any cost savings upfront or for a while. Part of me thinks it may be better to find someone local to make what i want. 

the overhead is insane...pouring led is also not good for you at all. You are better off just buying high quality hooks and jigs...i.e. owner...and taking care of your stuff making sure it is dry when you put it away. get a good hook sharpener and take care of your stuff and you will come out on top IMO.

My buddies got into making jigs and their stuff was just ugly compared to owner or the like.

1 hour ago, danbob said:

Does anyone on the board make their own tackle? Im debating getting into it,  not for resale, just making my own jigs, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Judging by the cost of some of the items needed to start up, it doesnt look like there will be any cost savings upfront or for a while. Part of me thinks it may be better to find someone local to make what i want. 

I have been just buying plain jig heads ( different colors ) and dressing them up the way I want. I already had all the fly tieing stuff,so it,s cost effective to me.  I can buy flys cheap,but making my own, is more gratifying IMO.

I have dabbled in it from time to time. A Buddies Brother had all the lead molds for jig heads and we poured a whole bunch on really good hooks. That was a long time ago and I'm still using them today. I have bought crankbait bodies from Luremaking.com and tried painting them myself with an air brush. They turned out ok. I think it is more of a hobby to pass away the winter months than it is to save money. Like Misfish said, you get a lot of satisfaction from catching fish on a lure you made or customized yourself.

The overhead of fishing in general is insane let's face it...if it's all about the money then you're way better off just buying the fish.  If you look at it as a hobby, making your own tackle doesn't cost that much and keeps you occupied in the garage (near the beer fridge) for hours on end during the off season.  I pour and paint jigs, tie my own walleye worm rigs, dropshot rigs, stinger hooks etc and I pour bottom bouncers for half of the county it seems.  The quality is as good or better than the stuff you buy and it's put together just the way I want it.  Luremaking.com  is a great source for parts and materials.  

I think it is more of a hobby to pass away the winter months 

during the off season

None of these make sense...................:Gonefishing::lol:

(near the beer fridge)

Wait, ok, I get it now. :clapping:

Edited by misfish

I make my own spinnerbaits and buck tails for muskie and pike. Get to do whatever colours you want and its cheaper than buying them i find. Make my own leaders also which are way better and cheaper than anything I have found in store.

Look up hagen fishing for parts also20180327_203010.jpg

16 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I have dabbled in it from time to time. A Buddies Brother had all the lead molds for jig heads and we poured a whole bunch on really good hooks. That was a long time ago and I'm still using them today. I have bought crankbait bodies from Luremaking.com and tried painting them myself with an air brush. They turned out ok. I think it is more of a hobby to pass away the winter months than it is to save money. Like Misfish said, you get a lot of satisfaction from catching fish on a lure you made or customized yourself.

Jann's in Toledo Ohio used to sell blank crankbait bodies that were already painted, no idea who made them, but if you put them side by side with a bandit crankbait you couldn't tell the difference, add the hooks of your choice and they seemed to work just as well, at about 1/3 the price.

I make my own in line spinners and I also handpaint,/ repair old balsa crankbaits (usually with nailpolish or acrilic water based paint from the art supply stores like Michaels). Go to Angling Specialties in Mississauga for the blades, metal bodies, clevis's and wire for inlines and swap meets for the old balsa or plastic cranks. I look for old Bagley or Rapala balsa cranks especially the ones that are full of bite marks as they are the really cheap ones and the bite marks show that the fish like them already. As far as air brushing there are  some guys that can really paint well but for the casual painter the preparation and cleanup are not worth it. I also tie feather treble/siwash hooks using swan feathers I pick up out of the water in spring and fall when swans molt out in the lake or river, Swan feathers are really much better than chicken feathers that you find on comercially tied trebles.