propane heating rights

Mr.Topwater!

Hi everyone. Last year we ran out of propane mid winter. Also once this year. We inquired about a second tank. They said "we don't need one". Do they have to put another one in if we demand it? I realize we will have to pay for it. Anyone hip on this subject? The company is Woods fuels in Frontenac County. Thanks!!

They're kind of right, you don't need a bigger tank as long they refill it on time.  If' they've already run you out twice, they need to change something, either your refill schedule or the tank capacity.  If they're not willing to resolve it, I'd shop around.  There's a few suppliers down that way who would likely be happy to serve you.  Running out should not be a concern.  

They can install a guage that shows them the level remotely somehow. We have one at work that we demanded be installed after our building ran out over xmas holidays. We were close to losing a lot of things because of it,and it was their fault. It was a huge pain in the butt to come back to after 10 days off. 

4 minutes ago, Raf said:

maybe things are different with your supplier, but when we were on propane the onus was on me to check the gauge and call for delivery when needed.

That's what I did for the last 10 years.

I'm with a new supplier now and they are doing auto fill.

They come once a month and fill me up.

Before I only had it filled twice a year but I did mess up and run out a couple of times.

I run my whole house on propane and in 8 years I've never once had to call for a fill-up. They somehow have it figured out how much everyone uses and always get there well before it's needed. They do mine every time my tanks get down to about 25%. 

I'm with Kelly's Propane as  are alot of the folks around here and everybody seems happy with them.

Edited by lew

If for some reason you're stuck with this supplier; get an auto switching regulator installed. Tee in a 75 or 100lb tank and when the main tank runs empty; it'll automatically start drawing from the reserve smaller tank. When both tanks (main & reserve) are full, you use a mechanical switch; telling the reg which tank to draw from. When that tank runs low (not empty) the reg with switch to the other tank. There will also be a red indicator, showing that you're now drawing from the reserve. This gives you time to tell your supplier to get their ass out to you and fill your tanks.

Dan.  

The companies  have a list of what my gas appliances are and they plug in what my BTU use is. They have a program that measures the temperature and estimate how fast I use it by how cold the days are. So far I haven't run out in 24 years. If they do the same thing you can give them an updated list of your appliances and the recalculations should take care of the problem. I also own my tank so I can get a better price and shop around if needed. By owning you can control how many gallons you wish to store. 

Art