Ice fishing help

motv8tr

Hey all, it's been a long while, I hope everyone is doing well.  I am planning to do a little ice fishing, hopefully with Floyd Hales, just waiting to hear back re my reservation request.  It has been years since I have ice fished, and I have never used a hut.  I will be picking up some ice fishing gear in the next week or so, what should I get beside a rod with reel :)  Ice fishing isn't something I do a lot of so I don't need to go crazy, what's the bare minimum you would recommend? 

Fishing in a hut, I will be out there all day, have you guys made use of the BBQ's provided?  Any suggestions on what to take for lunch?  i'm taking a co-worker who has never fished before and I would like to make it as enjoyable and memorable as I can.

Thanks for your help

Maureen

You'll love it. Fishing out of a hut is the lap of luxury. This past weekend 4 of us stayed overnight in a hut on Nippissing and we had a blast. 

I would say bring tunes and food, snacks. We did use the BBQ in our hut and it worked well. Also if your hut is heated with a coleman stove if you bring a pan, a loaf of bread and a block of cheese, making grilled cheese on the ice is the best. 

For fishing gear, just a couple lures should do. Spoons, smaller hooks, splitshot. Maybe a small scoop of minnows and a light tip up if you can get your hands on one. 

Nothing too fancy. You'll have a blast regardless of what you bring. 

9 hours ago, motv8tr said:

Thanks for the suggestions, and you're right Sinker they don't have BBQ's not sure why I thought they did.  I'll be going on the 22nd and will post a report when I get back :)

Maureen

Make a few perch rigs like the one in this video.  Works great! drop it until the line stops dropping, reel up till you feel tension, which means you weight is on bottom, and you will feel every bite. You can have 1 or 2 rods with that rig on and one with a jig to attract the perch. As far as jigs are concerned, northland buckshot rattle spoon works well, and Canadian tire has a variety of them.  Dont need much for perch fishing!

22nd is a weekday.  I have done better on weekdays this season, Since its a weekday, they may not be fully booked.  If fishing is slow, ask them to move you to another hut. The guides usually know if another hut has been doing better.

Wishing you a great day out on the water. :Gonefishing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2xrgAYJHI

Edited by huzzsaba

You're allowed two lines each.  So bring a minimum of two rods/tip ups, etc.  I like to have some extra rigs so that I still have two lines in the water while I am tying another rig.

You may want to consider an auger to run some tip ups out side the hut; especially if it's a nice day.  Some rod holders are good too.

I was up at Innisfil earlier this year.  We were having good luck with perch on a similar setup to the rig from huzzsaba's video.  Sunset was the best time.  Small minnows were working best.

Edited by John Bacon

Hi Mo! Keep in mind it has been a long time since I have fished, but perch rigs like huzzsaba mentioned were available pre made in most bait stores near Lake Erie here where perch fishing was common.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-leaders-spreaders/050209013509.aspx

Edited by OhioFisherman

Not wanting to spend a lot of money, take a few snelled # 6 hooks and bell sinkers.

Tie a couple snelled hooks above the bell about 10 inches apart, case a few Whities around put a snell hook on your bell sinker on bottom all baited with minnows.

Few 5 gallon buckets to set your rods on, they can be used to carry your stuff and fish.

Far as eats go, I make easy heat up on the stove Kaiser bun with ham and cheese wrapped in foil, flip a few times near the burner, don't burn your lips with the cheese MMMM.:rolleyes: Cut kielbasa up and in foil heat up on burner. Think finger food. easy peasy.

Beverage, well up to you:rolleyes::D 

OIcb0iW.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

2 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Not wanting to spend a lot of money, take a few snelled # 6 hooks and bell sinkers.

Tie a couple snelled hooks above the bell about 10 inches apart, case a few Whities around put a snell hook on your bell sinker on bottom all baited with minnows.

Few 5 gallon buckets to set your rods on, they can be used to carry your stuff and fish.

Far as eats go, I make easy heat up on the stove Kaiser bun with ham and cheese wrapped in foil, flip a few times near the burner, don't burn your lips with the cheese MMMM.:rolleyes: Cut kielbasa up and in foil heat up on burner. Think finger food. easy peasy.

Beverage, well up to you:rolleyes::D 

OIcb0iW.jpg

Pretty cool. Never thought of adding an extra hook to the sinker. What size hook l do you recommend for the whities? 

1 hour ago, huzzsaba said:

Pretty cool. Never thought of adding an extra hook to the sinker. What size hook l do you recommend for the whities? 

I snell my own hooks, I use #6 egg hooks and line I use fluorocarbon.

I don't use as mentioned above Pickerel Riggs because of the metal stand offs plus some come with big hooks. Nothing wrong with them but I like a little more stealth as they say, less hardware.

27 minutes ago, TJQ said:

Peanut Butter and Jam... always an ice fishing staple... oh .. and sausages for the BBQ!!!

TJ as soon as I saw your reply peanut butter and jam makes me think of the Crons on his fishing shows and his shore lunch, wasn't a shore lunch without canned spaghetti.:D

But nothing wrong with a peanut butter and jam or a good newfie steak sandwich. Got to be Maple Leaf Wax Bologna cut thick :D

Saw a guy cooking sausage wrapped in foil on his Mr. Heater, worked great.

Edited by Fish Farmer

1 minute ago, Mr.Topwater! said:

Warm, dry boots. First and foremost. Cold feet make for a lousy day!!!

Great tip. Also 2 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of pants.  Top can be dressed in layers since it gets hot in the upper half of the cabins.

Edited by huzzsaba

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to let you know how we do.  I don't have an auger which is one reason I decided to use a hut, also I've only ice fished a couple of times with others so don't have any of the regular gear required.  for a successful day on the ice.

I guess tomorrow is shopping day :)

Maureen

My tip of the day lol... I'm kinda surprised I've never seen these leader to line connectors mentioned anywhere. I've used them for ages and they just don't fail. There is no knot in the mainline, just a hairpin turn, compressed in a nylon pressure fit between a shaft and sleeve, and you can add/remove your leader of choice, up to four, anywhere on your line in like five seconds. They make for a good standoff from the mainline and also can be an attractant being white. Check them out, Bear Paw connectors. https://bearpawtackle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=61

Cheers

Sadly the ice fishing day had to be cancelled due to a family emergency on the part of the guyI was supposed to take :(  I didn't have it in me to go it alone. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, maybe next year I'll get out on the ice.  Now to see what I can arrange for this spring/summer, it's been too long since I've gone fishing.

Maureen