RIP Lefty Kreh

AKRISONER

for the fly guys around here, Lefty Kreh passed away yesterday.

My first fly rod was a TFO Lefty Kreh signature! 

"Dear friends,I am sorry to relay sad information to all of you.
Bernard Victor Kreh “Lefty” passed away today in the presence of his family. He passed without pain. He told us multiple times during the worsening of his illness how lucky he was to have so many friends. During these last few weeks he was so sick and without energy that he was unable to respond to any emails and the many phone messages left for him. I can say this was a-great comfort to him. 
There will be a celebration of his life in the upcoming weeks. We will update you when plans are made. 
Lefty would want us to celebrate life and not mourn him. 
During the course of the week that I’ve been here, one thing he kept mumbling was Spirit Springs, over and over. When I asked him, what or where that is, he simply replied, that’s where he’s going, to fishing heaven, to Spirit Springs. 
He passed peacefully and with no pain. He was surrounded by family and loved ones. 
At the time of his death, a hard wind shook the house as if he was taking the winds home to my Grandma.

As he got me into photography, he once told me he had to carry a camera with him because you never know when something may take your breath away and you want to take it home for later. 
So on ending this, I know myself and all of you are going to look to the water now, and if you come to a spot where something takes your breath away, I’m going to feel his presence each time and take a photo. That way I can take a bit of the inspiration and his spirit back home with me.

Tight Lines, best wishes, and All The Best,
Sam and The Kreh Family"

Edited by AKRISONER

Thanks for the link Tom. Until now I had never ever once heard of the gentleman. After reading just a snipped describing him I wish I had. He seems to be one in many a million. Diversify, I have to remember that word of wisdom.  Men like Lefty are a rarity. It would have been an honour to have met him even though I have only held a fly rod once in my life. He wasn't about fly fishing he was all about living. I put away something I have wanted to do for many years, just reading a small article about this man of men I am going to go dust it off and give it another shot. Diversify. Thanks again both Akrisoner and Tom.

lefty is almost like einstein when it comes to fly fishing...He literally had a different brain when it came to fishing, moreso maybe than any other person on the planet. 

He somehow took things that are notoriously complex and broke them down so that anyone could do it.

A great example of this, my father turned 65 this past fall and he is beginning to have trouble tying complicated fishing knots. His eyes are wary and his hands not as sturdy as they once were, regardless he was having great difficult tying to lines together recently, and low and behold I introduced him to the Lefty Kreh knot...if you can find me a more simple way of tying a two lines together, try me.

To literally invent knots, but have those inventions be something complicated in the most simple form really speaks volumes to how this man's brain worked. 

I owe my ability to double haul to lefty's videos...If only I could feel and look as effortless as he did when he casts lol