Are we trying to run before we crawl? C/AV death today

Old Ironmaker

On 3/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

A question I have is will an AV be able to differentiate between a Dog running out on the road or a kid? We aren't supposed to stop or swerve for a Dog or any other future roadkill, but we do it naturally without thinking, I know I do without thinking about it. It may save wildlife along with Humans. More questions than answers this early in testing but 2022 is only 4 years away. I was watching Motoring 2018 a few weeks ago, someone with Transportation Canada or one of our watchdog organizations said we here in Canada are 20 years away from having AV's be the norm here in Canada.

A road driver at a company I worked for came over a hill one day and a cow was in the road, he swerved to miss it and lost control of the tractor trailer and was killed in the crash. I came over a hill one day in the tractor trailer I was driving and a cow was in the road, just guessing that it was farther away than his was, but I hit the brakes and was able to stop, how would a computer react?

3 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

A road driver at a company I worked for came over a hill one day and a cow was in the road, he swerved to miss it and lost control of the tractor trailer and was killed in the crash. I came over a hill one day in the tractor trailer I was driving and a cow was in the road, just guessing that it was farther away than his was, but I hit the brakes and was able to stop, how would a computer react?

faster, and more precisely. Its sensors and processor react faster than your brains capability to see the cow, realize that you need to brake, and then subsequently physically apply the brake.

It would do all of this in a fraction of the time.

Edited by AKRISONER

11 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

faster, and more precisely. Its sensors and processor react faster than your brains capability to see the cow, realize that you need to brake, and then subsequently physically apply the brake.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

As always a logical reply from Akrisoner. I also agree. Computers can make decisions without adrenaline, emotions and the like effecting or is it affecting) it's decision in a millisecond, we can't.

Much of my job responsibility was replaced by a Supervisory Computer system designed in Finland taking in thousands of flows, temps, pressures in a second plus a Mass Spectrometer doing gas analysis by the second making us redundant apparently.  However when the system went down the new guys and gals were lost. Thus all the calls at God awful times of the night and day. Including vacations. If the bleeder flame was blue I went back to what I was doing if it was orange I went into work.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Do autonomous cars sound boring to anyone else? I enjoy driving, and would probably be quite bored if just chauffeured around by a computer all the time. Subaru is even considering the sacrilege (already committed by BMW) of eliminating the stick shift from some models because it interferes with their safety features. http://www.core77.com/posts/75530/Will-Subaru-Kill-the-Manual-Transmission. Far cry from their racing/rally roots. 

I agree also Tom. I like driving a car not the other way around. We took a newer Caddy from Haldimand for a ride a few weeks back when we were shopping. By the time we got to the river I was already bored. The new to my wife's Kia is fun to drive. I drive it using the 6 speed auto/manual shifter. I'd rather have a clutch. Try finding a Gen Xer or Millennial that can use a clutch. A clutch is an anti theft device for the aforementioned drivers.

The only reason I will drive to Toronto now is to pick up my cheque for winning the lotto. The 407 is as close to TO I want to be, And there was a time I lived there and commuted to Hamilton for work. I want a self driving Helicopter if I had that commute today. We may not be too far off those either. 1 man drones are being developed.

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The only reason I will drive to Toronto now is to pick up my cheque for winning the lotto. The 407 is as close to TO I want to be, And there was a time I lived there and commuted to Hamilton for work. I want a self driving Helicopter if I had that commute today. We may not be too far off those either. 1 man drones are being developed.

Same here OI, haven't been in over 10 years and even then the last 2 times we parked at the Burlington Go station and took the train in to Union, still familiar enough with the University Yonge subway to get where I need to go even though it's been almost 50 years since my U of T days. They want to extend the train down here to Grimsby :wallbash: , fine if you want to go the long way around Burlington Harbour, think i'd just as soon still make the drive to Burlington, probably faster. 

On 3/23/2018 at 4:17 PM, Tom S said:

Do autonomous cars sound boring to anyone else? I enjoy driving, and would probably be quite bored if just chauffeured around by a computer all the time. Subaru is even considering the sacrilege (already committed by BMW) of eliminating the stick shift from some models because it interferes with their safety features. http://www.core77.com/posts/75530/Will-Subaru-Kill-the-Manual-Transmission. Far cry from their racing/rally roots. 

did you know that you basically cannnot purchase a ferrari or Lambo stick anymore? Basically the only way to get it is through a very custom even more so expensive order.

Paddle shifting in F1 completely changed that process...you know why...because just like the rest of the thread A computer is capable of depressing the clutch, rev matching your flywheel and engaging the clutch once again to make perfect gear shifts in a milisecond. 

Just watch an F1 drivers cockpit view they shift...the speed at which they can change gears going into and out of corners is stupid.

You dont have the abiliity to do this, but a computer sure as heck does, and thus its faster.

It sucks because I friggin love driving stick, but i havent driven a stick car since i sold my protege 4 years ago. It sucks but thats the reality of technology.

Edited by AKRISONER

5 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

did you know that you basically cannnot purchase a ferrari or Lambo stick anymore? Basically the only way to get it is through a very custom even more so expensive order.

Paddle shifting in F1 completely changed that process...you know why...because just like the rest of the thread A computer is capable of depressing the clutch, rev matching your flywheel and engaging the clutch once again to make perfect gear shifts in a milisecond. 

Just watch an F1 drivers cockpit view they shift...the speed at which they can change gears going into and out of corners is stupid.

You dont have the abiliity to do this, but a computer sure as heck does, and thus its faster.

It sucks because I friggin love driving stick, but i havent driven a stick car since i sold my protege 4 years ago. It sucks but thats the reality of technology.

I feel you but I'd say we should complain about the stick not available on those sexy cars when we can afford them :D

And 1 ms shift it's a bit exaggerated, it's more like 50-100 ms :P

I've been driving Jettas with the stick for the last 15 years and I love them so, think about one ;)

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Yep. It's a bit more understandable on a high-powered car like those though, since keeping that power under control while shifting could be difficult for the average driver. But on a Subaru? Nah, give me the stick and let me have fun. I feel like you loose your connection to the drivetrain, I guess I'm just a control freak.

Kind of reminds me of the last flying Vulcan bomber that was grounded because all it's systems are 50's era electronics and the knowledge to keep it flying is disappearing. If something goes wrong it's game over for the pilots. Compare that to a 40's era bomber, which can be flown as long as the airframe and engines are solid because all the systems are mechanical or simple electrics. 

16 minutes ago, BillM said:

Autos hold the power so much better then any manual will.  There's another reason why all the hypercars don't have manual options.   

What do you exactly mean by "hold the power" ? Cause neither me nor Google never heard of it :D

35 minutes ago, BillM said:

Autos hold the power so much better then any manual will.  There's another reason why all the hypercars don't have manual options.   

Hypercar-smipercar. I'll be saving my pennies for a Caterham Super 7 (if I fit in one). Great horsepower to weight ratio, and probably a whole lot more fun to drive than some overly-plush Lambo or Ferrari that was designed for a trust-fund kid to drive. 

3 minutes ago, Tom S said:

Hypercar-smipercar. I'll be saving my pennies for a Caterham Super 7 (if I fit in one). Great horsepower to weight ratio, and probably a whole lot more fun to drive than some overly-plush Lambo or Ferrari that was designed for a trust-fund kid to drive. 

I feel you...I'm going for the Ariel Nomad Tactical :P :D

11 minutes ago, Tom S said:

Drive a Lambo or a Ferrari before passing judgement  :)    I remember Clarksons original test of the Ariel Atom, still one of my fav TopGear episodes!   A buddy of mine owns one, it's absolutely insane.

Edited by BillM