Spinning reel line of choice?

dintymoore

39 minutes ago, GBW said:

I start out with 4 - 6' so I can change baits and still have leader 

4 to 6 feet is what I tie as well. You can loose a few inches and have plenty left as GBW said. As far as line I have 6 spinning rods ready to go based on what we are going for and each will have anything from braid to 100% Flouro. My light and ultra light for Perch has good old Stren Mono on them, 4 lb. I tie 6lb Flouro to the Mustad hooks on the rigs. (For any newbies that buy Pickerel rigs throw away the cheap line and hooks and tie your own good quality line and hooks on)

I use whatever premium mono I get on special for my spinning reels. 6lb for jigging and 8lb for general purpose. I just change out yearly in the late spring. My 2 pike rigs have 30lb braid on them as they are heavier action rods and I have seen some big fish come out of our honey hole. 

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎05 at 4:03 PM, SirCranksalot said:

braid is a bit like that old nuBrsery rhyme----when it's good it's very very good, but when it's bad it's horrid!!--------tangles are epic, normally impossible to undo! 

I have found braid works best with some Mono backing on the reel. It co operates much better. Braid will dig into itself, the backing makes it harder to do that. Braid will nick and break down easily when it comes in contact with rocks and some tough structure ever. I have a reel loaded with braid for so long I can't remember what brand. Has to be 10 years at least.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:20 PM, dintymoore said:

Earlier this week I received a new rod, the 7' medium light, fast action avid-x from St Croix, got a Tatula LT en route to pair. I target Walleye and trout primarily and am thinking of trying something different for line. What do you find works best for you?IMG_20170819_130026786_BURST001.jpg

FIRST, BEAUTIFUL Brook Trout ! ! !

About 30 years ago I tried Cabela's Pro Line Mono and have stuck with over the years. First 1/4 spool was 6# but since, I have purchased 4#, 8# 10# and 12# line also in the 1/4 spools. It's much less expensive and works as good as Berkeley or Stren.....I also have a Cabela's Floro line for tying worm harnesses but that's 20# line I never use on my reels. It holds up much better then mono when dragging bottom on Lake Erie with all those zebra mussels....

Speaking of mussels.........that is what I am having for dinner tonight  :)

My recommendation would be to use about a 1/4 spool of cheap red wolf 8# mono from Canadian tire. Then add either 15 # or 20# moss green power pro via back to back uni knot. You can then add any flouro leader of your choice.