darkwater

set up for early season brook trout?

im going on a trip to 2 mile lake near nakina late may for a week.there is speckled trout fishing her and i have little experience fishing them,only stream fishing for small trout.i have never caught on over a lb.the fishing will be in a river with good current and i imagine higher water.i am not going to attempt fly fishing because i have no experience and im not spending valuable time there learning the craft.i have ultralight and light spinning gear,a bunch of egb spoons,other spoons and small spinners to use up there....any advise for a newb?

im not new to fishing,i have good experience with other species,just not specks

I find in that area the brookies are generally larger and they prefer a larger bait like a #3 Mepps spinner or a 1/3 or 2/5 ounce Little Cleo spoon. I'd go with the Little Cleo and fish it in fast moving water.

Bring a few floats and split shots.  Pretty sure CKewley slammed them pretty good at Trident Lake fishing the rapids with a simple float rig and a worm.  Maybe throw in a square billed crankbait as well.  Brookies love them and they won't hang up in the rocks as much as spoons and spinners.

8 hours ago, darkwater said:

im guessing the heavy cleos do better in rapids?

Exactly. In real heavy water the heavy spoon will get you down a bit more than a spinner.

Back to the bigger bait thing, my brother caught a brookie on a 3.5 inch 5 of diamonds pike spoon, lol.

5ofD.JPG

My first Nipigon brookie was on a big 5 of Diamonds, lol!

As for spring brookies in smaller lakes, hard to beat a spinner + worm combo.

Edited by BillM

Leave the ultralight at home.  Big brookies fight way over their weight class, especially in fast current.  Late May can be quite early that far north, so water will be very high.  You will figure out pretty quick if they will be willing to chase down and hit hardware, or if you will have to slow down.  As mentioned, a worm under a slip float is kinda tough to beat, although if they're crushing spoons, that is the ultimate way to catch them, and will result in less deep hooked fish.