A NUNAVUT NOMAD III. TREE RIVER ROOTS.

Moosebunk

Daylight is lasting nearly seven hours up here in Nunavut this month, but cold days dipping into the -40's with -50F windchills have been keeping me indoors a little more than I'd like. A bit stir crazy, the work and on-call hours have helped pass some time, as well as eight seasons of Entourage to watch.  My room-mate and I have been talking char now and again, as he lives full-time in this place atop of Hudson Bay on South Hampton Island.  Last summer he found fish, and plenty of them once he bought an ATV to get him out onto the land.  There were July days the rivers were thick with returning silver fish, fresh from the ocean, and well upstream found in some of the smaller, shallow holdover lakes there were some reds to be caught come August.  From town is a rough, 70 mile tundra road which stretches a ways along the coast then turns inland.  Along it's route are a few rivers and lakes that connect with the sea.  The hope is my friend is still working here in July and there's some work to be had for my return, but there's even more hope to explore and find char... 

In the meantime it all got me thinking back... again!   

A seed to one day fish for arctic char had been planted sometime in the late teens, early twenties. And it was these first short trips to Nunavut with Brenda which watered that seed. The Tree River is world class, holds world records, and yet I remember it seemed not quite of this world.  Today I took some time to piece two pieces of two trips into one "sorta" story about fishing char the first couple times.  Some inspiring landscapes and intensely beautiful fish in this look back...  

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/a-nunavut-nomad-iii-tree-river-roots/

53a.jpg?resize=1080,675

Bunk.

Edited by Moosebunk

Don't give us any sad stories about the cold and the dark Bunk, you're wanderlust is envious.

I'm doing the same thing on a smaller scale, thinking about next season's trips, looking at maps, googling info, talking with guys, looking at more maps...

Edited by chris.brock

On 1/31/2018 at 9:34 PM, chris.brock said:

Don't give us any sad stories about the cold and the dark Bunk, you're wanderlust is envious.

I'm doing the same thing on a smaller scale, thinking about next season's trips, looking at maps, googling info, talking with guys, looking at more maps...

But, but, but Chris... It is really cold.  Dark, not so much actually, not for Arctic standards.

Lots of digging and prep to do for this summers trips.  Kinda because they're still all up in the air except one.  Don't forget to drop me a line though with your tour dates.  Seriously will try and meet up if home and able.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:49 PM, BillM said:

I've said this before but I'll make it up there one day.   I will cast my arms off and shed a tear if I ever land one of those beauties.  Fish of a lifetime.

Trips to the Tree have increased in price Bill, Looking back it was kinda just dumb luck that the first trip was taken, leading to our second one won.  It's become a popular spot too, and the only week or two a year that an exclusive 7 day trip is allowed, it's heavily booked in advance.  Same with some other char outfitters as well though.  Hoping to travel each summer to different communities for work but eventually find a place that is "set-up" and "reliable" enough to return to for just a great char fishing vacation.  Preferably at least half the average cost of these outfitters.

16 minutes ago, akaShag said:

The story brings back memories for me, as well.  And I was never there, just experienced it vicariously through your reports.  Thanks again, Bunk!

Doug

Nice to hear from ya Doug.  Home from Nunavut this week.  Hoping the ice is treating ya nice this year.