Sportsman Show any good?

captpierre

Went yesterday, wasn't too bad, especially with relative lack of people compared to the weekend. For the most part wandered around and looked at fishing tackle, some of the hunting and camping vendors had no tax sales going on (only briefly stopped at a couple), tackle shops had some bargain bins, basically what you would expect at a Sportsmen's Show. Was sort of disappointed in the lack of taxidermied specimens at the taxidermy booth, I suspect there would be more though as the show progresses if what they had last year is "par for the course".

I've worked sports shows for 30 years .................the 2 customers I hate.

1 the ones that goes to have a bad time. They say I'm going the and it will suck.

2 I can't possible learn anything I've read my blog and I'm a legend.

Beautiful please go talk to the Captain because NO DISRESCT I HATE MORINS. 

We were at the show yesterday for a few hours. For opening day on March break I would say it was dead. We went for something specific so the lack of crowds suited us just fine but most of the exhibitors looked bored to death and unfortunately showed it. Food court which is usually slammed had 75%+ empty tables which may have something to do with the crazy prices. There was the usual compliment of tackle, hunting and lodge exhibitors with what seemed like a lot of "filler" stalls. All in all it looked disorganized possibly due to being the first day. The free parking helps! 

BTW customers are your life blood and come in all shapes, sizes and personalities.......treat them all as "captains" and they will come back to you.

Took the kids yesterday , (8,4yrs) they loved all the activities , including rocking the trout pond lol. Some decent no Tax deals , but nothing insane .  Free parking is a bonus! for the day its100$ for me and the kids, including pay to play activities. Shows about the kids for me now .

We did hit SAIL on the way home , some great deals in the store . 

Was there yesterday to work OFATV booth, seems like a lot more ATVers coming on board, most seemed to think snowmobiling is dieing off at a rapid pace unless you go way north.  Took a quick walk around to the larger hall, found a lot of outfitters this year.  If I had to go for just a fun day, wednesday/thursday would be it,  other vendors say by the weekend it's a bloody zoo.

4 hours ago, Garnet said:

I've worked sports shows for 30 years .................the 2 customers I hate.

1 the ones that goes to have a bad time. They say I'm going the and it will suck.

2 I can't possible learn anything I've read my blog and I'm a legend.

Beautiful please go talk to the Captain because NO DISRESCT I HATE MORINS. 

You have to remember Garnet, Morins spend money too. Morins are your custimers. The rest of your post eludes me. I must be a Morin.

I just got back.  It is similar to other years.  Most places offering no tax; but not really outstanding deals.  If you are planning a big ticket purchase; then the no tax is a pretty significant savings.

Lots of seminars and activities for the kids.  It wasn't too crowded today.  I am sure evenings and weekends will be different.

I think that entering Marchbreak or Countdown will get you $3 off ticket prices if you buy on-line.

I picked up a pair of these for $15.  There was someone in hall 5 selling them for $20 a pair.  I got mine from the guy that is selling clamps for tarps.

https://www.amazon.ca/EZE-Docker-Portable-Temporary-Mooring/dp/B00W6LAE8Y

Edited by John Bacon

Pretty good show.  Decent hourly fishing seminars. Picked up a Muskie  Rod at the clearance booth for $50. Rapala  R-Type. Original price $259. Said it’s a discontinued rod. Crazy mark up on rods it seems.  Almost pulled the trigger on a TerraNova electric motor. Gotta measure the boat for shaft length ( old power drive)   Good day  - ended with nice sovlaki dinner at Zets  

If the guy is spend 25-100k on a rig. He/she can be anything including a moron.

A guy I'm thinking about was Lake Erie troller in the early Power Pro days. Wasted 1 hr

of my time litterly brow beating me and obnoxious. Then he went to all 5 of our store location 

at the show and brow beat every pro staff for 1 hour. Then he came back to booth

and spent his $20.

That sir Iron is a MORON.

These guys are not even 1% ers I politely tell or introduce them to Iron and walk away.

Interesting fact from show manger 67k thru show last year 68k 2 years age.    

11 hours ago, captpierre said:

Pretty good show.  Decent hourly fishing seminars. Picked up a Muskie  Rod at the clearance booth for $50. Rapala  R-Type. Original price $259. Said it’s a discontinued rod. Crazy mark up on rods it seems.  Almost pulled the trigger on a TerraNova electric motor. Gotta measure the boat for shaft length ( old power drive)   Good day  - ended with nice sovlaki dinner at Zets  

LOL   We did the Zets trip after our visit to the Fishing show a few weeks back.  I think a lot of guys do that.  Zets is one of the best places for an excellent, cheap and HUGE meal.  Don't tell too many people because that place just can't get any busier!  ;)

1 hour ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

LOL   We did the Zets trip after our visit to the Fishing show a few weeks back.  I think a lot of guys do that.  Zets is one of the best places for an excellent, cheap and HUGE meal.  Don't tell too many people because that place just can't get any busier!  ;)

Zets is always the best part of the day!

16 hours ago, captpierre said:

any good deals on the terrova?

13 hours ago, Garnet said:

Then he went to all 5 of our store location at the show and brow beat every pro staff for 1 hour. Then he came back to booth and spent his $20.s are not even 1% ers I politely tell or introduce them to Iron and walk away.  

ya this is common in any retail (and other environments as well). Highly annoying for sure but what you gonna do? You never know when that annoying tire-kicker will finally make a decision (if they ever do). Either way, its a fact of life.  Some people are what I call "time burglers".

24 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

ya this is common in any retail (and other environments as well). Highly annoying for sure but what you gonna do? You never know when that annoying tire-kicker will finally make a decision (if they ever do). Either way, its a fact of life.  Some people are what I call "time burglers".

Kinda like the citiots who ask a 1/2 hour s worth of questions before pulling the trigger on a $2 dish of cherry tomatoes.  Part of being in retail is what we call "putting on the show". Even if the obnoxious person does not buy a thing, there were a dozen or more customers who were listening, liked what they heard, and bought a lot of produce. After all I have 1000lbs of tomatoes and400lbs of pepper to move every week. 

14 hours ago, Garnet said:

If the guy is spend 25-100k on a rig. He/she can be anything including a moron.

A guy I'm thinking about was Lake Erie troller in the early Power Pro days. Wasted 1 hr

of my time litterly brow beating me and obnoxious. Then he went to all 5 of our store location 

at the show and brow beat every pro staff for 1 hour. Then he came back to booth

and spent his $20.

That sir Iron is a MORON.

These guys are not even 1% ers I politely tell or introduce them to Iron and walk away.

Interesting fact from show manger 67k thru show last year 68k 2 years age.    

I get you Garnet. My wife has been in retail since she was 14 and her Mom had a couple of Merle Norman stores in Niagara and Hamilton. She comes home with bite marks on her tongue still because some Maroon wasted an hour of her time picking out a lipstick then returns it used 10 minutes later "This was used when I got home so I want my money back." The Maroon customer had the lipstick on when she came back 10 minutes later and she lives 20 minutes away. Apparently she does this regularly, and isn't the only one. If it's fragrance Tich just gives her a sample because she knows she is going to use it then return the open 100 buck perfume the next day. I'll stop there.

The 1st Sportsman Show I went to was in 74' when I was living on Roncesvalles in TO. Went for many years. It was common to come home with a sack of goodies including line and tackle samples, great prices on rods, reels and guns then. No FAC required in 74'. I bought a nice 12 gauge pump from the Outdoor Store booth for something like $60.00, still have it. I didn't go for about 20 years. The last time I went it was more of a Home Show than a Sportsman's Show. Many builders and sellers of prefab cottages like Holiday and Viceroy Homes and real estate guys selling lots. I don't want to see BBQ's and lawn furniture at a Sportsman's show. I was told the little Mom and Pop tackle and hunting stores couldn't afford the prices for space at the CNE. I'll tell you how long it's been Bob Izumi was skinny. Maybe it's changed, I hope it has.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The 1st Sportsman Show I went to was in 74' when I was living on Roncesvalles in TO. Went for many years. It was common to come home with a sack of goodies including line and tackle samples, great prices on rods, reels and guns then. No FAC required in 74'. I bought a nice 12 gauge pump from the Outdoor Store booth for something like $60.00, still have it. I didn't go for about 20 years. The last time I went it was more of a Home Show than a Sportsman's Show. Many builders and sellers of prefab cottages like Holiday and Viceroy Homes and real estate guys selling lots. I don't want to see BBQ's and lawn furniture at a Sportsman's show. I was told the little Mom and Pop tackle and hunting stores couldn't afford the prices for space at the CNE. I'll tell you how long it's been Bob Izumi was skinny. Maybe it's changed, I hope it has.

You lived on Roncy back in the day???   We lived just off Howard for a couple of years. Do you remember the little Mom and Pop tackle shop  that used to be on Roncesvalle? They used to be at the Sportsman Show before it was pricey..

Yea Bruce we lived on Hyde Park Blvd. If I had that place today I would be a multi millionaire if I had bought it. People talk about ridiculous prices of homes today in TO, they were ridiculous back then compared to Hamilton, just not as ridiculous. No I don't remember the tackle shop, lucky I can remember living in Toronto it was so long ago.

The Toronto Sportsman Show holds a lot of very fond memories for me when I was a kid! I used to belong to The Toronto Anglers & Hunters club back then and when I was 15 years old (Mid '70's), I pretty much spent the week of march Break there going back and forth on the street car. Good times for sure!

The recent shows are not a shadow of what was back then, but none the less, I went on Friday afternoon for a few hours. It was okay. We bought a few lures and some new line. Listened to John Anderson's Musky talk and talked to quite a few outfitters. JB's Fishing depot had some buy 5, get one free on Rapala's and such. Some No tax as well.

I think in future, I will skip the Spring Fishing Show and just do this one. They are too close together. This show was spread out in a very awkward pattern though. Way too much distance between halls. Still a decent way to spend a few hours when it is too cold to be outside right now.

Finished up with a nice dinner afterwards at Montana's. It does seem like they close too early for a Friday and Saturday night when the show is only on for a few days. Buy your tickets online and use code "OFAHmember" for $5 off admission!

Went for 1/2 a day. The grandkids had fun. 3 out of 4 caught trouties in the pond. The 2 older girls played the fish simulator with some help.  I hobbled along as best as could with the cast. Could not browse as much with the kids racing through everything. Want to to talk robbery?? The son got a pizza for his clan....$36

39 minutes ago, LostAnotherOne said:

This time there's protesters outside the building lol. 

The words Toronto, and Sportsman Show don't really go together anymore, maybe they should call it The Toronto Outdoors All people and Gender and Sexual Preferences Show to avoid this stuff.

protesting what?

I might go tomorrow but if the weather is nice, might not.