BARRACUDA!

limeyangler

Congrats Simon, you d' man. What did you use to get that beast? I found they would hit just about any minnow bait when on the hunt like a simple 10 CM floating Rappala, black on silver or chrome, maybe a few split shot and a good Titanium leader. If getting  even the smaller Cuda they don't last long. They will crunch a plastic bait to smithereens. Anything with a flash worked for me.

I am never concerned with what else is swimming in the water when I wade in and fish saltwater I am more aware not to step on a Ray and get stung. They bury themselves in the sand and are difficult to see. I kick the sand in front of me when I walk. That's how that guy from Australia who's name I can't recall died. Steve something.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 2018-02-19 at 2:49 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Congrats Simon, you d' man. What did you use to get that beast? I found they would hit just about any minnow bait when on the hunt like a simple 10 CM floating Rappala, black on silver or chrome, maybe a few split shot and a good Titanium leader. If getting  even the smaller Cuda they don't last long. They will crunch a plastic bait to smithereens. Anything with a flash worked for me.

I am never concerned with what else is swimming in the water when I wade in and fish saltwater I am more aware not to step on a Ray and get stung. They bury themselves in the sand and are difficult to see. I kick the sand in front of me when I walk. That's how that guy from Australia who's name I can't recall died. Steve something.

Pearl/ pink paddle tail, the beasties love them here

18 hours ago, Jds63 said:

Wow that’s a great picture Simon ...

It is, thanks to my friend here who does fly-fishing guided tours, we always hook up when I'm here and he took me for a cruise around the mangroves in his modified skiff, was a hoot going through 4' waves on basically a raft with a 4hp on it.

21 hours ago, Headhunter said:

That's a lot of fish tacos Simon! Congrats on the catch!

HH

Lol, no doubt. Was not eaten though as there is a risk of poisoning from large predatory reef fish. I thought it was just a combination of local superstitions and religious taboos that had combined to make the Barracuda the hated fish( similar to how disdainful NW Ontarians can be about pike) but a quick search on Google a couple of years ago proved my assumptions dangerously wrong. https://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilderness_ciguatera_toxin/article_em.htm