question regarding my fishfinder

huzzsaba

I spent some time this morning and came up with this setup. Found all the stuff in the garage,so looks pretty ghetto lol.  I think the angles are pretty straight. Hopefully it works for us tomorrow!  Going out with Bear point Ice huts. Praying to catch my first Laker and whitefish!

20180210_083159_resized.jpg

20180210_083224_resized.jpg

Have you tried hanging it in water.

The wood may effect it from hanging straight up & down.

That's the reason I let it hang by the cord using the bracket to keep it level. Gravity with the only floatation at the top.

Good luck tomorrow.

Edited by Woodsman

On 2/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, Sinker said:

I have a tite lock clamp on transducer holder I can sell you cheap if your interested. I'm near peterborough though....

It would work great, and I have never used it. Just clamp it on a bucket and your good to go. 

S. 

Thanks.  I will send you a pm about it.

35 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

Not the cable, current pulling the line on an angle when fishing deep.

How did the sonar work Huzz?

It worked fine although I took apart the setup I made.  was useless and tipping over as you mentioned. i just dropped the transducer down and tried to get it to sit at a good angle. I think most of my earlier troubles was due to the settings. i was able to fine tune the settings to work just right or close enough

I think I will invest in an ice transducer and or slightly higher end sonar with flasher for next season. May also invest in a portable hut and auger. Who knows!

Edited by huzzsaba

If there was  "like" option this thread would get 2 pages of likes. I have been using sonar for over 25 years but have learned much on this thread. Thanks go to you all. I don't know what we did to pass time on a slow or non excitant bite before we had cartoons to watch. Oh yea, drank beer.

On my very first unit other than the flasher has an ice fishing set up. A portable with solid horizontal rod that goes to a vertical steel rod and the transducer has a bubble on it that shows dead level. When in a boat it suction cups to the transom. Eagle Ultra Fish I.D. that I can still use to this day if I knew who borrowed it.

3 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

You'll notice which way your line is "leaning" in areas with current.  Sometimes on Quinte you need drill a seperate hole a few feet down current to pick up your bait.  

One morning on Simcoe for ch its and giggles, we drilled to see how far the bait was . We drilled just over 15 ft away to mark buddys jig in 112 fow. Simcoe current gets crazy.

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

. I don't know what we did to pass time on a slow or non excitant bite before we had cartoons to watch. Oh yea, drank beer.

The main purpose of a sonar, apart from telling you the depth, is to keep the fisherman entertained so he doesn't get bored or discouraged and go home!! That's how they help catch fish---the guys stay out longer!:lol: 

My buddy and I spent 2-3 hrs w/o a single bite but we were watching quite a few 'window shoppers' come along for a look. Prob female fish looking for a better deal a bit further along. Without that entertainment we would prob have left after an hr or so. After 2-3 hrs my buddy was "rewarded" by a big 'nice looking' ling!!:lol:

I have noticed that mine is starting to die near the end of the day and I believe that it has to do with the battery.  It used to last me almost three days and now it is tough to make it through the day. I use the same set up as you.  Not sure how old you battery is, but that might be it.

Huzz,  I can't seem to be able to PM with the new format or I would have for this info. You need to get a copy of this Springs CAA magazine. The Volvo Agera RS Supercar has a top speed of 447.19 KPH, no not a typo, 447.19 KPH at I don't know how many G's welding you in the seat. The Polestar 1 looks like a 2 door Maserati concept car, the rear spoiler deploys from the trunk once the car hits 100KPH. These ain't Moma's kid mover Volvo wagon or your Professors 4 door crash tested sedan. I hope they bring back the glory days of the P-1800. 

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&biw=1093&bih=528&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=NP2EWo-1B8rWjwO21pHoBg&q=volvo+polestar+1&oq=volvo+polestar&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l10.487773.494769.0.497031.15.10.1.4.5.0.360.1495.0j1j4j1.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..5.10.1551...0i67k1j0i13k1.0.6gYbBTTatT0

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker