Are we trying to run before we crawl? C/AV death today

Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, OhioFisherman said:

It's acceptable to allow the public to be guinea pigs until the bugs are worked out?

Those bugs have now killed a person (perhaps a couple more that I am not aware of).

Human drivers killed 1,858 people in Canada in 2015 alone.

Define acceptable.

Edited by Dutch01

2 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

You already do if you fly commercially, or live near a nuclear plant, drink treated water, go to the hospital for care, etc

I do use some of them, but I don't really have another choice.  I have a choice with my vehicle at the moment. I have a hard time seeing a 401 full of AV's.  Do they have a way of telling another vehicle they have to get into their lane to exit the highway?  Sorry not very knowledgeable about AV's and how they will fit into the system.  I do know that computers are not my friend and they are worse when they are not working efficiently.  I guess they would be okay with the newer generations that are comfortable with technology.  I see tech being forced on everyone from banks, entertainment to now AV's.

I couldn't afford one anyway.

Edited by jimmer

2 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

Those bugs have now killed a person (perhaps a couple more that I am not aware of).

Human drivers killed 1,858 people in Canada in 2015 alone.

Define acceptable.

Has it been determined that the fatality was caused by a bug? Or would have this happened anyway?

Just reading this now....it was so predictable that the first incident would spark the anti AV campaign. I'm sure the change outrage has happened multiple times though history like when the iron horses first hit the streets and when the first plane went down. But the reality of it is this, it's coming and if you don't believe it you're in denial. There's computers controlling traffic lights, air traffic control, your vehicle's onboard systems(ie ABS, throttle), planes, on and on. And all these things have "what if" circumstances everyday. 

I see people making decisions on the highway every damn day that a toaster could have done better. This is the evolution of technology and it may not happen tomorrow or next week but it's coming.

1 hour ago, Sterling said:

Has it been determined that the fatality was caused by a bug? Or would have this happened anyway?

That's a good question. People are assuming a human diver would not have hit the pedestrian. That may not be the case.

1 hour ago, Sterling said:

The news report I saw said the pedestrian who got killed walked into traffic not at a crosswalk and it didn't matter who or what was driving, the accident was inevitable.

Edited by chris.brock

I didn't start the tread as an anti A/V revolt. It may have morphed into one. I actually hope I'm still alive to see it become the norm. Heck look at all the money I will save flying across the country or to South America. I could be 90 and still drive. I wonder how much more an AV will cost than a conventional auto with a steering wheel and a throttle and brake pedal. I assumed when they come out it could be driven the conventional way, not without controls.

I remember my Noni telling me when they started putting in telephone and hydro poles they were afraid they would fall over onto their houses and kill someone. Never happen unless they were hit by an AV.

I've not heard from any of the auto guys guesstimate what they will cost.

(wow guesstimate is a spellcheck word)

Edited by Old Ironmaker

4 hours ago, chris.brock said:

The news report I saw said the pedestrian who got killed walked into traffic not at a crosswalk and it didn't matter who or what was driving, the accident was inevitable.

And there was a human behind the wheel also according to the report I read......This seems like a real world test that proved that some accidents may actually be unavoidable to the motorist.

Edited by G.mech

Has anyone here travelled to vancouver...you do realize that their entire skrytrain system does not have human's controlling it...Has there ever been an accident? Nope. Are there delays due to "driving style" or "signal issues" aka gridlock forming on the subway lines due to the variability of the conductors? Nope

Ever ridden the TTC??? enough said.

Edited by AKRISONER

I probably won't be around when this all comes into full operations, so I'm good. It might be cool to see a muscle car with no driver behind the wheel though.  Can the owner program the AV to do all the stuff one of those does?

I am for AV's  if they prevent deaths.

FYI: I was typing a response here and the technology said no you don't and booted me out of the site. LOL

Sorry I still don't trust it even though tech is part of my every day life.

A question I have is will an AV be able to differentiate between a Dog running out on the road or a kid? We aren't supposed to stop or swerve for a Dog or any other future roadkill, but we do it naturally without thinking, I know I do without thinking about it. It may save wildlife along with Humans. More questions than answers this early in testing but 2022 is only 4 years away. I was watching Motoring 2018 a few weeks ago, someone with Transportation Canada or one of our watchdog organizations said we here in Canada are 20 years away from having AV's be the norm here in Canada.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

In the circumstances seen in the video released by police, had a human driver hit and killed that person, it would've never been found guilty so, why blame the self driving car?
I'm 100% sure the technology on that car has better abilities to detect and avoid collisions than humans have...

Besides that, probably most people have no idea how much we're already exposed to fully automated equipment out there. Nowadays most planes take off, land and fly by themselves and how about laser surgury? You're trusting your eyes totally to a computer...

Justa few to mention...

On 3/20/2018 at 7:59 AM, BillM said:

So video will be released that will show that this accident was almost unavoidable, doesn't matter who was behind the wheel.  Apparently she came out of the shadows with her bike not more then 100ft away from a crosswalk.   Jaywalking has consequences I guess.  

I've seen the video.

She would have been smoked no matter who or what was driving unless the vehicle had some kind of radar system.

59 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I've seen the video.

She would have been smoked no matter who or what was driving unless the vehicle had some kind of radar system.

And that is exactly the problem...the car does incorporate radar (lidar) sensors that should have picked up the cyclist....at least according to the news report.