Holy Smokes I caught a Lake Trout

Rizzo

When a last minute decision was made to go to Muskokas to target Lake Trout the other day the first thing I did was come here for a bit of advice. Never having tried to catch a trout I needed all the help I could get. After the long drive up from Guelph it was nice to have some success! Although this is a pretty teeny trout, it was a gorgeous fish. As it neared the hole I was really disappointed...saw those spots on its side and actually thought it was a dink pike rather than the fish I was trying to catch. I tell you a tiny little trout is a very pretty fish. I did catch a bigger one a short time later, but no picture of that one...it was bigger, but not by too much! Either way...a personal best first laker and then another personal best to beat it. Speaking of personal bests, why stop at two in a day? Fishing with me isn't fishing unless an incidental walleye is caught. I am notorious for catching walleye when going after some other species. Since I rarely eat fish, walleye can be more pest than anything else to me.  Well did I ever get one this time. I regularly catch big walleye (7-9lbs) while musky fishing...but this one out did them all! I got a super-tanker of a walleye (30 inches long, 19 inch girth) fishing an emerald shiner in around 35 feet of water, one foot off bottom. Not sure what this brute would have weighed but I am thinking over ten pounds at least. Being so fat it was a challenge getting it both up, and then back down, the hole. Had to top the day off with an incidental walleye, and for once I am happy I did!

Screenshot_2018-03-14-18-05-58.png

pickerel.jpg

I'm with you on this one Rizzo! Well..........with the exception of catching a tank Walleye! Never been that lucky!  I have also never caught a Laker....through the ice or open water. Those small ones sure did look nice. Nice outing to end the ice season!