Ice fishing Bib and Jacket that are PDF?

KawarthaAngler

Hi,

Got into ice fishing this past winter (finally ... have been meaning to for years but finally got off my butt).  Anyhow .. for next winter I want to invest in a proper and safe Bib and Jacket.  I see there are only a few PDF rated Bibs and Jackets.  I see one or two on Amazon, I saw one last night when visiting Sail.  I think Canadian Tire may have something as well.

I wanted to get some input on what people have purchased and if they are happy with the comfort and warmth.

Thanks!

Hey same here on the starting to ice fishI I got lucky and got a like new survival suit for a song, but check the Rapala website they have some crazy deals from time to time! Plus most places will start clearing stuff any time now.... Two piece is the way to go too BTW. mine is one piece and I overheat, then its not very comfortable sitting around with the upper part off in back of me....

Hello Shloim.  Good advice on the 2 piece option.  I was leaning towards that idea for the exact reason you suggest.  I've seen vid's of people in their heated huts with the jacket off but the Bib still on.  So 2 pieces is the way to go.

Sail has sales on now ... so I'm thinking this time of year is good time to buy ... but inventory may be poor.  At least at Sail I was able to try on their PDF jacket and even though I take a LARGE size in all my tops/jackets ... I discovered that I must get the EXTRA LARGE if a PDF jacket.  So simply going to the store to try on one showed me that I'd be best trying it on first before buying and that the PDF type of clothing fits different.

I disagree with Schloim about the 1 vs 2 piece.

I find a huge part of the battle out on the ice is staying warm, especially if you like to move around and not fish from a hut. I also like being able to wear a tshirt and a pair of long johns as my base layer to stay nice and light.

There is guaranteed to be more days out on the ice where its cold then when its warm. You will be thankful for the one piece when you are sitting out in -25 and the wind.

Thats my 2cents 

Ive got a nautilus 1 piece float suit, one of the best investments ive ever made.

Edited by AKRISONER

I find my 2 piece much warmer then the one piece 

I think it might be because of condensation in the one piece , not sure 

but I find the two piece warmer , more comfortable and half the time I am sitting out with only the bib pants on feeling fine and the jacket comes on and off as needed 

as I type I am sitting out on lake Temagami outside the hut feeling fine 

23 minutes ago, Terry said:

I find my 2 piece much warmer then the one piece 

I think it might be because of condensation in the one piece , not sure 

but I find the two piece warmer , more comfortable and half the time I am sitting out with only the bib pants on feeling fine and the jacket comes on and off as needed 

as I type I am sitting out on lake Temagami outside the hut feeling fine 

Yup, What he said. We have the same suits sorta speak. 2nd season for mine and it,s been awesome.

Best part is, they dont get stiff in the cold.

Arctic Armor

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Mine is artic armor+  and I bought it at fishing world Hamilton about 7 years ago 

Is that + important ? LMAO

Also AK, I had the high end nautilus coast gaurd  suit. Dave owns it now.  It was just too bulky for me, once I went down 2 sizes. LOL

I have a two piece Salus bin and coat that is TC approved as a PFD. Call Epps in Orillia they carry them and should all sizes.

I had a one piece Mustang before. I liked it well enough it just didn't fit anymore. Decided to go two piece this time and I'm happy with the decision.

http://www.salusmarine.com/?products=endurance-class

Edited by Dutch01

If you buy a two piece, be sure to get over size for the bibs... I have a two piece and the bibs go all the way up to my neck. That just backs up what Terry and Brian said, two piece is actually much warmer and more comfortable. If you have a look at the Natilus site, it will show that the difference between the one piece and two piece in a survival situation is just a couple more minutes in the freezing water than the two piece. HH

I vote 2 piece as well. I am in the market for a new set as well. Striker, clam, and frabil all have great suits that are floaters as wel. I'd really like a camo arctic armour, but I have to go to the states to get one as they are not transport canada approved because of the colour. 

S. 

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Best part is, they dont get stiff in the cold.

Arctic Armor

That’s my man, never stiff even in the cold!

I never had one of those fancy suits but a two piece if you have a hut is the way to go. But then we went out and still left the top inside , layering  does it all the time.  Put in on take it off!

18 minutes ago, AdamWoodhouse said:

I believe the Frabill Float is Coast Guard approved (from what it says on the Frabill website).

Coast Guard Approved is all thats needed in the USA. In Canada it needs to be transport canada approved to be a legal PFD. I don't care either way, makes no difference to me, My PFD's don't leave the boat anyways. 

S. 

I did 20 years in a buoy o boy one piece.  It worked and gave piece of mind.  Last winter my Xmas gift was a striker ice 2 piece suit.  There's no contest, the 2 piece striker is some of the best ice wear I've ever worn, and I wore it for spring salmon season also.  I'd never go back to a one piece, and the 2 piece is very warm.

Edited by porkpie

I have had many brands and types over the years.  The earlier ones were like putting on a sheet of plywood.  But with a bad back, getting into my one piece suit lately left me hurting and sweated up.  And my youngest son needed a suit anyways so now it's his.  I already have two floater jackets over and above the suit, and decided to get a new set of bibs.  Went to Canadian Tire to check out the Arctic Armor bibs, and there is a great big sign on the inside of them:

THIS IS NOT AN APPROVED FLOTATION DEVICE

So for $300 plus tax I left them there and will wait until I can get a set of bibs that ARE approved.  Looks like the Salus line is not only made in Canada but are also approved PFDs.

Something I DO hope to find is a set of bibs that have a full or at least a half length zip on the sides so I can put them on over top of my boots.  Nothing like trying to balance on one foot with slush all over the place, trying to get your leg into the pantleg..............

Doug