Week long nipigon trip

Freshtrax

Headed to Nipigon for for 8 days June 1st  I'm well versed in backcountry canoe camping.  My mother was a ranger at l.s.p.p. so I was brought up with it.   But this trip we will only  be about 10 km from the ramp and have the leisure of multiple trips in the boat.  So what am I forgetting that I would normaly leave at home In the canoe?

Chainsaw ,small Honda generator and 12 ga. Are already packed.   Discuss...........

Edited by Freshtrax

29 minutes ago, BillM said:

Bug spray, lots of bug spray.  I've never seen black flies like that before on my last May trip there.   I'll be leaving as you'll be showing up :)  Good luck!  

Don't forget to load up on gas.

On that note, they finally started making proper bug suits that aren't annoying to wear. I bought one of these https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5016-843/Polyester-Insect-Proof-Shirt

and ended up getting 2 more. 

Secondly, you can buy deet spray from the USA. I know it's bad for the environment and stuff, but if it's one spray here and there, little harm done.

Third, try permethrin. Also not approved in Canada but the military uses it. It was invented for use in Vietnam. You spray it on your clothes and it works even after washed. I tried it last year and it was awesome.

i could only imagine the bugs first week of june up there haha oh boy.

It gets absolutely stupid in Pointe Au Baril around then...typically i go fishing out in open basins just to get away from the black flies, you go near shore and you get a mouth full...but man the evening as the sun sets...its unbearable...You cant fish or do anything when you literally have 15 mosquitos chomping on your hands even if your face is covered, and then the black flies are swarming your head too cause they havent gone down for the night yet, i usually come pretty prepared, buff on, sunglasses, hat long sleeves a pile of deet, but i have had to cut many a night short because I cant stand all of the mosquitos biting me through the clothing...if your mouth nose and eyes arent covered, you guarantee you are either eating mosquitos, inhaling them or getting them in your eyes.

Have fun!!!! :P

Meh bugs .  Got to pay your dues for world class Brookies you guys are soft.  A hoodie and a can of Muskol I'm good to go.   Last time I was up there first week of June they wernt that bad. It' allot colder nights up there in may/June than down here.    We will have a bugtent at camp for eating in and meal prep if the bugs are horrendous.   

2 hours ago, scuro2 said:

If it is one canoe only some sort of communication device....big water with big wind/water action.

Not taking a canoe. That' the point of this thread. No way I'd have a generator in a canoe

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Last time I was there, it was clouds of them.  I hope it's not the same this year.    Lots of Muskol packed.

Have you tried the thermacell that screws onto a liquid fuel canister? Works wonders in the boat and aground camp.

Edited by Freshtrax

1 hour ago, Freshtrax said:

Have you tried the thermacell that screws onto a liquid fuel canister? Works wonders in the boat and aground camp.

I've got one, used it on a fly-in.  I dunno if it worked or I was too drunk to remember :)   

6 hours ago, BillM said:

Sterling, great info man! I'll look into that stuff to douse my Guidewear with :)

Did you by chance pick up the Permethrin on this side of the border?  

This is what you need to spray all your clothes with. TSC carries it. Do a search and you'll find lots of posts on using it for clothing. It'll last even up to 5 or 6 washings. https://absorbine.com/products/fly-control/ultrashield-ex/

https://sectionhiker.com/treating-your-clothes-with-permethrin/

Cheers

Camping offshore I like a few things to make life easier.  Not all are necessary.

I have a Cobra CB handheld radio that gives me the marine forecast. I check it in the morning before venturing out anywhere and it helps me decide which direction is likely best to start out if weather and lake conditions could become an issue.  I'll check it several more times during the day.  It has saved my arse and got me off the lake a couple times at the right time.

I take a urinal from work.  A big ole pickle pizz bottle would be fine too.  Only cause leaving the warmth of the tent at night sucks.

Always have two props and a few tools.

I like to throw down a big ole door mat at the bow of the boat. Shaking that out is easier than digging it out of the bottom of the boat later. Campers are always dragging sand and mud in. 

Wet wipes.  Cause bathing in that lake after ice out, ain't gonna be pleasant.

Full sized lawn chair, a good quality one, not the almost-disposable-fold-up-in-a-bag type. By weeks end, your back will thank you for a having a good place to sit.

A small table top propane bbq is also handy in case of a fire ban or if you just want to eat a nice bbq fish dinner (or burgers, sausages etc.) as opposed to pan fried or boiled dinner.

A good thick thermarest is also on my list.

My canoe tripping days are most likely behind me (hopefully not permenatly) after I hurt my back a few years ago. I've been doing the boat camping thing for the last 2 years now and these are my top items i would have never brought with me in the canoe.

a broad screen antibiotic from your doctor and a decent first aid kit.  A fish  I was trying to unhook once drove a treble in down to the shank while we were a very long way from a hospital, By the time I managed to get somewhere and get seen it was pretty close to losing the finger. 

• 1 month later...

I am heading up there mid June.. We are staying inland and may take a trip to Nipigon for some Pike fishing. If I had a bigger boat I would stay out on the lake on an island. I look forward to seeing your report!. I know the backroads can be interesting but I have been hunting moose in the area for a number of years which gives me an idea of where we will fish... I spend nights laying awake working on my list...