Non-minnow bait for ice fishing

Acountdeleted

Still hoping to get out a few times before the season is over but one of the main factors is going to be that 2018 is on a budget. Though I can't do anything about the gas used to get to the lake I figure I can save a few bucks not buying minnows. Though the deal is good at a lot of places I don't really have a way of making salties or keeping them alive. So I figure I'll go another route.

I've heard good things about waxies and figure I can pick them up at the pet store. What else has worked for people that's live? I know the crazies like B will tell me not to use bait, but I have always found adding meat just seems to make the fish that much more hungry. 

I saw waxies for $7 for a dozen in a bait shop near guilford a while back.  I just about doubled over laughing.  I can get a scoop of minnows for about $6 on the west side, and $5 on the east side of Simcoe.  Pet shop waxies aren't super cheap either, it's probably just as economical to buy a scoop of minnows.  If you really want to save money all you need is a half minnow on a buckshot rattle spoon or jigging rap for perch, even jumbos will eat that happily.  Lakers I wouldn't really worry to much about bait but for perch it can make all the difference having a bit of scent.  Making salties is about as hard as dumping your remaining minnows in a ziplock and pouring in a bit of iodized salt on top.  That's all I've ever done for the last 25 years.  Anyway, waxworms definately won't be a big money saver in my experience.  They used to sell 50 for $5, but that's a long time ago.  Even power baits etc won't save you a lot of bread.  They dry out over time, or leak, and cost $7 a jar but can be pretty effective and I always carry some.

Geez, what's wrong with using little pieces of dew worms.  I buy a dozen at the beginning of the year and it usually last me the whole winter when going for panfish.  I just put a 1/4" - 1/2" piece on it lasts for a number of fish.

I do like using minnows on Simcoe though, but worms have worked well for me there also.

Wax worms are costly and they don't last long on the hook.

Edited by jimmer

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

Even power baits etc won't save you a lot of bread.  They dry out over time, or leak, and cost $7 a jar but can be pretty effective and I always carry some.

I had a jar for 4 years. Juice evaporated by then. Still work. 

$7 for a jar over that span is super cheap.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:15 PM, SirCranksalot said:

Why not just freeze the dead minnows instead of salting them?

They turn to mush once frozen. When salted they never freeze hard. Windshield washer fluid works well as a preservative too but I still add salt for flavour after taking them out of the freezer.

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

I remember when I first tried Uncle Josh minnows in a jar. Didnt work for me.

Jer, if you can get to a bait place, ask for the dead minnows. Im sure you will get a bunch at a real good price. Then salt them.

Edited by misfish

Guys,

Tried the salted emerald shiners from SAIL this past weekend. Added them to a Williams ice blade & various jigs. They stay on as well as fresh live minnows without the thrashing around. Stiff enough to hook through the head no shredding or tearing. I cut a few into small pieces to salt various drilled holes over night as well. Did not specifically help with catching fish though. I will try them again on different lures.