Mid-Summer Fly in trip

walleye wanderer

My gang and I are considering a mid-summer fly-in trip to the Nakina area this year and I am wondering if anyone has any recent experience with Wilderness North, specifically their Ogoki outposts or their Makokibatan Lodge?

They have an amazing website and I am sure the accommodations are great, it is the fishing I am most interested in hearing about. My group likes to chase BIG Pike around most days and of course have a feed or 5 of Walleye during the week.

Any & all info welcome...

Cheers,

WW

Both are probably good options.  Could consider Kag (lodge or outpost - TwinLakes probably better location, but it's all very accessible) and Onaman as well.  Although, Onaman is probably  better known for Walleye.

I'd suggest looking into Hearst Air camps on the Attawapiskat also. Napken had some interesting variety as well - river, current, bays etc..  Was an interesting lake. Should be a plenty of weed beds to fish in the summer.

Don't overlook Kesagami out of Cochrane either.  They also have outpost camps on lakes where you can easily portage into Kesagami if you don't want to stay at the lodge.

Bushland Adventures on Lac Evans is similar. You should read Mike B's report from this lake.

Another interesting option is North Caribou Camps.  You fly out of Thunder Bay airport to a jumping point and then to the camp. Flights to Thunder Bay are very reasonable if the drive is too long. North Caribou Lake is amazing.

38 minutes ago, TJQ said:

I think Air Cochrane has more fly in outposts in NE Ontario than any other outfitter.

Air Cochrane does have 30+ outposts. North of Cochrane the lakes tend to be smaller, shallow, dishpan lakes and the camps and boats are typically basic.

I have fished Ogoki Lake twice, it's an awesome lake. Makokibaton or other camps on the Albany River would be a good choice too. I don't know anything about Wilderness North, it was years ago, but their camps looked to be well kept.

It would be best to just contact Mike and get his opinions-  https://www.canadafishingguide.net/

Edited by chris.brock

what Chris said, ask Mike.

My only experience with Hearst Air Services would tend to make me look for a different outfitter, but that was a number of years ago and may well have been a "one-off."  I recall that writer "moosebunk" had an extremely positive trip with HAS, to the Attawapiskat if memory serves me.  A bit of research, and contacting references, should give an idea of current service from any of the outfitters.

But you should still ask Mike.

Doug

On 2018-02-20 at 6:46 PM, adempsey said:

Both are probably good options.  Could consider Kag (lodge or outpost - TwinLakes probably better location, but it's all very accessible) and Onaman as well.  Although, Onaman is probably  better known for Walleye.

I'd suggest looking into Hearst Air camps on the Attawapiskat also. Napken had some interesting variety as well - river, current, bays etc..  Was an interesting lake. Should be a plenty of weed beds to fish in the summer.

Don't overlook Kesagami out of Cochrane either.  They also have outpost camps on lakes where you can easily portage into Kesagami if you don't want to stay at the lodge.

Bushland Adventures on Lac Evans is similar. You should read Mike B's report from this lake.

Another interesting option is North Caribou Camps.  You fly out of Thunder Bay airport to a jumping point and then to the camp. Flights to Thunder Bay are very reasonable if the drive is too long. North Caribou Lake is amazing.

Great info Mr Dempsey, I have been in touch with both Bushland and North Caribou. I have also reached out to the authority, our buddy Mike and also review his multiple trip reports. I am not sure if a trip to either of these camps is in the cards this year but I am certainly planning one for next year with either Bushland or North Caribou.

Cheers and thanks again!

WW