Spinning reel line of choice?

dintymoore

Earlier this week I received a new rod, the 7' medium light, fast action avid-x from St Croix, got a Tatula LT en route to pair. I target Walleye and trout primarily and am thinking of trying something different for line. What do you find works best for you?IMG_20170819_130026786_BURST001.jpg

For me I'm a big fan of the superlines meant for spinning reels. Nanofil and fireline. You can use mono or flouro leaders as necessary for your applications. Having said that, I still tend to use light mono for small stream trout. That's not based on anything other than comfort.

im an old schooler so I use mono still.

my mono of choice is suffix siege for both spinning and baitcasting

gear. I use 4 and 6 pound test on my 1000 size shimano spinning reels

and 8 and 10 on my 3000 sizes. 10 and 12 pound mono on my

baitcasting outfit. all suffix siege. its strong, abrasion resistant. and still e

easy to handle. its my favorite that ive tried. used to be an XL user lol

Old schooler here too, mono for the most part. Will use a braid for deep water jigging or perching, dipsies ( Mono is a no starter on a dipsey) I just don't feel the low stretch is much of a factor in shallow under 20 foot depths. Trilene XL is my line of choice on spinners and XT on revolving spool reels and as a leader material for float fishing and fly fishing.  it's cheap too :ph34r:

I switched to straight braid some years ago -- Daiwa braid or Power pro in a pinch, but run mono on lighter set ups. I'm kind of on the fence. Do I try a lighter braid, a braid and flurocarbon, or go back to mono... 

Edited by dintymoore

I like PowerPro SuperSlick 8 #15 in timber brown for jigging.  When I did target small trout in the river near my house (my old place since moved hence past tense) I would tie on a mono or floro leader  

Could do entirely fluorocarbon if you aren't a big fan of leaders, I ran 6lb Sunline FC Sniper on my ML spinning rod for a couple years (until I got a new reel and went 8lb fireline crystal with a fluoro leader, partly so I could float fish for crappie) with no problems at all for walleye, trout, bass, and panfish unless I got really lazy with checking knots. If you went with fluoro I would maybe suggest 8lb FC Sniper for a little more forgiveness (or 6lb of your favourite fluoro), the stuff handles like mono and you don't have to replace it every year which is nice (Sunline line diameters are smaller than most other lines, 8lb Sunline line would be the same as most 6lb lines). 

Braid is definitely a good option though, especially if you see yourself float fishing at all. Mono isn't bad either but obviously less sensitivity and more stretch.

I pretty much target Bass and Perch. for the one rod I use for both, it has 20lb Power Pro on it and if I'm drop shotting, I'll tie on a flourocarbo leader.

I really don't think you can go worng with braid but downsizing might be a great option for you.

8 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

I reallly like Fluro. The Berkeley vanish line is fantastic. The memory on it sucks after a while but it’s strong, it sinks and it legit is invisible under water. 

Did they make changes to it cause it used to be bad, I mean very bad!  I had it and it broke all the time to the point I removed it all and tossed it.

Edited by GBW

3 hours ago, Tjames09 said:

I use braid, but sometimes is a PITA. When It catches a wind knot or tangle, they are impossible undo. Usually have to cut the line and retie.

From a boat cast like an underhand (or hockey wrist shot) and I've not had a problem with wind as an FYI 

10lb power pro is about as perfect as it gets for me. I use it in all sorts of application.

Nanofil is another I live using.

Also, those that have issues with braid, are usually using to high of test, and or don't pay attention to the line/spool

Suffix 832 was awesome when it first came out, then I either had like 4 bad spools in a row or their quality control department was fired???? 

Berkley should just vanished of the shelf. That's the worst line ever. 

Edited by manitoubass2

Braid tangles (and probably mono tangles too) are best addressed with the use of a small size crochet needle. These little needles have a small dull barb at the end and all you need to do is dig into the under lying deeper line on the spool to find and then pull out the loop that causes the birdsnest. I bought mine at the dollar store and then glued it into the top of a big balsa float so it's easy to handle and will float when I drop it in the water. It really saves a lot of line as I seldom, if ever have a birdsnest cutout.

As for spinning reel line I prefer Nanofill but any good braid in lower line test ie 8-14lb will work well. I always use a fluro or mono leader as tieing directly with braid to lure results in less bites and lots of tangles at the lure itself.

Edited by Snidley
added info