Are Polarized Fishing Glasses worth it

LittleWorm

6 hours ago, chris.brock said:

thanks for sharing.  I'm in the market for a new pair, and these fit the bill and look nice too!

I know I wrote a book on Oakley's but I have tried a few different brands.

Oakley, I have had multiple pairs in both regular and polarized over the years. They seem to be the most comfortable and their lenses are great.

Maui Jim (since the were mentioned. I had the sport with ruby lenses. Great pair of indestructible glasses and are super light, I did not however find theym great for fishing. Great for day to day though

Ray Ban (no idea the model) Great clarity but nothing better than Oakley and because they were open around the sides, let a lot of light in.

Revo. Guide small. These are my current day set. They have great clarity, shed water like no tomorrow (no waterspot. I have the blue water lens

They also come with a float that goes around your head (I never used this). The downside is they are not very comfortable..

In all honesty, I would still go with Oakley over any of these other ones. They just work better. I will either be going back to another set of Oakleys or buyng some Costa's.

The biggest thing to look for is that the frame does not allow like onto the backside of the lens. This just seems to help with seeing deeper into the water column.

1 hour ago, LeXXington said:

Costco has some really nice ones.  2x maui jims

x3.

I cant be out with out them. I do get caught from time to time and I feel it pretty fast as my left eye reminds me, hey stupid, get your shades on. dumbass.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but the other big reason to always fish with glasses is safety.  A few years back I had a steelhead shake off as I was about to beach it ... hook popped out, the bend-over rod recoiled and a split shot cracked the lens of my (prescription) polarized lens. If I hadn't been wearing the glasses, I would have caught that sinker with my eyeball ... not a pretty thought.

I won't fish without them. Ever.

Edited by craigdritchie

2 hours ago, craigdritchie said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but the other big reason to always fish with glasses is safety.  A few years back I had a steelhead shake off as I was about to beach it ... hook popped out, the bend-over rod recoiled and a split shot cracked the lens of my (prescription) polarized lens. If I hadn't been wearing the glasses, I would have caught that sinker with my eyeball ... not a pretty thought.

Someone did.

Keep in mind that they are also a safety device for incoming or outgoing lures.

11 hours ago, chris.brock said:

These would also make great backup glasses and for that price it's manageable to have different lens shades on hand.

2 hours ago, craigdritchie said:

Haven't we all!!?? lol When I was young I got a big 'ol plug snagged in a fallen tree. You guessed it...one good tug too many and that this came back to the boat like a rocket; smacked me right between the eyes. Mono stretches really well and those double trebles help it fly!! LOL My glasses saved me and I wear them constantly now.

I knew a guy that fished Lake O for salmon and used to joke he didn't need good glasses because he didn't need to see the fish! At the end of every day his eyes looked like pee holes in the snow from squinting all day. Finally he wore a old pair of H2O's I had...the joking stopped and he bought decent glasses. Miraculously, he said he doesn't get headaches now when he's out too long! geesh

Walmart use to sell Berkley Polarized Sunglasses for believe it or not..........$5 . . .  I purchased 7 pairs over several visits there. 

My boat has 2 pairs, my truck has two pairs, my wife's car has one pair, the fridge on my back yard deck holds one pair and the last pair is in the house.

19 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

These are my river fishing glasses.

The readers at the top are way better for this purpose.

You aren't looking through the readers when you are looking where you are going when wading.

A big plus in my book.

http://www.habervision.com/Belize-Black-Brown-Upper-Bi-Focal-250-Click-for-more-info_p_73.html

Interesting, thanks for posting, I don't do much wading, but yeah, when climbing over rocks etc, you could easily miss a step with the reader part at the bottom. I'm just waiting till next year when my benefits renew, then I'm getting a pair of decent prescription graduated bifocal polarized shades.

20 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

These are my river fishing glasses.

The readers at the top are way better for this purpose.

You aren't looking through the readers when you are looking where you are going when wading.

A big plus in my book.

http://www.habervision.com/Belize-Black-Brown-Upper-Bi-Focal-250-Click-for-more-info_p_73.html

Yeah , when I got my first pair of bifocals I thought I had shrunk a foot the ground seemed much closer . My uncle was a mechanic, he had a set of prescription bifocals with the reader at the top over 30 years ago for working under a vehicle up on a hoist. 

edit; somewhere I have seen flip down readers that you can attach to glasses maybe a Lee Valley catalog that would work for wading.

Edited by dave524

Polarized sunglasses are an absolute necessity in my mind. I can't remember the last time I went for a walk along a stream or fishing without them. I have always bought smoke grey lenses so I can't speak to the benefits of other colours. The safety aspects have already been mentioned but I would add that sunglasses will also help getting branches in the eye when walking through the woods to your favourite trout spot.

I also use circular polarizing filters on my camera to cut the glare in the sky or through the water. The difference is amazing and much better pictures.

Jon

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

been very happy with my Spy Discords, ive had them for 4 years they are very comfortable and dont make you look like a middle aged white guy or guy fieri 

Lol. That's funny because it's true

Heaven forbid I ever wear these backups I have lol. Most are nice slim fit glasses, lightweight. Then I have one pair that makes me feel like I'm wiz khalifa ?????

theres a changing tide in fishing fashion...a buddy and I clued into about 5 years ago that there was a market of fishermen who were somewhat hypebeast/street fashion conscious with absolutely no one catering to them. 

yes of course bass pro trucker hats and flannel shirts will still dominate fishing fashion as long as folks from texas, alabama and georgia have anything to say about it...

But check out the likes of Bass Brigade, Bassers United and Warbaits...

My buddy and I made a little bit clothing under the "trophies fishing" banner

check the logo on the hat, flat beaks, normal sunglasses lol you get the idea

small_pike_fun.jpg

56 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

Lol. That's funny because it's true

Heaven forbid I ever wear these backups I have lol. Most are nice slim fit glasses, lightweight. Then I have one pair that makes me feel like I'm wiz khalifa ?????

26 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

I usually fish in skateboard company clothing.  

I'm 38, ???

I also wear shirts tied around my head, and occasionally look like Vinnie Paz???

Jesus manitou, easy on the flashbacks dude!

crazy to think this was more than a decade ago...Rock the Bellz 2007! (SORRY FOR THE THREAD HIJACK!)

IMG_1809.jpg

Me three ... as much as I love my Maui Jims and do feel they were worth the extra $$ ... my most important thing for use in fishing is the polarized part ... you'll know they are good if you turn your head sideways and look at the clouds ... if the clouds don't change hue the glasses are no good ... and the other most important thing is clean and unscratched lenses ... I go through so many I normally buy the $20 pairs for fishing (and always have an extra pair on hand for anyone who comes along with me and realizes their fancy-schmancy glasses aren't worth a crap (no matter how much they paid) because they aren't polarized or are too scratched up.

I also agree with the safety ... been saved more than a few times when a boating partner got a little carried away on their hook-set (its not just when the pike decides for one last head-shake - just saying)

Edited by camillj
typos

3 hours ago, camillj said:

Me three ... as much as I love my Maui Jims and do feel they were worth the extra $$ ... my most important thing for use in fishing is the polarized part ... you'll know they are good if you turn your head sideways and look at the clouds ... if the clouds don't change hue the glasses are no good ... and the other most important thing is clean and unscratched lenses ... I go through so many I normally buy the $20 pairs for fishing (and always have an extra pair on hand for anyone who comes along with me and realizes their fancy-schmancy glasses aren't worth a crap (no matter how much they paid) because they aren't polarized or are too scratched up.

I also agree with the safety ... been saved more than a few times when a boating partner got a little carried away on their hook-set (its not just when the pike decides for one last head-shake - just saying)

The unscratched lens part is very true. That is why I am considering the glass costas. They do not scratch as easily.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:41 AM, Snidley said:

Not only for fishing but polarized glasses really help with reading a green in golf. Yellow lenses for that application.

Yes very true.

For fishing I like an amber lenses and driving a light grey

Edited by GBW