bow mounted trolling motors

teebis

I have a Terrova. I love the spot lock feature, and it works well. It's great when you hook up you can spot lock while fighting a fish and not worry where the wind will blow you.

I'm not a MotorGuide guy (Minn Kota and Humminbird for me), but I have heard their spot lock is better unless you get the newest gen Terrova.

I wrote something up on another forum earlier this week but for your question, you have a few options.

Minnkota:

Powerdrive V2 with I-Pilot (no foot pedal if you want spot lock)

Terrova w/I-Pilot or I-Pilot Link

Ulterra w/I-Pilot or I-Pilot Link

Ultrex w/I-Pilot or I-Pilot Link

Motorguide:

Xi3 (new motor)

Xi5

Never used the Motorguide units as I had an older cable steer and hated it.

As mentioned above, The Terrova is a great motor. Loved it 90% of the time on my tracker 190TX. Ulterra is the same but has auto stow and deploy.

The new boat with have the Ultrex on it. Basically a lovechild of a Fortrex and Terrova.

If you have the extra funds, I'd get the ultrex. If not, the Terrova is the next best option if you don't care for the auto stow/deploy features of the Ulterra..

• 2 weeks later...

Get the Terrova! I have the new Ulterra self deploy, love it, but very expensive and the deploy feature crapped out on the first one, replaced under warranty but I still have my 10 year old Terrova in the garage which I used as back up while the new motor was being fixed, still works like a charm! Oh, go for as much power as you can for your boat, I have a 16' Alumacraft and went from 12V to 24V, was worried the 80" shaft would be too long but it all works beautifully.

Edited by limeyangler

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, teebis said:

I am thinking about buying a bow mounted trolling motor  for my alumacraft.

What brands have the anchor control (via gps). Which onee is best?

The new Terrova and Ulterra are the best - ive had both.  PM me - we can chat

2 hours ago, KraTToR said:

I can attest to that.  Krattor's Terrova drove us half way across Lake St. Clair one day with no problem at all.  Let's just leave it at that....;).

I have had PD's and Terrovas over the years and the Terrova is great.  

5 hours ago, G.mech said:

I can attest to that.  Krattor's Terrova drove us half way across Lake St. Clair one day with no problem at all.  Let's just leave it at that....;).

I have had PD's and Terrovas over the years and the Terrova is great.  

Ok, first off it wasn't 1/2 way, more like 1/3 of the way... and when will you ever let me live that one down? Friend! 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, KraTToR said:

And the 2017 model year includes improved spot lock if that's important to you

My xi5 has been flawless. The spotlock works fantastic as well in windy conditions. Had the terrova prior which i had many issues with. It was a gen 1 but spent more time in the repair shop than on the water. The pedal could of been better with the xi5 but im already used to it.

Could care less about the auto deploy so if i were going Minn Kota, id pick up the ultrex which works great as well. A major factor in deciding is whether you own Lowrance or HB units, and whether you plan on using the link systems for control.