Took 20 years but finally a wall-mounter!

Meely

Back in early July of 2017, I was looking for some jig heads and plastic jigs to use while on summer vacation. 

I connected with Bigugli and bought some fantastic jigs he pours and paints. I then connected with GBW who hooked me up with a half dozen packages of plastic jigs (Widow Makers) of  various colours .

In August I managed to get away for a few days of fishing with Buckster on the northern end of Pigeon Lake. Our goal was to try our luck with some walleye . 

We got to a spot that looked promising and be began to gear up . I had  on a Bigugli chartreuse special jig head and a craw-dad coloured Widow Maker twister tail .  

We fished for five minutes when I feel a dead weight  on the end of my line . I says to Buckster..... "Musky...I hope the  line holds!!"  Well after a ten minute fight we see the fish under the surface and to our  amazing delight a HUGE walleye!! We get the old girl into the boat, take a few pictures and measurements and set her free to delight someone else in the future .

As we did not have a scale, we plugged the dimensions into an on-line calculator and found she was just over 11 pounds!!  Now I know there are alot bigger walleye than 11 pounds but for the Kkawarthas, I think it was a pig.

Since the first day of fishing Pigeon.       ( 20 years ago) I had always said that any Walleye over 10 pounds was going to get immortalized by replica and mounted on the cottage wall.  

Well, last Sunday I turned the big 50 and to my surprise my wonderful wife had secretly had a replica made and gifted it to me . I was speechless!

These replicas truly are works of art and I'm gonna enjoy many days admiring it and recounting the story of that August day .

A BIG shout-out to Bigugli, GBW, Buckster and of course my fabulous wife . Life truly is wonderful!

Now after 20 years of fishing Pigeon, I am still  hunting for a six pound bass and a 30 pound Musky!!!

Here is a picture of my mounter!

Cheers,

Meely

IMG_1784.JPG

I didn't know the Kawartha's held Pics of that size, now I do. Congrats to you, she's a beast, big around the middle . And I concur those jigs Big Ugly makes really work. All they are is a bit of lead, a hook and a dab of paint but for some reason they out fish other similar looking jigs. The tube jigs I got from Bruce at the Fishing swap in Ancaster last year they out fished all others here for Smallies and I even got a bonus 3 pound Walleye where the Bass where last June and Lenny snagged a 5 pound Pike that broke him off on a Bruce Tube. I had to lend one to him then and only then did he started catching when he didn't before switching to a Big Ugly Tube (I'm copywriting that). Why they work when others do not? I have no idea and don't care either. Maybe he get's his cutie patooty baby Grand Daughter to drool on them. She's the one who actually sold them to me. Good marketing move Bruce.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

First off happy belated 50th Birthday Meely.  

They did a nice job on the mount particularly if that was from the picture you showed our little group in the fall. Never realized Tony was your net man for that fish. Lucky you got it in the boat:P.  I also think you owe Zen a nice evening out for such a meaningful and thoughtful  birthday gift. I'm assuming it will be on the wall in the "Manor" somewhere.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

50? Geeze, I thought you were much older than that! :P

That is a real trophy from pigeon, bud. It looks awesome too. Great job they did. That 30lb musky should be no problem. The bass....well....who cares about bass anyways hahaha....

Happy belated birthday! 

S.