Data Plates on new boat

Rattletrap2

I'm curious about something. My new (last year 2017) Alumacraft boat has a US plate on it that lists the max. HP, max. weight limits etc. but it does not have a Transport Canada plate along side that one. I would think a boat being imported into Canada would require both? The first because it is made in the US and the second because it is sold and registered in Canaada. There was one couple working at the Alumacraft booth at the Spring show on Saturday representing a dealer in Port Hope, but neither of them had any clue what I was talking about! lol

Just curious! The boat has registration numbers and everything from the dealer I purchased it through.

The importer was supposed to attach a Transport Canada Compliance plate when the boat was imported but if they did not, apparently it is not your problem.  The US plate doesn't count and usually the allowable loads and maximum horsepower ratings are more conservative under the TC regulations than under the US regs.

Lots of good info here:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_noticesfaq-307.htm#_Am_I_required

That's a good point but I believe the answer is no. I bought a used boat 5 years ago from the U.S. and imported it myself. At no point during the process did they say anything about the plate, or me needing a different one for Canada. I think because the max HP, max weight limits, etc. deal with the boat itself, it should technically be the same, regardless of where you are.  Just make sure you have Canadian PFD's. mine came with American ones and the first day I went on the water the police pulled me over and gave me a ticket for not having Canadian Coast Guard Approved life jackets; and we were wearing them.

5 hours ago, AdamS said:

That's a good point but I believe the answer is no. I bought a used boat 5 years ago from the U.S. and imported it myself. At no point during the process did they say anything about the plate, or me needing a different one for Canada. I think because the max HP, max weight limits, etc. deal with the boat itself, it should technically be the same, regardless of where you are.  Just make sure you have Canadian PFD's. mine came with American ones and the first day I went on the water the police pulled me over and gave me a ticket for not having Canadian Coast Guard Approved life jackets; and we were wearing them.

If you import a boat for your personal use, you don't need to attach a compliance plate as outlined in the link above.  The load & horsepower ratings for boats are calculated and the Transport Canada formulas are slightly more conservative in most cases than the USCG formulas resulting in slightly lower capacities under the TC rules.