Another school shooting in Florida

Old Ironmaker

It's all over the news. I grieve for those kids and teachers. Talking just the other day it seems every generation had to deal with things that might kill them. My grand parents had WW1 and WW2, Mom and Dad WW2, we had air raid sirens 100 yards from our home  to warn the Russian were nuking us and now Gen Xers and Millennials have to deal with this 

Edited by aplumma
mock cussing

And we will hear the same tired old rhetoric from the politicians and the pro-gun lobby, but when the chattering dies down nothing will be done about it. Then, some time in the coming weeks or months there will be another one!! Quite tragic!

Somehow offering 'thoughts and prayers' just doesn't cut it!!

Edited by SirCranksalot

The elementary school I went to was around 80 years old, it had a basement we called the catacombs. Like once a month we would have an air raid drill, bells or sirens would go off and the teachers would lead us to the dungeon to duck and cover from the evil menace, now the enemy seems to be within?

I am at a complete loss to understand all this, it never seems to end.

7 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

And we will hear the same tired old rhetoric from the politicians and the pro-gun lobby, but when the chattering dies down nothing will be done about it. Then, some time in the coming weeks or months there will be another one!! Quite tragic!

Somehow offering 'thoughts and prayers' just doesn't cut it!!

Exactly SirC. The Police has not cleared the school and there was already a Democrat Congressman spewing the same old rhetoric about gun laws and gun accessibility on CNN. This may be a bit more than the 24 hour news cycle, Kill only a few kids and it is old news tomorrow.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

10 hours ago, SaugaPikeSlayer said:

Not saying it can't happen here, but let's be thankful for where we live.  

It has already happened here. Not on a regular basis, obviously, like in the US, but make no mistake, Canada has its own first-hand experience with mass shootings. You're right though, be thankful where we live and the fact we don't face this every week like our neighbours to the south.

Unfortunately for American families, this will not stop until someone in Washington finally grows a set of balls and brings in some level of gun control. That's not a chop at hunters or target shooters (like me), our system works just fine. But simply being handed a free assault rifle when you buy a car, or some jewellery for your girl, or fix your roof is freaking insane, straight up. The US gun culture is completely out of control. No one needs an assault rifle, and no one needs a flame thrower.

Sadly, nothing will change in the US because its politicians continue to hide their heads in the sand, and not one of them has the kind of backbone or true leadership to stand up to the NRA and say enough is enough. This latest event will just become one of a long list of shot-up schools, and these 17 young faces will simply become anonymous statistics to a growing list of dead kids. It's really sad.

Edited by craigdritchie

There will always be the violent mentally ill. But their ability to inflict massive damage is limited by gun control laws. It’s dead simple. The US politicians are hypocritical to grieve and not do something about it. But it will never go away. The US can’t have their cake and eat it too. They are just willing to make that trade off.  

The thing is, these mass murders have only been happening for the last 20-25 years or so. Firearms laws have become more strict, even in the USA over the last 25 years. You can't blame the firearm for what is happening because if it was the fault of the firearm these things would have been happening more frequently in the past and less frequently more recently because of tighter restrictions.

Something else has happened in society over the last 25 years that is causing these events to increase. Let's discuss the changes in society that might be the actual cause of all this.

Better mental health care and the ability to react to the warning signs is needed. As this unfolds you will hear the same story from friends and family of the broken home and the social media posts that were red flags ignored. As far as the whole gun control stop wishing for a magic answer it isn't there guns are here to stay. No amount of rules is going to close Pandora box. We can't even get rid of alcohol or tobacco no matter how much we regulate it. In fact we have even raised the price to the point of stupidity and they both still fly off the shelves. Fixing the people is a reasonable approach that has a possibility of helping this situation. 

Art

1 minute ago, aplumma said:

We can't even get rid of alcohol or tobacco no matter how much we regulate it. In fact we have even raised the price to the point of stupidity and they both still fly off the shelves. Fixing the people is a reasonable approach that has a possibility of helping this situation. 

to be honest...smoking rates continue to decline year over year...Regulation and taxation being the main driver of this...pretty much proving that if you heavily regulate something and make it difficult for a person to do...Low and behold, less people do it. What a strange concept!

Looking forward to completely forgetting about this whole ordeal by Monday morning, just like the rest of the american populous...too many pockets are lined for anyone to do anything...corruption at its finest.

28 minutes ago, jonasdry said:

The thing is, these mass murders have only been happening for the last 20-25 years or so. Firearms laws have become more strict, even in the USA over the last 25 years. You can't blame the firearm for what is happening because if it was the fault of the firearm these things would have been happening more frequently in the past and less frequently more recently because of tighter restrictions.

Something else has happened in society over the last 25 years that is causing these events to increase. Let's discuss the changes in society that might be the actual cause of all this.

What is different now is the ability to buy very cheap high capacity assault rifles all over the place.  Its about easy access and better manufacturing which has led to much lower relative prices.  You can buy an AR-15 in the US for less than $500.  And they are so common that no one blinks an eye down there if you buy one.

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

The Police has not cleared the school and there was already a Democrat Congressman spewing the same old rhetoric about gun laws and gun accessibility on CNN. 

How is this not considered a political comment? Can I start bashing Donnie and his Repubs now?

1 hour ago, craigdritchie said:

It has already happened here. Not on a regular basis, obviously, like in the US, but make no mistake, Canada has its own first-hand experience with mass shootings. You're right though, be thankful where we live and the fact we don't face this every week like our neighbours to the south.

Unfortunately for American families, this will not stop until someone in Washington finally grows a set of balls and brings in some level of gun control. That's not a chop at hunters or target shooters (like me), our system works just fine. But simply being handed a free assault rifle when you buy a car, or some jewellery for your girl, or fix your roof is freaking insane, straight up. The US gun culture is completely out of control. No one needs an assault rifle, and no one needs a flame thrower.

Sadly, nothing will change in the US because its politicians continue to hide their heads in the sand, and not one of them has the kind of backbone or true leadership to stand up to the NRA and say enough is enough. This latest event will just become one of a long list of shot-up schools, and these 17 young faces will simply become anonymous statistics to a growing list of dead kids. It's really sad.

Typical FUDD ,  maybe we don't need boats with over a hundred horsepower bolted to the transom and capable of speeds over 50 MPH to go fishing, you know " If it would save just one life ". Today more firearms owners in Canada don't hunt than do,  most of the stuff you see at the range today is FUN to shoot and not your grandpappies 30-30, not unlike all the fun high horsepower toys associated with so called fishing today.  My highschool had a shooting range where the cadets shot Lee Enfield .22 trainers and for my 4 years at U  of T , I lived across the road from Hart House and was a member of the Revolver Club for that period. Two high school teachers taught the safe gun handlng course to get my hunting licence as a teen. I fail to see how guns in school is a problem, obviously making the schools a gun free zone isn't working. Actually Canadian gun owners own MORE firearms than their American counterparts as owners here tend to be hobbyists while the one in the bed stand just in case drags the US number down. I really find  it disgusting how the gun grabbers and lib left put on their grave dancing shoes after every one of these tragedies to promote their agenda rather than tackling the real problem.

6 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

How is this not considered a political comment? Can I start bashing Donnie and his Repubs now?

aside from people saying "this is terrible" this thread is inherently political. As such the thread probably cant survive on this forum under the current rules.

I will say that I am really happy to see that everyone so far has displayed simple logic!

Edited by AKRISONER

5 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I really find  it disgusting how the gun grabbers and lib left put on their grave dancing shoes after every one of these tragedies to promote their agenda rather than tackling the real problem.

I really find it disgusting that there are seventeen kids dead today because they went to school, the guy who did it warned repeatedly and explicitly on social media that he would do it, and you're saying there's nothing that could be done and if you have any ideas I don't want to hear them because you don't support "my party".

8 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

aside from people saying "this is terrible" this thread is inherently political. As such the thread probably cant survive on this forum under the current rules.

I will say that I am really happy to see that everyone so far has displayed simple logic!

Sorry, you were a minute too late for that claim to be correct.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

What is different now is the ability to buy very cheap high capacity assault rifles all over the place.  Its about easy access and better manufacturing which has led to much lower relative prices.  You can buy an AR-15 in the US for less than $500.  And they are so common that no one blinks an eye down there if you buy one.

You realize that an AR15 is just a semi-automatic rifle right? No different in function than any other semi-auto other than the fact it's black and mean looking. You also realize that the 30 round magazine is a standard capacity that has been available since it's inception and is not "high capacity". If you can't agree that access to firearms has been made tougher, even in the USA over the last 20 years you are misinformed. In the past, there were no background checks of any type, there were no functional limitations, there were no barrel length limitations, there were no magazine capacity limitations. A person could simply walk into a store and buy an AR15. While they can still do that for the most part there is a lot more awareness by both store employees and the government in the form of transaction checking and other indirect monitoring processes.

While yes, the price may have gone down, the actual process of buying one has not stayed as easy and transparent as it used to be.

Here's a suggestion:

-hire a few less ICE agents to kick out the people picking your fruit, and instead hire  officers to follow up with people threatening to kill people with their AR and take their AR away or charge them, or commit them to a mental health facility for evaluation.

This guy regularly posted things like this on social media:

-"I whana shoot people with my AR-15"

-I wanna die Fighting killing s**t ton of people"

-"I am going to kill law enforcement one day they go after the good people."

But there's nothing we can do right?

• TJQ locked this topic