Ontario license plates

huzzsaba

I'm sure a lot of you are in the same boat as me with peeling license plate.  I have used the plastic covers and despite that still have the issue.  .  I get jealous when I see the older style plates or any plates from outside the province.  My only choice now to get new plates or is there a way to get free replacement plates??

Thanks

When this came up last year on a news report, the “government” said the plates were guaranteed for five years (where was stated when we bought the plates) You are on the hook for new plates at full cost after five years.

Ontario’s plates are an embarrassment! Here and outside the province. I spent many hours working on that Ontario logo only to be attached to garbage that we paid for and no responsibility by the firm that made them.

Mine were about to go and I coated them with polyurethane, probably three coats it helped.

Just now, ketchenany said:

When this came up last year on a news report, the “government” said the plates were guaranteed for five years (where was stated when we bought the plates) You are on the hook for new plates at full cost after five years.

Ontario’s plates are an embarrassment! Here and outside the province. I spent many hours working on that Ontario logo only to be attached to garbage that we paid for and no responsibility by the firm that made them.

Mine were about to go and I coated them with polyurethane, probably three coats it helped.

Mine are definitely past the 5 year mark. Probably my only option is to use a mint set of plates from my old car and transfer them on to my existing car. Not sure if its cheaper that route or just get new plates.

For years the plates were made of Dofasco Hot Dip Galvanized steel, prepainted  white and occasionally other colours long ago at Baycoat in Hamilton . About 2000 we lost the business and since then the plates have never been the same. Operating a crane I listened to the truck drivers explain how Millbrook Correctional had 2 gates and how they inspected the truck going in and out in the area between the gates, later I was a slitter operator and I slit the wide prepainted coils to plate width and I assume they were finally stamped out and numbers painted at Millbrook. 

edit: guess we lost the business because Google says they closed Millbrook in 2003

Edited by dave524

3 hours ago, dave524 said:

For years the plates were made of Dofasco Hot Dip Galvanized steel, prepainted  white and occasionally other colours long ago at Baycoat in Hamilton . About 2000 we lost the business and since then the plates have never been the same. Operating a crane I listened to the truck drivers explain how Millbrook Correctional had 2 gates and how they inspected the truck going in and out in the area between the gates, later I was a slitter operator and I slit the wide prepainted coils to plate width and I assume they were finally stamped out and numbers painted at Millbrook. 

I drove a truck here stateside, only delivered to a couple of area prisons, but it was pretty much the same procedure. My pocket knife had to be left at the gate until I left.

The killer is if the plates can't be read through no fault of your own you can get a ticket for illegible plates. You can get a ticket if you put them in the blueish plastic covers they sell that change the colour. I had a set that peeled after a few years, replaced for no charge. I was also told 5 years and newer will be replaced at no charge.

The plates on my truck have no skin what so ever.. One of Durhams finest pulled my wife over last week and warned her that shed be handed a ticket one of these times if they werent replaced. Mine are well past 5 years and don't plan to pay for something that used to last decades. Par for the course with the band of idiots running Queens Park. I just take a sharpie to it from time to time.

1 hour ago, Whitespinnerbait said:

how much does it cost to get the peeling plates replaced .?

grand total of free if less than 5 years old

if it starts with a b, more than likely same grand total even if it's older than 5 years

otherwise i think it's around $50

Edited by Raf

21 hours ago, Raf said:

grand total of free if less than 5 years old

if it starts with a b, more than likely same grand total even if it's older than 5 years

otherwise i think it's around $50

6 hours ago, cuzza said:

I had some 9year old plates replaced a few weeks ago for nothing, they were BH's

I know what I am doing this Thursday!  Going to try my luck at getting some new plates for free! Mine are BM plates.

Update:  walked into sheridan mall Service Ontario with my ugly BMHH plates, and walked out 15 minutes later with a set of brand new plates for a grand total of zero!  The teller looked at the plates, made a face, and threw them in a box along with a whole bunch of other junk plates.  No questions asked! :)

Edited by huzzsaba