Outboard service

gino

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has a good outboard mechanic, or a shop that he would recommend in Kitchener Waterloo area. "Good" meaning someone that won't charge you and arm and a leg...and knows what he's doing... I have a 9.9 hp 4 stroke that i need looked at before the season starts, Motor ran good last year, but i think it needs a little attention.

Thanks!

Gino

We do some marine repairs here outside of Dunnville On. I'm not the marine mechanic, I'm the parts expeditor and The Ironmaking Lunch Chef with a major in Boat Detailing. I have no idea why guys ask to do work on their boats when the Maple Sap is being gathered then complain the boat won be ready for the May 24 weekend, or earlier. Why not bring it in at the end of Fall or early winter at least? No way the Marine Whisperer would get to it until the end of April, maybe. A guy came in with a 2 page list of some major problems and "I need it by May 1st!." Asked when the last time the boat ran he says, "Not more than 5 or 6 years ago at the most, but maybe 7." And the thing is full of twigs and leaves. It's tough to turn away business but sometimes you have to rather than give a guy a line of Bull.

For any of you young fellas have good mechanical and a good sence of business, take the Marine Mechanics course and open a business within 30 KMS of a Great Lake. If you are any good at it you can write your own ticket if you can budget, have a good business plan and execute that plan. Oh and work like Hell and not complain. I can complain I'm just the cook.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I realize you aren't close Gino. We rebuilt a StarCraft glasser over the last month where the floor was absolutely rotted to the core. I'm surprised the I/O didn't break through the hull it was so bad. The gent is from west of St. Thomas, no one would touch it from Sarnia to, well Dunnville. Good luck Gino.

I have a beauty 12 ft Lund aluminum fitted with a Johnson 9.9 hp 4 stroke. Boat is in a great shape, outboard is awesome, sips gas and runs all day. Love the set up. It might need a carb  cleaned , that's all.

I know, some people don't take care of they're rigs and expect miracles from a shop. That's the way it goes.

I'll find someone that is close to KW.

Thanks

Gino, if you can wash the dishes you can clean a carb if you can get the carb off. It ain't Rocket Science. You Tube is your friend. Should you wish I can walk you through it. PM me if you wish Gino. There are many others here that can help you with it as well.

Before you even take a tumb rench to her, why do you think you need the carb cleaned. It isn't a bad idea to clean the carb regularly as  P.M. I find 2 strokes and bad, old, cheap unconditioned gas makes carb cleaning all the more important. If I were you I would join iboats.com. Those guys are good, really good. They would be able to walk you through it step by step, bolt by bolt, screw by screw. They have the patience of Jobe. They may even have a video for you. Like I said it's pretty simple. They don't always agree but they are very helpful. Kinda' like the folks around here Gino. There is a member here that would do it for you free of cost, just to show you how to do it. Big Cliff. Big man, but an even bigger heart.

2 minutes ago, rockin-steelhead said:

Gino, I deal with Blue Sky Marine in New Hamburg a lot. I can check with another buddy to see if he has some free time as well to look at it for you. 

Welcome to OFC rockin-steelhead. You are getting into the swing of things here early. That's what OFC is all about. Thanks for the offer of help, it's what OFC is all about, not just talking about fishing and the big one that got away.

Again welcome aboard.

5 hours ago, porkpie said:

Blue sky is decent.  For good, you need to head up to Priceville and see Mia and Ron.  It's worth the drive, they are good people and Ron has many years of experience.

image.png

Wow, this surprised me. I know that area well and never thought "marine" for Priceville. Just not a lot of water around there other than Eugenia really.

Doesnt matter though, I'd use them if they're good and my buddy still lives 5 minutes from them...good reason to visit!

Thanks for the info.

13 hours ago, rockin-steelhead said:

Gino, I deal with Blue Sky Marine in New Hamburg a lot. I can check with another buddy to see if he has some free time as well to look at it for you. 

Thanks a lot! Let me know if your buddy is available...message me on private if it's more convenient for you.

Thanks again!

Gino

5 hours ago, porkpie said:

Blue sky is decent.  For good, you need to head up to Priceville and see Mia and Ron.  It's worth the drive, they are good people and Ron has many years of experience.

image.png

Thank you!

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Wow, this surprised me. I know that area well and never thought "marine" for Priceville. Just not a lot of water around there other than Eugenia really.

Doesnt matter though, I'd use them if they're good and my buddy still lives 5 minutes from them...good reason to visit!

Thanks for the info.

Yes, odd place, but I guess they service Eugenia as well as having a fair amount of Owen sound business.  It takes me a little bit longer to go there rather than the local place, but I have more confidence in Ron!

Im in total shock...but not entirely, at the total lack of suggestions...it really seems like my experience with marine mechanics is not that far from the experience of others around here. 

Weve got a guy in Pointe Au Baril thats pretty good, but the problem is that he doesnt always do all of the work because he also runs the marina...depending on the job, it either gets done right, or gets done terribly. 

Doesnt sound far from finding a good ski poo mechanic either.