Hamilton Harbour Walleye

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎15 at 7:51 PM, Fish Farmer said:

I Ice fished today close to shore behind Leander and was 41 FOW. theres spots that are almost 90 FOW

Eating fish out of the harbor your taking a chance.

With all the pharmaceuticals dumped in the harbor from the out of date sewage treatment plants in Dundas and Hamiltons Woodward plant Windamier basin, beware.

Estrogen, Steroids, Birth Control, etc. are just a few that they mentioned in the Spectator dumped every day in the harbor.

The Pike in the harbor do not produce because they found they had both female and male hormones.

We've been catching these Walleye for awhile now but I release all.

Few of us have been keeping it quiet worrying about being over harvested. 

They have to introduce some sort of 1 fish limit or slot, or the Walleye and other fish will be fished out.

The fish safe eating guide book the they put out says they are safe to eat but they only check for PCBs, Mirex, Mercury. Not pharmaceuticals.

So if you want to take a chance eating fish from the harbor, go for it.

Near future you might have to sit down to pee.:rolleyes::D

That doesn't include everything from the Coke Oven By-Products dumped in there pre 1981. We made chemical weapons from the stuff for US and British forces for use in WW1 to give everyone an idea what is in there. When there was no longer a market for things like Mustard Gas it was just dumped into the Burlington Bay.  Including every one of the designated substances known to cause Cancer and many other birth defects in children. There will be those that will eat each and every single fish caught. No doubt in my mind, no doubt whatsoever. Idiots all.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

33 minutes ago, G.mech said:

HInt; if the walleye look like this, throw them back.  They are hard to clean and quite bony.  

IMG_9241.png

Saw that picture on another site Gmech, If you look closer a smaller fish is shoved under the gill plate.

But hay have seen some scary looking fish before, like this Walleye we caught at Quinte few years back.

They told us it's still ok to eat, Id want to see that person sit down and eat it.

But your picture looks convincing just the same.:D

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Fish Farmer, it wasn't I that ratted out. Old time OG Hamilton guys don't do that. Especially east enders.

I know Johnny, was a few on social media and the article in the spec etc.

Was bound to get out anyway John, I hope they can nip it in the but and get the low limit introduced.

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

I know Johnny, was a few on social media and the article in the spec etc.

Was bound to get out anyway John, I hope they can nip it in the but and get the low limit introduced.

Agreed 110%. It isn't a big body of water. It could easily be fished out even if it is all catch and release if what I read about the mortality rate of C&R of Walleye is close to accurate.

3 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

That doesn't include everything from the Coke Oven By-Products dumped in there pre 1981. We made chemical weapons from the stuff for US and British forces for use in WW1 to give everyone an idea what is in there. When there was no longer a market for things like Mustard Gas it was just dumped into the Burlington Bay.  Including every one of the designated substances known to cause Cancer and many other birth defects in children. There will be those that will eat each and every single fish caught. No doubt in my mind, no doubt whatsoever. Idiots all.

If the MNR keeps stocking new fish to replace the ones that people eat, that may help remove some of the contaminants from the bay...   B)

23 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

If the MNR keeps stocking new fish to replace the ones that people eat, that may help remove some of the contaminants from the bay...   B)

OK you go first John. Hopefully some day it will be safe, I really hope so. I won't feel as guilty then. If you told me 20 years ago there would be Walleye in that cesspool I would call you crazy, so who knows? I fell in the East Side Lagoon that drained into the bay when I was a 16 year old HS kid working for a contractor after school. I was standing on the stuff for a few seconds before I went under. They sent me to the Stelco medical and gave me a shot of something and went back to work soaking wet. The things we had to do for 3 bucks an hour in grade 10 was insane. Good money then I tell ya. If today my parents would be reported to Child Protective Services. 16 freekin years old.

I did buy a brand new car in grade 12 though. Best car in the teachers parking lot!!

Edited by Old Ironmaker