Gun amnesty (nf)

manitoubass2

maybe this topic hits a little closer to home because my family are gun owners, while i live in a neighborhood that has one of the highest incidences of gun violence in Canada. I think you could technically even call me a victim after a recent shooting in my apartment buildings lobby that made me and my girlfriend feel very unsettled. Its never nice going to your lobby and seeing it taped off and riddled with bulletholes.

Subsequently there have been two homicides within close proximity of my home as well, one where an innocent bystander was caught in the crossfire and killed.

Why are we spending a pile of resources changing a system that works, but ignoring a related system that appears to be entirely broken when it comes to illegal hand guns?

I think our time and energy is far better suited to fixing a real tangible problem then changing regulations to try and fix something that has had a few incidences fall through the cracks.

1 minute ago, AKRISONER said:

maybe this topic hits a little closer to home because my family are gun owners, while i live in a neighborhood that has one of the highest incidences of gun violence in Canada. I think you could technically even call me a victim after a recent shooting in my apartment buildings lobby that made me and my girlfriend feel very unsettled. Its never nice going to your lobby and seeing it taped off and riddled with bulletholes.

Subsequently there have been two homicides within close proximity of my home as well, one where an innocent bystander was caught in the crossfire and killed.

Why are we spending a pile of resources changing a system that works, but ignoring a related system that appears to be entirely broken when it comes to illegal hand guns?

I think our time and energy is far better suited to fixing a real tangible problem then changing regulations to try and fix something that has had a few incidences fall through the cracks.

That's binary thinking though, it's not an "either/or" thing. We can aim to combat illegal gun crime and also strengthen gun regulations to keep legal guns out of the hands of the unfit at the same time.

The self defense angle doesn't work for me. Currently the courts and our storage laws do not make using a legal gun for home defense realistic or practical. Having said that, you are probably more likely in Canada to accidentally kill yourself with your own gun than to be attacked in your own home by a complete stranger.

1 minute ago, Dutch01 said:

The self defense angle doesn't work for me. Currently the courts and our storage laws do not make using a legal gun for home defense realistic or practical. Having said that, you are probably more likely in Canada to accidentally kill yourself with your own gun than to be attacked in your own home by a complete stranger.

I think people think they are the kid from christmas story

Just now, BillM said:

Anyone who thinks they're going to break out their handgun, in the dark, shoot all the bad guys and save the day are out of their minds.

Anyone who thinks that is going to actually happen is just way too paranoid to have guns to start with. 

S. 

Canada is a very safe country when compared to the US and a lot of other countries.

If I was living in the US I'd definitely would feel a lot safer with a sidearm.  

And that is due to their gun laws and background check system.

If their system was similar to the Canadian one I think you would see way less gun violence over there. 

good words to end this on. Thanks to all for not winding up and getting to political or bashing each other. I personally hope that Canada never goes down the same road that the US has gone where a gun is needed to protect you from another gun. Once that box is opened it can never be closed no matter how heavy you regulate it. 

Art