Fishing in Florida… in July

kickingfrog

So the family has decided to go to Orlando this July. (I need some Gerrymandering). Is there any point in trying to go bass fishing then? Is there some inshore options that might be better then? Still hoping I can get hit by a bus beforehand. This same group of people went to Cuba in July as well and clearly didn't learn a darn thing.

funny enough, just yesterday i stumbled on a youtube channel called "ladybass" - after youtube recommended I checkout one of her vids about bass fishing in Orlando. Here's one of her Orlando videos -

I'm sure you can send a message and ask for some info

I bet its stupid hot in Florida in July. As far as bass, they are in every ditch, canal, pond, lake you see. Get yourself a telescopic rod, go play a round of golf, cast rubber worm in ponds as you wait to hit your ball. I have caught ridiculous numbers of bass in golf course ponds in Florida

I used to go to florida in the summer a lot when my family had a vacation spot there.

you will catch bass all day but its easier morning and evening. middle of the day is hot

and hard to catch them. people go to places like cuba and florida in the summer not because of the weather here but because 1. its cheaper and 2. you cannot snorkel on a coral reef in Ontario nor can you catch a tarpon if you stay here in July :) so yes I don't  have an issue with summer sunny destinations simply because of the activities you can still do that you cant do here. however, you do have to watch out for hurricanes that time of year. although its usually bad from Sept. onwards. have fun!

Who cares about bass, you can catch them here. If you're going all the way to Florida, fish saltwater for tarpon and snook, since mid-summer is prime time!

Snook - they behave like a largemouth but fight a steelhead. You catch them off piers and jetties, or in shallow weedy spots where you can't quite see bottom any more. They eat topwaters like crazy, jump like crazy, and will peel line faster than anything you've ever seen in fresh water. Average size is about 6 pounds.

Tarpon - enough said! There are lots of guys who do charters, it isn't that expensive. Baby tarpon (up to about 20 pounds) hang out in the same paces as snook. You catch them on live shrimp under a little float.

Do some research, Google is your friend. Salt water fishing totally rocks, it completely blows away fishing for largemouth. Try something new and have an experience you haven't had before.

Edited by craigdritchie

Orlando are in July? Disney? Traffic will be worse than the 401 at rush hour, it may pay to find the closest spot available?

There was some sort of canal - inland waterway that separated Largo from the gulf, we had dinner one evening at a restaurant with a patio and tables right next to the water. People were throwing pieces of food into the water and there were some big fish eating it, no clue what they were.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

How do you feel about going out with a guide? We went out with one when we were in Destin a few years back. Had an amazing time in-shore catching Reds, Sea Trout and Drum.  I remember it being quite reasonable as far as the price goes...

Having said that, majority of the fish were caught on circle hook and live shrimp. You could probably get a few starting spots by chatting up the local tackle shops. 

Ya, no trips to the states for a while for this guy. Florida in July was humidex of 44 celsius everyday and 35 at night. A/C worked everywhere we went is the only reason I'm still here. No fishing but I banked lots of points… or worked my way closer to net zero. lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I had to cancel our planned trip to Pompano Beach last April and don't see us getting down real soon. Largemouth Bass opportunities around Orlando are boundless and the inshore saltwater fishing can be spectacular! Lots of piers to fish off of too! Really surprised at the number of people who are flying down still?