Ontario Energy Savings (NF)

Bitsmith2k

sometime last week a sales guy from Ontario Energy Savings stopped by the house and wanted to enroll us in their 5yr Price Protection Program.. I wasnt around and my fiance told the guy that she'd have to talk to me before signing anything.. yadda yadda yadda, somehow he gets her to sign the agreement.. should i cancel this thing? or is it a good idea?

thanks guys

I wouldn't call it a scam. That's an issue with agents - not the company.

They first came to my door 4 years ago re: natural gas 5 yr rate. I signed, knowing i had the chance to cancel if necessary - though the agent was definitely persistent. I drilled the customer service people with every question I could come up with when they called back 10 days later, and was impressed with how they handled my concerns.

Long story short - i stuck with them at a $0.29 rate for gas...which was about $0.03 higher than what we were paying at the time. In looking back at rates over the last 4 years, we definitely came out on top. At the very least, you're protected against sudden and major increases.

How could you not worry about rising energy costs?

Not sure about the deal for Hydro though. Haven't gone down that road yet...

Edited by davis

I wouldn't call it a scam. That's an issue with agents - not the company.

They first came to my door 4 years ago re: natural gas 5 yr rate. I signed, knowing i had the chance to cancel if necessary - though the agent was definitely persistent. I drilled the customer service people with every question I could come up with when they called back 10 days later, and was impressed with how they handled my concerns.

Long story short - i stuck with them at a $0.29 rate for gas...which was about $0.03 higher than what we were paying at the time. In looking back at rates over the last 4 years, we definitely came out on top. At the very least, you're protected against sudden and major increases.

How could you not worry about rising energy costs?

Not sure about the deal for Hydro though. Haven't gone down that road yet...

There is a difference between 0.03 cent and 3 cents a KWH that is a 60% increase in the price SCAM.

You got a good deal on your Gas though

Edited by yellowboat

There is a difference between 0.03 cent and 3 cents a KWH that is a 60% increase in the price SCAM.

You got a good deal on your Gas though

My bad. I saw Energy Savings and immediately thought Natural Gas...

Any Company who hires representatives to go door-to-door using deceptive marketing practices is NOT a company I want anything to do with!

Last year one of their Reps went to my elderly Mom's house and my Mom told her that she didn't want to sign up until her Son could look things over. The Rep asked her to sign just so that her Boss would know that she was there. Guess what, yup, she signed a contract. And it was a real hassle for me to get it cancelled!

I wouldn't trust a company like that as far as I could throw it!!!!!!!!

They should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Mike Pike

well i called and cancelled.. was given a bit of a run around from the customer service rep, which provided some entertainment for everyone in my dept. that was eavesdropping on the phone call...

mike pike: that pretty much sounded like what he did to my fiance.. its a good thing i noticed that paper sitting on the counter...

Who exactly is training the agents?

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/electricity/a.../ch204e16.phtml

The only thing you need to worry about, is if your hooks are sharp enough and that there are no banana's in your boat :)

Tony

Being in sales, maybe i'm a little less sensitive to the tactics they use. Either way, i am and have been saving money. :D That's the bottom line for me. I dont know what to expect come renewal time, but i'll deal with that then...

Sorry but we all weren't born yesterday, if somebodies trying to get you to sign up for something, major alarm beels should be ringing. They are NOT doing it for the good of you, it's a company with an intent to make money, NOT loose money.

The "locked in" pricing may have been a benefit several years ago, but I have noticed that most of the recent increases on any of the utility bills have been coming from the extras such as "delivery", "thankyou for being a customer" charges. These are not covered by the locked in rates.

Edited by Dartee

It's a gamble, but I like to gamble and I'm signed up on a great natural gas plan. I'm paying about 20% lower than the going rate right now and my rates will be going down 1 cent per cubic meter each year for the next 4 years. Unless the sky falls, I think I'll come out just fine. Don't fall for the sales pitch that these guys give you at your door though. If you do your homework, you can save some serious cash though.

These people are fast talkers and look at you like you are retarted if you say you arent interested. The guy that showed up to my house wanted us to sign a contract that said we would pay double our current hydro price for five years.

It dosent make sense. Why would I want to start paying double the Kwh for hydro now just because It may or may not be that price in five years? As I was telling him this he was filling out a contract and then expected me to sign. It was hard to get him to leave.

Bottom line is these people are obviously paid on commision so its a biased view to begin with.

I would not deal with these people at all! Anyone that has to use pressure and deception rather than logic and facts to get customers to sign a contract isn't trying to do me any favours. They showed up at my door last spring and told me if I signed up with them I would be getting a rebate from hydro but if I didn't sign up, I wouldn't get a rebate. Then he just wanted me to sign this "form" so his supervisor would know that he had been here and I "declined" the rebate. I didn't sign, he is lucky he left when he still could, and I got my rebate in the mail about a month later. Buyer beware!

These people are fast talkers and look at you like you are retarted if you say you arent interested. The guy that showed up to my house wanted us to sign a contract that said we would pay double our current hydro price for five years.

It dosent make sense. Why would I want to start paying double the Kwh for hydro now just because It may or may not be that price in five years? As I was telling him this he was filling out a contract and then expected me to sign. It was hard to get him to leave.

Bottom line is these people are obviously paid on commision so its a biased view to begin with.

Mean Dog and a long leash gets rid of them just fine.