Working stream fed flats

misfish

I have been trying something different from time to time. Looking for feeder creeks that flow out to large flats. Walking these feeder creeks in the spring, I have found huge schools of shinners in them. I have found 2 that  seem to hold fish, and now, 3. My hopes today were not great, as I knew the recent thaw would make the waters murky. Being a new area, I waited til a bit of light had started. This morning I was not dragging the hut. Just the boggan and the essentials. I was going to be moving a bunch today.  As I walked out, I drilled and drop the ducer to see my depth. First spot was 20 fow. Stopped and jigged a bit and had a large school of herring. These were very small. 6"-8".  I stayed for about 20 minutes and moved again. Not far from the first. 100ft. Drilled again and was over 31 fow. Lower old faithful once again. It didn't take long again, for a school of herring to start nipping at the williams. Then, much larger marks moved in. They would come for a look, but disappear. Stayed for 30 minutes with the same results. Probly marked 7 good fish. Move time again. I figured I would just head to the edge of the flat and work my way back around the area. I do not have that fancy app or a camera to show me what the bottom texture is like, I use a paper map.   Lucky guess on my next location, as I was pretty close to the edge when I drilled my next hole. Set up and start jigging. No clouds of herring and no marks. I bring the Williams half colom, and start big lifts and falls. This seemed to bring some fish in and they would come up to the bait, stick around and back down. Im thinking Im on to something here. Continue with this large lift and fish would do the same. I switch up to a Meegs,then to a verbrado. Same results. :o

I needed a bit of a snack, so put the rod down leaving the williams hanging mid colom. Reach for my sandwich and out of the corner of my eye, I see a streak coming from the bottom. Grab the rod, hold,hold and rip the bait away from the streaker. The mark went up and down and up and down chasing it.  Hooked up. At first I thought you stupid herring, but turned out to be a small eater whitefish. A quick snap of the head and one in the bank.

I kept moving around finding fish, but no other takers. Went back to my first hole on the way in. Screen was blank for 10 minutes. Started the large lifts again. Big marks show up, but did not take. 

So I guess my point of this report is,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Try something new, as new, could be your next favorite spot. As I walked back, I turned around and said,

I,LL BE BACK.

They are there, just need to be there on the right day.

Sorry for the long read for a small fish, but thought I would share.

LciaEGn.jpg?1

uuEm6Qq.jpg?1

Came home to the smell of cabbage rolls cooking, so decided to make lunch for Monday

Pan fried  black bean garlic/sweet chili white fish over noodles. ;D

82pIYuX.jpg?1

Thanks guys.

We can all follow the crowds, that is a given. But when you can get out there and find something new, it,s a great feeling. I have a large weed bed area I want to try later for perch. I know there is no one that fishes it. There is perch and pike there during the open water. Time spent looking will tell.