spreader for fishing whitefish/Lakers

huzzsaba

I've used those type for Whities on Bark lake with those old time tip ups where you set it right on the bottom using small salties for bait and the tip pointing just slightly down. When a fish takes it it does actually tip up, hence the original name. We caught Whities, Suckers and Lakers on them. Each shack came with a can full of small salties. After a few days though fingers got pretty rough from all that salt lol.

However I use the two way spreaders on my "tip ups" for Walleye and Perch  or even Lakers sometimes. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?q=2 way spreaders  I replace the hooks with a longer snell, which allows live minnows to swim freely . They also don't get snagged on the bottom of the hole like the three way ones do all the time with the long snells.

Cheers

I haven't seen that kind before, as a kid we used this type   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-20-stainless-steel-bait-lure-spreaders-wire-perch-rigs-or-half-moon-/121770955098?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 

for crappie and perch. Double headers were fairly common, might be a lot tougher thru the ice hole or with bigger fish?

We used 2 way spreader custom made around Lake Simcoe.

The hooks are on a piece of line that slide in and out.

You start with the line in and 2 saltys or pin heads. adjust the hook so it's  sitting strait up.

When the whitey picks bait up the line slides out giving you that early warning.

Extremely effective and a pain in butt. 

thanks for all the replies guys.  I picked one up from CT, but plan on also buying the setup from Don from Bear Point ice huts, since we are renting the hut from him.

Will report back when we get out!

Edited by huzzsaba

Bring a vibrato and a meegs jig. That's all you need. Maybe a williams half and half hammered. I would sleep all day using a spreader....so boring. Also, if you are going to use a spreader, buy them from the operator.  They might cost more, but they are the ones that work. Donny and the boys have the good ones. 

S. 

16 hours ago, Sinker said:

Bring a vibrato and a meegs jig. That's all you need. Maybe a williams half and half hammered. I would sleep all day using a spreader....so boring. Also, if you are going to use a spreader, buy them from the operator.  They might cost more, but they are the ones that work. Donny and the boys have the good ones. 

S. 

15 hours ago, misfish said:

MAYBE?????????????

MY GAWD MAN

My go to.

got the vibrato and a williams whitefish half silver half gold jigging spoon. Also have tube jigs and jig heads. Plan to have the spreader as my 2nd line which I will buy from Donny.

Also, do you guys tie directly or use a snap swivel with these lures?

Edited by huzzsaba

• 2 weeks later...