Are Polarized Fishing Glasses worth it

LittleWorm

Well as the title says, are polarized fishing glasses really worth it? I have never used them so I don't know anything about them. I would take it though that the more you pay for a set the better they will be? Please let me know what you think, worth it or scam.

Thanks

It depends on the fishing. I wouldn't bonefish without them. If you like to do the majority of your fishing trolling or jigging it wouldn't be worth a good pair. Ditto if you are fishing low visibility water which would include some cottage lakes. 

But, if you stand when you fish and the point of contact isn't too far away AND the water is clear you may see fish before they see you and you can sight fish and target them. You'll also see some hits which I don't know if it increases your hook up rates but it makes the whole experience that much more fun.

Also if money isn't too much of an issue a great pair of glasses just makes the summer that much nicer. :)

Edited by scuro2

Polarized glasses are a huge benefit. Allows you to see into the water column rather then just surface reflection. Any good quality pair of polarized glasses will do...the wrap around type that block all light from coming in from the sides are best. 

12 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

If you want to try something better than the stuff at Canadian Tire but don't want to spend $200+, the Sunclouds get decent reviews and are $50 at MEC.

But MEC sells other stuff that's marketed by a supplier who also markets guns....can't shop there or the profits from these sun glasses are effectively going straight to the NRA right?  :sarcasm:

Edited by G.mech

1000%

ive sight fished so many fish on georgian bay its ridiculous. It really depends on the water you fish, but on georgian bay where visibility can be 30 Feet easily, its awesome to spot fish sunning themselves on shoals etc and be able to pitch to them.

I won't fish without em. I have really good pairs I wear all the time and alot of cheapos stored in the boat, in the truck, in the tackle box.

It's great when they help see in the water column, but as others have said, it's eye protection. Against the sun, glare and possible incoming lures.

Once you use them there really is no going back

Polarized glasses are good for anything and not just for fishing. They cut the glare out everything. I wear a pair every day driving to work. and have a set in the boat in case I forget the others in the car (kept my older pair).

If you're not convinced, buy a pair of cheap ones to start. No matter the price, they still work. Once you're convinced, step up to a better pair. I prefer Oakley sunglasses for comfort and clarity. They are still a "plastic" (for lack of a better word) lens but have some of the best clarity out there. I use the Shallow blue lens for shallow water. They also offer a deep blue lens for deeper water (see where this is going? LOL). There is a third lens but I do not know if they make it anymore. I suggest you go on their website and check out the fishing specific glasses. Look at the lens information and go from there. I personally do not like the styles of their fishing glasses but you can get most of the lens options in other models of frames.

If you really want to treat yourself, the ones that get the most positive reviews seem to be the Costa's with the 580 glass lense. They will be heavier but anyone I know who has used them, absolutely loves them for comfort and clarity.

If you haven't guess by my response, I 100% believe you get what you pay for in a polarized lens. yeah, they make a profit but the R&D of these things have to be paid somewhere. Plus, you only get one set of eyes so you may as well take care of them.

5 hours ago, G.mech said:

I like them but find they make your electronic screens almost impossible to see.  The bent glass on my windshield becomes hard to see through as well when you have them on....

That is so true. I do however have a solution for that for those that wear reading glasses. The sunglasses with the reader lens built in at the bottom of the lenses are great because the magnified reading lense part is not polarized.

10 minutes ago, limeyangler said:

That is so true. I do however have a solution for that for those that wear reading glasses. The sunglasses with the reader lens built in at the bottom of the lenses are great because the magnified reading lense part is not polarized.

These are my river fishing glasses.

The readers at the top are way better for this purpose.

You aren't looking through the readers when you are looking where you are going when wading.

A big plus in my book.

http://www.habervision.com/Belize-Black-Brown-Upper-Bi-Focal-250-Click-for-more-info_p_73.html

Usually around now in the spring Costco gets a few Maui Jim's in, but they don't last.  Last year they had some really nice ones and I didn't grab them when they first had them and next week they were gone.  Now if they would only bring in blue glass Costa's....

My maui jims are worth their weight. In gold.  If you have health benefits can likely get a pair from the optometrist.    I drive 5-6 hours a day for work and have the slightest prescription.   They really help with fatigue  and helping spot fish.

Thank you all very much for the information. Looks like I will be picking up a couple of pairs . One for me and one for my wife, since I introduced her to fishing 3 years ago anything I buy for myself I now have to buy for her also! It has become kind of costly.lol