NF- For the HVAC guys

LostAnotherOne

Hey guys.  Doing some research on what type of furnace filter i should buy.  Just looking to save a couple of bucks thou.  I have a Keeprite furnace that holds a 16×25×4.  The question is is there a real difference between a merv 8 and a merv 10?.  I know it says that the higher the number the less particles that get through.  Thanks and any tips would be great. 

the higher the merv rating the more particles it is said to catch also meaning it is more restrictive on the air blowing across it, depending on the home i usually recommend a cheaper less restrictive filter, the benefit of the higher merv rating would be reducing the possibility of plugging up your secondary heat exchanger if you have a high efficiency furnace or possibly your a-coil if you also have central air. I wouldnt worry too much about the merv rating unless you have super dirty ducts. I usually say the cheaper the better when it comes to filters its not really a game breaker, ive seen the thicker more restrictive filters cause issues but as long as you stay on top of your filter changes you should be okay. Hope this helped 

Dunno if you've sourced anything, but take a look at this site. They had the best price on per filter when buying a box of 12. And it's a high quality filter. (For me at least)

https://www.furnacefilterscanada.com

An alternative would be to find a friend/relative who's a sheet metal worker or refrigeration mechanic and see if they can get you a deal through their supplier and just pay them instead.

Possibly if you know someone who works for a mechanical company who has a service division also.

Edited by leaf4

10 hours ago, leaf4 said:

Dunno if you've sourced anything, but take a look at this site. They had the best price on per filter when buying a box of 12. And it's a high quality filter. (For me at least)

https://www.furnacefilterscanada.com

An alternative would be to find a friend/relative who's a sheet metal worker or refrigeration mechanic and see if they can get you a deal through their supplier and just pay them instead.

Possibly if you know someone who works for a mechanical company who has a service division also.

Those are really good prices.

Changing filters regularly will save you more than You think. A dirty filter means more run time on the cycle as well as keeping the coils clean. In the summer the AC if you have one up North the dirt mixes with the wet coils and the heat exchange suffers promoting longer run times. In the winter air flow that is restricted can over heat the heat exchanger and cause early failure as well as poor circulation in the house. Replacing the filter every two months is not to often especially if you have pets or burn wood. Both will clog the filter quickly. 

Art