Stoney Lake/Clear Lake Area?

DJGeneral

hey guys my girlfriend rented a cottage for my birthday on stoney lake right where it meets clear lake if that makes sense lol

i just wanted to know the ice conditions we're going up next weekend and i wanted to know if i should bring my ice fishing stuff or if there will be open water?

any help would be appreciated thanks!

I'm on Clear and from here it looked like a lot of open water at the top of the lake just a few days ago and now it seems like it's skimmed over again with the colder temps. Lots of fast current and high water going thru Burleigh so I would think the area your gonna be staying will be unsafe but that's just my opinion and other areas may be OK so maybe check with whoever owns the cottage.

Sorry I can't be more help but my ice fishing days ended many decades ago LOL

36 minutes ago, lew said:

I'm on Clear and from here it looked like a lot of open water at the top of the lake just a few days ago and now it seems like it's skimmed over again with the colder temps. Lots of fast current and high water going thru Burleigh so I would think the area your gonna be staying will be unsafe but that's just my opinion and other areas may be OK so maybe check with whoever owns the cottage.

Sorry I can't be more help but my ice fishing days ended many decades ago LOL

Thanks a lot Lew this gives me somewhat of an idea

by the looks of the map ill be staying in cassidy bay is that close to you Lew?

im hoping for no ice so i can get a line wet!

We fished that exact area for years, Burleigh Falls to the far end of Clear Lake but never ice fishing as there was no ice fishing there. The last time was at least 13 years ago, it was still productive. I might have asked for the gift be delayed for a few months.

Lew, I almost cried the last time I was there. Burleigh Falls looks like any other strip of commercial land in any city or big town in Southern Ontario. What a shame. Is Lovesick Lake Cmp still there or did they build a McMansion on it? I know where we stayed on Clear they sold and someone built a 5,000 sqft and 2500 sqft cottage and boathouse on it.

DJ, check the regs, most game fishing may be out of season until May, I think it is actually but check for yourself. Have fun.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

20 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

We fished that exact area for years, Burleigh Falls to the far end of Clear Lake but never ice fishing as there was no ice fishing there. The last time was at least 13 years ago, it was still productive. I might have asked for the gift be delayed for a few months.

Lew, I almost cried the last time I was there. Burleigh Falls looks like any other strip of commercial land in any city or big town in Southern Ontario. What a shame.

heard a rumor there are crappies in there thats what im hoping to hook up into

can you verify thay for me ironmaker? not interested in game fish Ironmaker!

Edited by DJGeneral

36 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Lew, I almost cried the last time I was there. Burleigh Falls looks like any other strip of commercial land in any city or big town in Southern Ontario. What a shame.

No idea what you're referring to John,  Burleigh Falls is as gorgeous as it has ever been and in NO way looks like what your describing. I've lived here for 8 years but have camped and fished this area my entire life and it basically looks the same now as it did when I was a little kid.

Here's some recent pics of Burleigh Falls and I see nothing resembling commercial land.

Sorry for the hijack GJGeneral, enjoy your trip and good luck with the fishing.

010-2.jpg

012.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

021.jpg

I live on Buckhorn Lake, just a couple lakes up the Trent system from Burleigh.  Stoney and Clear are approx 30 min drive from my place.

No one is on the ice on the Trent Severn lakes.  Ice in most places is gone ... and in the places where it was thickest and had huts .... all are empty.  I drive by Chemong and Buckhorn every day to-and-from work and the huts I see all winter are gone and have been for approx 3 weeks.   It is possible there may still be the odd place that has ice but to get to it may be an issue.  I would advise against it.

8 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

I live on Buckhorn Lake, just a couple lakes up the Trent system from Burleigh.  Stoney and Clear are approx 30 min drive from my place.

No one is on the ice on the Trent Severn lakes.  Ice in most places is gone ... and in the places where it was thickest and had huts .... all are empty.  I drive by Chemong and Buckhorn every day to-and-from work and the huts I see all winter are gone and have been for approx 3 weeks.   It is possible there may still be the odd place that has ice but to get to it may be an issue.  I would advise against it.

Thanks dude! I guess ill be bringing my regular fishing gear up next weekend!

No problem.

Here is a new webcam setup @ Burleigh Falls Inn.  It is right next to the popular Burleigh Falls rapids that is photographed above in this thread.

http://www.benlo.com/cottagecam/Burleigh/

When looking at this end of the lake from this Webcam, on the immediate left is the locks to Lovesick.  On the immediate right is Burleigh Falls rapids.  What you can see is common in most of the lakes here now.  Open water in the areas of water movement ... and very thin ice in the areas of little to no water movement.

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler

20 minutes ago, jimmer said:

I live on Pigeon Lake and I wouldn't recommend going on any of the kawartha lakes, as others have said. I am disappointed as I am usually ice fishing into the beginning of April on most years.

i know it can be a bummer but hey theres always next year!

i wasnt looking forward to ice anyways was hoping for open water so i can fish a bit in the mornings when im up there

Lew, I may have experienced the effects of numerous concussions. I may be thinking about a different fishing hole. Getting back up there with my boat is on my list of places to go before I can't. All those days fishing from the rocks on the right side of the falls nearly killed me. Watching guys haul in BIG Walleye, especially in the fall was torture. I still have a nice scar from slipping on a rock, at dark, after hitting the hotel in town, add 1 concussion. That was after I got hit by a Taxi the same day going for dinner, add 1 more concussion and a second visit to the Hospital in Peterborough. That doesn't include the day we thought we could walk across the rapids to get to the island in the centre of the falls to fish/scuba dive, not easy but we did it, no concussion that I can remember. Maybe I better not go back up there, ya think.

I have caught a total of exactly 1 Crappie in my life DJ, by accident. So I'm not the guy to ask, sorry.

6 hours ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

Just for fun .... my recent Instagram post which is relevant to this thread.

The chart is amazing KawarthaAngler. Who started it in the 1800's? I know it wasn't you. I am surprised ice out was so late there last year. We didn't have any ice here on Erie last year, zero all  winter and none in 2016 as well. 2014 and 2015 was a real old fashion winter. The last of the ice here was gone this weekend. Thanks for that chart, neat.