Ideas for drive in camping trip to good walleye lake up North

icefisherman

Some last minute changes in our 2018 schedule freed up vacation time this summer.

Looking for ideas and suggestions of a good Northern ON lake where I can take the family to. Likely a week worth of vacation. Walleye and numbers (not size) is the main goal, so kids can practice on some of those inland eyes vs. the lake Erie ones we chase every summer. 

Likely in July. Good beach area is a plus so wife is happy too ;-) But good walleye fishing is a must.

Have all the fishing  equipment, truck, boat/trailer even ATV if we can get it there....drive in (not fly in).

Have all the camping gear as well if we can use it in a crown land area.

Would appreciate recommendations from people who've done it and have been there....

Feel free to PM me if preferred.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

1 hour ago, icefisherman said:

Sorry, should have mentioned that...

Live  West of GTA. Considering we are going for a week up to 12-13 hrs of driving is fine.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

If you're willing to drive that far why not go to Quebec? You could make it to Mistassini which as far as I'm concerned, is the best fishery in the world. World class walleye, pike, lakers, and specks. Everyone there speaks english so that's not an issue.

Or you could go to say Lake Golean which is renowned for walleye. I fish this area yearly and the quantity is just insane, size not so much. 23 inch is the biggest you'll get, and 25+ is a trophy.

Otherwise maybe consider Nipigon?

You want nice beaches and to catch walleye hand over fist?  Lake Nippissing, problem is there isn't much camping.  You could do Restoule, and make the 45 minute trip to south shore Nippissing a few times and make a day of it.  The fishing is decent around restoule, but the walleye fishing is slower.  The run up to Nippising is worth it for pickerel. Don't be afraid to run far offshore. The picks stack up all over the lake on sand flats during the summer, and you can rig them, or bottom bounce or jig. I let the wind dictate what I do on any given day.  North bay or Callander are good places to stay. PM me and I can hook you up with the name of a nice lodge if you want a full week, or a clean motel close to the boat launch if you just want to stay a few days.  The lodge may be completely booked by now, but you could give it a try if your not stuck on the camping thing. The motel option is good if you want to just stay for a couple days of fishing then camp around restoule.

wakimi pp should be considered,excellent walleye fishing as well as pike.and although I have never been I have heard great feedback on camping and the walleye fishing at Fushimi PP .  Restoule is alot closer has a good beach,excellent hiking trails,very nice waterfront sites,some very good fishing for walleye,bass,pike and musky.. It is also a very short drive to Nipissing for some excellent walleye fishing.

Thanks for the great feedback guys....checking every one of your kind recommendations...We've been to Restoule (and Mikisew) few years ago. While camping was great we didn't do too well on fishing and are now looking for something further up North and off the beaten path but still accessible by Truck or by boat. So far really like the Fushimi PP....nice back country sites in and around the lake....have to read more and see how fishing is there....

Done a lot of reading over the weekend and noticed everyone talks about Onaman Lake as the walleye central. From what I understand no direct access to the lake but couple outfitters have boats stored there....have to check and see if we can stay at Fushimi PP but arrange for a day trip or 2 of walleye fishing on Onaman lake with one of the outfitters.

Please keep your suggestions coming...

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I think you should spend a night pouring over maps of some of the quieter areas of Northeastern Ontario, tons of great spots within 6-8 hours of you that will provide nice camping and tons of walleye.  From Matheson, to Shining Tree, to Foleyet and everywhere in between there are a million good spots to set up for a week with the family and hammer fish.  I can point you in the direction of a couple specific spots if you are interested.

AFAIK, Fushimi is now run by the municipality of Hearst....  as Ontario Parks closed the place years back. We went there every year .. for many years. Make damn sure you have a trailering cover on before you make the quest down that dusty road! Wonderful place.. 47 camp sites.

DCP03917.JPG

DCP03919.JPG

DCP03924.JPG

Edited by irishfield

If you choose to go to Onaman for the day be aware that the drive up the 801 can take awhile. You may have to dodge logging trucks as well. Pasha Lake may still have boats that you can rent for the day ( they are at the 5k mark).  You used to be able to drive right to the lake but there is a gate to limit access. 

So pics, no access to Onaman with my boat correct? Only option to fish it would be using some of the outfitters who have cashe of boats stored there?

Wayne,

not sure if it is my screen resolution but you sure look much younger on that picture buddy:D

Joey, please fee free to PM me. Went grouse hunting in the Shining tree area last fall but have never done fishing there. Lots of crown land for camping there for sure though.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

On 27/03/2018 at 6:02 PM, irishfield said:

AFAIK, Fushimi is now run by the municipality of Hearst....  as Ontario Parks closed the place years back. We went there every year .. for many years. Make damn sure you have a trailering cover on before you make the quest down that dusty road! Wonderful place.. 47 camp sites.

DCP03917.JPG

DCP03919.JPG

DCP03924.JPG

I stayed there 2 years ago. It's still a pp. Half the sites are seasonally rented but nice lake and you can just beach the boat at night.  No size for us but steady action.

If you're willing to drive all the way to Onaman, Jason's 2 Mile drive to camp north of Nakina is worth a look. https://namegosikaaoutfitters.com/

pros- a cabin (not a tent) fridge, stove, BBQ etc, beach, don't have to haul your boat, fast action fishing at the rapids

If you want to do the crown land, boat in, camping thing, Ramsey Lake south of Bisco lake had solid walleye fishing the last time I was there.

53 minutes ago, pics said:

Yes, you need to rent a boat from an outfitter at Onaman..I have never fished it due to the fact that we have easier access to smaller lakes in the area.. 

sounds weird, so they have a gate across and when you rent a boat from an outfitter you get a key to get through?

I'd think Bauers would have blocked the access to everyone if they were cutting it off

I believe that you have to walk in once at the gate.. The Ontario government created the conservation reserve back in the early 2000's.. Bauers has benefitted for sure but I don't think they had anything to do with it... There is a limit to the number of boat caches (15) for commercial operations and 29 private, the private ones being scattered at different ares of the lake.. We moose hunt up there with a trapper ( his zone) and the maze of old logging roads lead to a lot of interesting places... 

Pics,

let me make sure I understand this very strange arrangement for Onaman lake...

The only way one can fish there is by paying Pasha Lake Cabins, Bauers or Onaman river resort for using their cashe of boats on the lake?

From what I understand lot of people want to do it therefore you cannot fish Onaman for more than a day as you have to go in line again?

No way to carry your own small boat, or canoe or something pass the locked gate?

How about just walking in and fishing from shore?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

I think onaman has access/outfitter protection restrictions so if you don't have a commercial cache or use a outfitter for access you could get a $1500 dollar fine. If you go too the ganrac website you can download maps with a restriction index for the entire nipigon area

mnr will not allow vehicle wide clearing close to the lake, so its a portage of around 3km.

one warning the logging rds are hard on tires, windshields, headlight lens  if you are a worrier about dings and scratches on boats and trailers . a couple lakes i launched on had corduroy rds to the water and you needed hip waders. thats tinny country. i doubt i saw working lights on a third of the trailers i saw around kinghorn rd.

lake st joseph south of pickle lake is worth the drive