Attracting Schools of Perch

FishGuy3754

Those are not perch....they are large minnows.......LOL

I have seen just about everything to attract perch on Lake Erie including chumming with dead minnows (I don't think that works because they drift off in deep water) dropping egg shells ( I don't think they work for the same reason) to gallon clear glass jar lowered down with a mess of minnows to attract perch. Not sure about this one because everyone was catching perch that day.

I have a few secrets to catching Lake Erie Jumbo Perch but I certainty am not going to share them on the internet for millions to see.

Half of the catch of the day.jpg

Fish Guy, welcome aboard. I don't want to sound mean and scare you away.  That video 12 minute long is 11 minutes too long. His theory is flawed as far as perch go, perch school. A big chrome spoon or flutter bait maybe. The video should be called "attracting micro fish."  A for effort.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

2 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

That was short and sweet and to the point. ? Some Italian in you? ?

Mr G those are great looking perch!  You were on ?

Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you......that day was not a good day for the bear or Lake Erie Jumbos. . . .  :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Lol I just like that its more to do during the day of fishing. The first couple years I was ice fishing we were mostly dropping a minnow down and just waiting and it was very hit or miss. At least this technique might help hone in on the jumbos later.

On 11/02/2018 at 12:26 PM, Mister G said:

I have seen just about everything to attract perch on Lake Erie including chumming with dead minnows (I don't think that works because they drift off in deep water) dropping egg shells ( I don't think they work for the same reason)

Here's a way to get your chum to the bottom, right below you. I've tied minnows in row bags to keep them concentrated in one spot. About a 50/50 mix of bagged and individual minnows. 

A chum funnel.

chumming_funnel3.jpg

Send a weighted line down the hole to the bottom. Fill the funnel with your choice of chum and flip the lid closed. Attach the funnel to the line with the snap swivel. Put the funnel in the water and allow it to fill with water; before letting it go. Let the funnel hit bottom and then give the weighted line a couple of jigs. The funnel will flip upside down; lid will flip open and dump the chum.

The thing about chumming, while ice fishing; is that it takes time to draw fish in. Don't expect anything the fist day; unless you're already on top of fish and then it didn't matter you chummed. From what I've found is that the third day (chumming at least twice a day), is when you might find some extra action due to the chum. I think the fish need to become accustom of there being an easy food source; where you've been chumming. Like any type of fishing; put the time in and you will usually see good results. 

Dan .

Edited by DanD