Hit by a car, now what??

grimsbylander

So today I was moving a mattress for my Mother in Law and while I'm standing at the back of my truck, the old lady across the street backs up and hits me while I'm carrying one end of the mattress. It was a solid jolt because I had my back turned to her and didn't see her coming. Hard to believe I didn't hear a Cadillac coming but neither did the guy on the other end of the mattress. She leaned out the car door and apologized before driving off to go about her day. I decided to report the incident because I was pretty sore and thought I should. The police officer said because she didn't take off before apologizing, there wouldn't be any charges. That's weird but whatever! I was getting more uncomfortable so I went to the hospital and sure enough, I have a concussion and whiplash.

What now? I've got a sore/stiff neck and headache( stiff knee, sore lower back, right hip! Geese) I think I'll take some time off work. Should I call my insurance company? A lawyer? Not sure what to do...just wait and see how I feel in a few days?

Since she's an old lady I'd leave her out of it. I don't know if you have benefits, but for an accident like that where you went to the hospital there shouldn't be a waiting period if you miss work. Hopefully you feel better and heal up quick.

You are right to report the incident and you should follow through on the insurance aspect as well.  If you don't do it now, and some diagnosed aspect comes up later, you wont have coverage. So definetly take it through the process.

As for the old woman, unfortunately you should ensure that there was a formal police incident report with her name/licence in the report.  At some point we will all become too old to drive safely.  And often it is the accumulation of police reports that have to be used as evidence to force the issue.  Virtually no senior willingly gives up their licence and the freedom that goes with it.  Think of it as saving her family the torture of trying to explain to nana or mom that she should not be driving.  Your report can help.

My dad is getting close to that line.  As bad as it may sound, I hope that people actually do report him if they see him doing things that are dangerous.  He still drives and is "OK", but the simple fact is that we have gotten to the point where none of us let him drive when we go out with him.  So it says something.  Is he OK to drive now.... I think so.  But there is a day coming when he should have his licence taken.  He won't let it happen, but a list of police reports will help us convince him (or have the decision made FOR him).

Edited by Canuck

Go to the Police and make an incident report,  today, also contact your insurance company. Make an appointment with your family Dr. tomorrow. Her insurance company will try and settle for up to 25K out of court if there was any minor injury, anything above 25K has to be filed in Superior Court. My father got into a fender bender and was slightly injured, I got him $22,000.00 without having a Lawyer represent him. My lawyer was the one that told me about the $25,000.00 insurance companies want to settle for. I hope your injuries weren't serious.

If anyone is concerned about an elderly parent etc. driving go see their family Dr. and tell him or her the situation, if they feel that person may harm someone or themselves driving the Dr. will pull their license  the same day. We had to do that with Dad. He blamed the Dr. as the Dr. never told him we initiated it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker