Drill auger combo

SirCranksalot

26 minutes ago, SirCranksalot said:

I have an ordinary 18v Dewalt with Ni-Cad batts rated at 1.5 A-H. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying a Clam plate for it. Bigger cap'y batts seem to be avail on-line fairly cheap if I need 1 or 2. Then again, I don't tend to drill many holes. I have a 6" Mora/Normark.

Comments/suggestions?

With a 6" you will be fine. Like you said. Not many holes.  As you know already, I started with just the drill. Then went to the plate when I upgraded when I went to the 8". Clam plate, bigger drill power. If your only going out once in a while, and only doing a few holes, yer good. I would how ever, up grade the battery. XRP. More juice.

10 hours ago, BillM said:

Brian should have patented the one he made me a few years ago.   Connects to my 8in Fin-bore and my DeWalt 20v rips through 18inches of ice with ease.    

Hmmm---I'd be very interested in this! For one thing, I quite enjoy making things. Heck, I even made a DIY 'jawjacker' that I can't be bothered using! Second--I was searching on the net and it seems most everybody is sold out of Clam plates.  

I did drill a couple of holes about  years ago but the potential for a serious wrist injury scared me off. I just had the little adapter from CTC.

12 hours ago, BillM said:

Brian should have patented the one he made me a few years ago.   Connects to my 8in Fin-bore and my DeWalt 20v rips through 18inches of ice with ease.    

Cliff and I tried to sell it off to a company. Never heard back. :dunno:

Since I couldn't find the finbor 3 6" I wanted, I bought another brand. I will be testing it out in the morning. I will be sight fishing, so I will be bringing both the 8" and 6". The 8" for seeing and the 6" for the ducer.  That is the plan right now, but will be trying a side by side hole, or a mickey. 

Comparison video will be coming in the next 24 hours. 

On 2/1/2018 at 9:26 AM, SirCranksalot said:

Hmmm---I'd be very interested in this! For one thing, I quite enjoy making things. Heck, I even made a DIY 'jawjacker' that I can't be bothered using! Second--I was searching on the net and it seems most everybody is sold out of Clam plates.  

I did drill a couple of holes about  years ago but the potential for a serious wrist injury scared me off. I just had the little adapter from CTC.

I just gave away my prototype. The first I ever made. 

Comment is NOPE. You can still get twisted. I was talking to a buddy yesterday that was using the handle. After he seen the plate, he is looking for one now.

I bought a BPS 6" off of Costa this morning. Took the 8" off and put the 6" on. OMG. For a auger that is just straight blades, it cut through 16" of ice in seconds. I could not believe it. I didnt even apply pressure. Just the weight of the plate and drill was way more then it needed to cut a hole. Need to work on my side by side holes. :lol:

4 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

Re-thinking this a bit. By the time I spend $100 on a Clam plate and more on bigger batt(s), I might be better buying a Ridgid 18 V. Apparently it has a side handle that can be used to brace against the torque and avoid wrist injury. Comments? Thx

The rigid drills have lifetime warranty. 

Just got one set up today

got a Canadian tire MAXIMUM 20v brushless drill on sale today and the little $15 fitting to connect to my 6” fin bor III 

I charged it up and tested it tonight

20 holes in 18” of ice on the 2ah battery they come with 

with the 2 batteries charged I doubt I’ll ever run outta juice

and holy hell if it bites that drill kicks so pay attention!!!!

i have the extra handle on (hammer drill handle?) and it helped a lot too... I imaging drilling 20-40 holes without it would cause wrist pains 

• 2 weeks later...