NF. Power packs?

tender52

Ok. Heres the deal. I have access to hunt 14 acres of prime real estate. 14 acres isnt a lot of land but my boss is letting me use his 15 ft trailer ( 60 or 70s something) to use, if I gut it and give it a remake. No issue there. But placing it on 14 acres with a gas generator for heat is my real only reason. Fire up one of those and say goodbye to the Deer from the area. 

I have done some research on power packs but with almost nothing to recharge it with will be a issue.

Some say 36hrs to fully charge. and some say 12 hrs if you plug it in the car with the engine running. Thats not happening. 

I used to have a wood stove in my house. But i really cant stand the smell any more..  

any Ideas will be put to good use.

Cheers

Colin

6 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I use my Buddy heater in my camper when it's cold.

Can't stand listening to the fan on my campers furnace run all night long.

If you can hear the fan Dave, you didnt drink enough rum. :wacko:

1 minute ago, tender52 said:

No 15 ft isnt big at all  It might be 12ft as tongue to tip is 15 ft. was hopeing a space heater would work. would using a Buddy heater with the window open a crack be enough ventilation?

Yup. 

18 minutes ago, tender52 said:

No 15 ft isnt big at all  It might be 12ft as tongue to tip is 15 ft. was hopeing a space heater would work. would using a Buddy heater with the window open a crack be enough ventilation?

A CO detector would probably be a good idea just in case.  I think you can get battery operated ones.

Edited by John Bacon

3 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

A CO2 detector would probably be a good idea just in case.  I think you can get battery operated ones.

True. I do have a little buddy. But it has a flame. Do the big buddy have the same or is it more radiant?  They should be going on sale soon.

Seriously, contrary to what has been said, I will never use an open flame non vented heater in an enclosed space, windows cracked open or not.  Many people have died from them.  I won't use one with an auto low oxygen sensor either, if it fails to shut down, you won't wake up either.

If it's a '60s or 70's trailer it may well have a convection heater vented to the outside, no fan inside either.  If it does, see if it still works and use it.  I had one in a 78 trailer, it was superb.   I can get 2 nights from a group 27 battery to run my furnace in the present trailer. 

9 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Seriously, contrary to what has been said, I will never use an open flame non vented heater in an enclosed space, windows cracked open or not.  Many people have died from them.  I won't use one with an auto low oxygen sensor either, if it fails to shut down, you won't wake up either.

If it's a '60s or 70's trailer it may well have a convection heater vented to the outside, no fan inside either.  If it does, see if it still works and use it.  I had one in a 78 trailer, it was superb.   I can get 2 nights from a group 27 battery to run my furnace in the present trailer. 

They seem to be fine in huts, and they are vented ? 

If you really want to stay warm, get a Caterpillar heater. LOL J/K

10 hours ago, tender52 said:

x2 on above advice, do yourself a favor and get a CO detector.

Edited by Dutch01

It's 14 acres...those deer will know exactly where you are the well before you start a gen. I used to cut a lot of wood when living at home as a teenager and almost like clockwork, after chainsaws running all day there would be deer tracks right through the middle of where we worked. It happened so often we joked they could at least have stacked some wood.

6 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

It's 14 acres...those deer will know exactly where you are the well before you start a gen. I used to cut a lot of wood when living at home as a teenager and almost like clockwork, after chainsaws running all day there would be deer tracks right through the middle of where we worked. It happened so often we joked they could at least have stacked some wood.

In winter when browse is scarce, the sound of chainsaw is like ringing a dinner bell to hungry deer.

1 minute ago, dave524 said:

In winter when browse is scarce, the sound of chainsaw is like ringing a dinner bell to hungry deer.

That's it exactly Dave. The small brush not worth cutting was the buffet. We used to cut cedars as well for hydro poles...those cedars buds brought them it too.

One of our best runs is the ridge directly behind the hunt camp.  First thing in the morning right after breakfast.  It's a 2 minute walk to some of the best watches. The generator usually starts up right around 5:30am.  Quite a few deer have been shot on that ridge!

Edited by porkpie

4 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

x2 on above advice, do yourself a favor and get a CO detector.

My camper has one from the factory and it's never gone off when using my Buddy heater in my popup camper.

I do crack the window by my head just in case.

The heater sits on the table about 3 1/2' away from the CO detector.

3 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

My camper has one from the factory and it's never gone off when using my Buddy heater in my popup camper.

I brought one a few years back to an ice bungalow on 'Nip. My buddy was drunk and cold and thought it would be a good idea to turn on the gas oven for extra heat. He passed out of course, and luckily we were all awoken by the CO detector or we might not be here right now. I'm a believer.

32 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I think it is still best to have it.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 8:49 PM, John Bacon said:

A CO detector would probably be a good idea just in case.  I think you can get battery operated ones.

Not just in case, a MUST for a CO monitor.  Yes a few 6V batteries operated may save your life. I know of no 12V booster pac that will last more than a few car/truck/boat battery boosts depending on the compression of the engine. not as a long term heat source. What Outdoorsman doesn't love the smell of a burning log? You don't that's who.

If this is going to be for an extended period of time and not just a weekend here and there I would install a permanent vent to take the waste gases out and away from the trailer. Install a few Solar panels to start and then add on as you require more electric energy.  I have a little 1 burner Coleman stove we cook on in a well ventilated hut. It's strange but in many US states a person can heat t heir entire home with gas burners that have zero venting and be deemed to be safe. ( I personally don't think it is the safest thing to do), but as soon as you cross the border into Ontario they are unsafe.

A question I have always had and HVAC guys and safety experts including me have not been able to answer is this. " Why can I not legally heat a home with an unvented gas heater but when cooking a big meal I can have 5 burners on full and an oven at 500F and CO isn't an issue. I have a CO detector in the kitchen and it has never alarmed except to test. Why? The room is very, very tight too.  I know CO will kill you if you use a gas BBQ indoors including a garage (low efficiency=higher % of CO in waste gas) but all that unvented waste gas in a Kitchen doesn't,,,,, usually.

Edited by Old Ironmaker