Seem any good movies?

Old Ironmaker

I ask this the same time every year for the past few after the Oscars are out.

We have seen Dunkirk and this weekend saw "3 Billboards in Ebbing Missouri." And tonight watched " The Shape of Water." Dunkirk was my favorite. Shape of Water was my wife's fave. I picked out 10 places I know  I recognized right from the 1st scene in Shape of Water, The creature from the black lagoon meets Helen Keller. My buddies bar on Locke St. was in it, The West Town. He was my buddy until I broke his nose 23 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations for hitting an idiot? Won best picture and they thanked Toronto. Hamilton City Hall isn't in TO folks. Those piles of sand were Pelletized Slag from Stelco. One of the scenes had cell towers in the background in the early 60's. I see a movie the 1st time and watch a movie the 2nd time. My  favorite so far was Dunkirk. 2nd was 3 Billboards, strange but entertaining. Need to see the others. I'll pass on the Best Picture winner "Creature From The Black Lagoon Love Story." Talk about fish lips.

Any favorites this year folks?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

45 minutes ago, akaShag said:

OIM are you seeing those in a movie theatre or at home on Netflix or what?  None of them are showing here in KIngston.

Doug

Rented them from Bell TV. $6.99 ain't cheap but cheaper than at the show even though we have a bunch of passes from the Scotia Bank Scene card. $6.99 won't get you a bag of popcorn at the show. I stopped renting DVD's at the corner store, they are all cheap copies and 90% of them don't work, usually right at the end of the movie. I complain and it falls on deaf ears.

5 hours ago, akaShag said:

OIM are you seeing those in a movie theatre or at home on Netflix or what?  None of them are showing here in KIngston.

Doug

A lot (LOT) can be found via an android box running Kodi.  New and old.  Netflix has a 3 year rule (or had) in Canada for new to them movies unless they make it or produce it.  

Edited by GBW

Netflix, Hoodo, android boxes running kodi, and it's all Greek to me. One guy says t"his is the best," the other says "no way this is". We really got into those black boxes 20 years ago to steal errr, intercept satellite channels, it drove me nuts so I just tapped out and never kept up with the technology. An old friend was the guy that took the whole "Are airwaves free or not" it to The Supreme Court. He lost, Bell and Rodgers had more lawyers then he did, many more. I promised my lady that when we get settled in our new place we will join the 21st century. I was told we don't have enough bandwidth with Xplornet out here in the boonies to stream well, that was a while back.

I'm getting old boys. If I were this age 25 years ago the VCR would be flashing "12,,,12,,,12,,,12" It takes ma a few hours to set the clocks on the car and truck. I was one the first in my crew to buy a VCR, around 1200 bucks in the early 80's. What we can use to make HD movies on our phones today cost 2 grand and weighed 10 pounds and the sound and video was crappola.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

"Good movies" is a contradiction these days. Far too many movies are poor redoes of box office successes. No originality and a lot of ham acting.  

There are some good ones and some absolute dogs. If you haven't seen Dunkirk do yourself a favour and see it. I know you will love it. We saw Birdman at the show a few years ago, when it won Best Picture I said that's it, if that the best they have I am going to write a screenplay about the characters on OFC. I have a few actors in mind to play a few of you nuts on here.

ladybird was really good

dunkirk was possibly my fave war movie ever...still not as good as the pacific tho but thats a miniseries...so it is what it is

black panther was cool but i friggin hate marvel movies so thats partially why it dampened it for me.

Get out was one of my favourite movies ever.

The most recent star wars was a bit of a dud for me.

Edited by AKRISONER

38 minutes ago, misfish said:

Fired up the dvd player this afternoon. Watched, RADIO. 

Is that the one with Cuba Gooding Jr.? Man Wayne you are in the wrong century. But to tell you the truth when we have a bad storm and the dish goes out or gets covered in snow I have "Black Hawk Down" cued up in the DVD player. I must have seen it no less than 25 times. My favorite war movie, but then there is "Saving Private Ryan" my second favorite.  had an Uncle that was with the US Army and landed on Omaha on D Day. He walked out of that movie in 5 minutes. He said it was exactly like it without the smells. Best mini series for a war flick was the Hanks/Spielburg productions of The Pacific and Band of Brothers. Amazing stuff.

Edited by Old Ironmaker