licencing small aluminum boat

purekgw

Don't know the procedure but one of the many boats I've bought in my time came with an "issued" data sticker the owner got to replace what was no longer on the boat when he bought it.    Transport Canada will more than likely have procedures which will get you registered.  Some info here http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-1898.htm

Michael

If you want to license it rather than swap stickers, make an appointment with the commissioner of oaths at your local city hall.  Create a statement on your computer that you purchased it from the previous owner for x dollars, have misplaced your bill of sale and have the commissioner certify the document.  It usually costs $20 to $30 to do this, then send the document in with your application for licensing.  That's the legit way to do it.  I've heard that other people have just made up receipts, but don't have any firsthand knowledge of that ;)

19 minutes ago, cisco said:

The tinny should have serial numbers somewhere on it. You'll need to get the numbers.

What Chris said. Then just swear that it was not stolen, and you bought it for XXX number of dollars. $500 would be a fair price for an older tinny. 

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

If you want to license it rather than swap stickers, make an appointment with the commissioner of oaths at your local city hall.  Create a statement on your computer that you purchased it from the previous owner for x dollars, have misplaced your bill of sale and have the commissioner certify the document.  It usually costs $20 to $30 to do this, then send the document in with your application for licensing.  That's the legit way to do it.  I've heard that other people have just made up receipts, but don't have any firsthand knowledge of that ;)

Have had to do the same thing a few times for the boys that buy these old boats without any paperwork.

1) Got a notarized statement saying what was paid for the boat and when.

2) Had to photograph the Transport Canada tag on the boat if there is one, some older boats won't have one and if from the US obviously won't have one unless the previous Canadian owner applied for one. .

3) Photo of the serial number on the transom and engine if they exist. Many just aren't readable due to age.

4) Pictures of the boat

5) Sent it all to the Feds after filling out the appropriate forms from Transport Canada website.

Received paperwork in about 3 weeks to a month.

I would never do anything illegal like swap a cowl from a 9.9 to a 15HP as a 15HP and 9,9 are the same size and weight.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

thank you for all the replies. I was thinking it would cost more then the boat would end up being worth to me , im just trying to make this as legal as possible to avoid any problems with the OPP.....  the boat is rated for a 30hp motor so i would like to put a 25hp on it so i dont think a sticker swap would work haha even though i do have a 15hp. It has a hull number and everything just no bill of sale to license it.

It isn't difficult and may cost 100 bucks maybe for the notarized statement. You will have to pay sales tax on the boat, if they send you a tax statement, not always, the trailer is a provincial registration, separate from the boat. If you don't have paper for that just tell them it's home made, they don't even want a pic usually, just your Loonies. On an old 14' tinny, not much Fed tax if they ask for it as I said. They usually get it when you sell. Do it right and you won't have to stress over the OPP sending you to do hard time in prison making small rocks out of big rocks.  

I have read on iboats.com that 60% of boats in Canada are not legally registered. There are something like 10 times more Safe Boating cards  or whatever they are called than boats registered in Canada.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I would never do anything illegal like swap a cowl from a 9.9 to a 15HP as a 15HP and 9,9 are the same size and weight.

Lol I remember those times with OMC 9.9/15 outboards. What I also remember from back then is the best way to do it was to buy the 9.9 and install the 15hp kits. That way the model numbers match the cowling and the price was around the same as buying a new one for a 15. Plus you haven't done anything wrong, just souped up your engine a bit.

Cheers