Hamilton Harbour Walleye

I wonder if there is a warning as for consumption of those Burlington Bay Walleye and Perch? I don't know when they changed the name to Hamilton Harbour, it was called Burlington Bay back when we were kids.  

6 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Those were all the walleye they released in the Toronto Harbour last year. They needed somewhere to run and BoQ was too far. :lol::lol:

Those Pics were not too smart to go to Hamilton. Oh wait, like many from TO maybe they are taking advantage of the cheap housing. Maybe smart after all.

2 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I don't know when they changed the name to Hamilton Harbour, it was called Burlington Bay back when we were kids.  

Just for giggles I looked this up in the history books and the name was officially changed in 1919.   So how old does that make you OI 110 years or so???   In all reality though, I remember it being called Burlington Bay by the locals when I was a kid and that was in the 70's.  I guess they never got the e-mail.  

Edited by G.mech

1 hour ago, G.mech said:

Just for giggles I looked this up in the history books and the name was officially changed in 1919.   So how old does that make you OI 110 years or so???   In all reality though, I remember it being called Burlington Bay by the locals when I was a kid and that was in the 70's.  I guess they never got the e-mail.  

You didn't believe me G.? I wouldn't embellish or make something up. Man I'm older but not that old, but our text books must have been and that's what everyone called it, I still do. I went to Bartonville School that was on Kenilworth South, it was 100 years old when I went to Kindergarten in 1958. Wow I am old. Burlington Bay has been cleaned up but not enough for me to eat from it. I worked next to it for 30 years and know what was dumped in it. Reduce pollution though dilution. Google Randle Reef, one of the hottest spots in the entire World. A few years ago I was sworn to secrecy by one of our members here as they were catching Pics through the ice. No secret now.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I think the walleye fishery will be safe in the harbour.  Of course, some people will consume the fish, but I'm betting the vast majority won't.  Also, it's not a shore fishery so most will need a boat to fish walleye.

I believe eating fish out of the harbour is a big mistake.  The toxic Randle Reef, especially now that's it's being disturbed as it's being capped, as well as the old Woodward water treatment plant spewing into the contained harbour and toxic algea bloom every summer are just a few of the reasons.

Also, people who choose to windsurf in the harbour do so at their own risk, me thinks.   

12 minutes ago, Dutch01 said:

Does anyone know if the walleye stay in there all summer, or do they go out the main lake?

my guess is that you would have a mix of both resident and migrating fish...at least in my personal experience, there are always straggler fish that seem to like their digs where they spawn and never leave.

22 hours ago, misfish said:

I sure it will get heavily fished now.

This was my exact thought when I read the article.  It was nice to go out there and see one, or two boats max fishing. 

5 hours ago, Dutch01 said:

You're probably right. I was just thinking if it gets warm enough for am algae bloom, I'd be surprised the walleye would want to be in there during summer.

IMO most stay and those that do leave the bay probably may never return. The bay is pretty deep, somewheres around 70-80ft if I'm not mistaken, maybe they wouldn't be affected by the algae bloom? 

I Ice fished today close to shore behind Leander and was 41 FOW. theres spots that are almost 90 FOW

Eating fish out of the harbor your taking a chance.

With all the pharmaceuticals dumped in the harbor from the out of date sewage treatment plants in Dundas and Hamiltons Woodward plant Windamier basin, beware.

Estrogen, Steroids, Birth Control, etc. are just a few that they mentioned in the Spectator dumped every day in the harbor.

The Pike in the harbor do not produce because they found they had both female and male hormones.

We've been catching these Walleye for awhile now but I release all.

Few of us have been keeping it quiet worrying about being over harvested. 

They have to introduce some sort of 1 fish limit or slot, or the Walleye and other fish will be fished out.

The fish safe eating guide book the they put out says they are safe to eat but they only check for PCBs, Mirex, Mercury. Not pharmaceuticals.

So if you want to take a chance eating fish from the harbor, go for it.

Near future you might have to sit down to pee.:rolleyes::D

Edited by Fish Farmer

14 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Navionics shows 20-30. I was trying to figure out where to fish it. 

There's depths to 80 feet (or more). If you drive down York Blvd and look out, you'll see where the guys are fishing. 

I think the water quality in the Harbor is ok now but the sediment is still heavily contaminated. I wouldn't eat anything from there.