Have you used a whopper plopper style lure?

OhioFisherman

It's part of the my arsenal. I have both sizes. I feel that the smaller one is too small for regular smallmouth use and the bigger one is just a little too big, but too small for regular muskie tossing and tough to use with muskie rods. My first open water choice is almost always a super spook, but the plopper is a good choice is two anglers want to through different presentations.

13 minutes ago, misfish said:

Yes Brian, there are a couple of other sizes out there too, a 90mm 3 1/2 inch and a 110mm 4 1/2 inch?

Also a lot of knock offs and I have even seen blank bodies that you can paint yourself?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SeaKnight-SK050-SK051-Whopper-Plopper-Fishing-Lure-Set-5PCS-Lot-13g-90mm-39g-130mm-Floating-Bait/32841120421.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.2.6e9b4d8fK6GLJZ&traffic_analysisId=recommend_2088_1_90158_iswistore&scm=1007.13339.90158.0&pvid=17a2b920-253f-4d53-b643-1db8bc06cf85&tpp=1

1 hour ago, kickingfrog said:

It's part of the my arsenal. I have both sizes. I feel that the smaller one is too small for regular smallmouth use and the bigger one is just a little too big, but too small for regular muskie tossing and tough to use with muskie rods. My first open water choice is almost always a super spook, but the plopper is a good choice is two anglers want to through different presentations.

I liked buzzbaits, but they don't look like anything a fish should eat, and pausing them just makes them sink.

Edited by OhioFisherman
double quote

2 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

I like them, have caught a few fish with it. More pike then bass though from my experience although I do use the bigger sized ones. I'm looking to get my hands on a small one and I use a flouro leader,  doesn't impede the action at all. 

Every lure is a pike lure up there! LOL

small wopper plopper

super spook

big wopper plopper

single bladed top raider

39403585375_d0d3036b84_b.jpg

When I bought my woppers the only 2 sizes were the 2 above. It sounds like they might have move sizes now. The size of the small is ok for me but it is very light and not as easy to cast with my usual topwater baitcast set-ups. The bigger wopper is just a bit too thick in the body for me, for smallmouths. The hooks are much thicker as well and  don't stick bass as well as other hooks.

Edited by kickingfrog

small wopper plopper

super spook

big wopper plopper

single bladed top raider

39403585375_d0d3036b84_b.jpg

When I bought my woppers the only 2 sizes were the 2 above. It sounds like they might have move sizes now. The size of the small is ok for me but it is very light and not as easy to cast with my usual topwater baitcast set-ups. The bigger wopper is just a bit too thick in the body for me, for smallmouths. The hooks are much thicker as well and  don't stick bass as well as other hooks.

Kick, I am pretty sure the sizes on them now is 90-110-130-190. I got a couple off of Ali Express to have a look at           https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ALLBLUE-Whopper-Popper-Topwater-Fishing-Lure-13g-9cm-Artificial-Bait-Hard-Fishing-Plopper-Hook-Soft-Rotating/32848403111.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000014.5.607b37dctrg7DS&traffic_analysisId=recommend_3035_null_null_null&scm=1007.13338.80878.000000000000000&pvid=7e846603-26d9-48b2-9642-bb885887bdec&tpp=1

A 130 and a 90, the 130 at like 1 1/3 ounce is heavier than just about any lure I used for bass here. The 90 from that seller isn't quite as deep in the body by the front hook as the original, so it may seem even smaller.

The hooks are sticky sharp and finish is very good, on the 90 though the gap between the body and tail section seems a bit sloppy to me. An easy fix might be to strip a piece of insulation off a wire a similar size to the wire shaft, split it a place it between the ball and wire coil on the back.

8 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I'm pretty sure the bottom one is a top raider Bill. I used to like the sound of a jitterbug coming across the water.

Jitterbug is also awesome.   I might have to try a few of the ones you posted for smallies.  Seems like something you can cover a lot of water with quickly (Opposed to most topwater lures)