NF - Cooking ribs

GBW

So tomorrow I'm planning to do up a rack of ribs.  Would you toss them in a slow cooker for the day or in a smoker?  Right now for wood if going the smoker method all I have is apple and cherry woods.  I'm sort of leaning towards the slow cooker so I can FINALLY try and get out on the ice for a bit tomorrow.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

G

Yep, bang on Brian. Nothing wrong with it either. 

Mix one cup of vinegar, one cup of brown sugar and one cup of ketchup into slow cooker. Mix it up thoroughly.

Add whatever lol. I just use garlic and pepper.

Place in ribs. Cook on low for 6-8 hours

Go hammer fish.

Get home and eat a virtually mess free tasty meal!

Best back rib recipe in the world.  Trust me on this.  Take the rack and strip off the membrane on the back.  Take some liquid smoke and sprinkle a bit on the ribs and rub it all around.  Then take a small amount of olive oil and rub it all over.  Then put on garlic powder, pepper and salt on all sides.  Maybe a bit of chilli powder if you like. Then bake in the oven at 275 for about 3 hrs.  Then just before you are going to eat them, put them on the BBQ to warm/crisp them a bit.  Put sauce on after (or dip in sauce as you eat them).  

17 minutes ago, Tom S said:

To me Ribs mean smoker. No boiling, no slow cooker. ~6 hours of smoke (apple is great), dry rub beforehand and a sauce near the end. Low and slow baby. 

Definitely no boiling. Toughens them and takes out flavour. Smoker is best. But if you don't have one I have found my technique is the best alternative. 

I have done them 3 different ways and they all come out good

If boiling, first cut ribs up by cutting on the same side of the bone for each rib,  now you have individual ribs with all the meat on one side of the bone. Boil for 40 minutes with a onion and a couple of celery stalks. Remove and drain for a few minutes. Put ribs in a bowl and cover with your favorite BBQ sauce. Grill until toasty.

Smoked ribs I leave whole and rub it with my secret Rib Rub and slow smoke for about 3 hours until the bones are sticking out. I use maple, hickory or mesquite wood.

Right now I have some cut up ribs in the slow cooker on low. All I do is rough chop a onion, salt and pepper the ribs or use a rib rub and place in the crock pot............cover with BBQ sauce and let it go for at least 8 hours, maybe 10 hours.

I am also making home made back beans to go with it....

So I went with the slow cooker route (no water to boil them, used a bit off BBQ sauce) after letting them stay in the fridge with a spice/warm rub on the meat over night.  Got the car and gear all packed to take the GF ice fishing for her 1st time ever (she never had a license till today so today was huge for her) as we got back to my place to get the gas auger and then that's when the day went to poop.  The gas auger is the only one I have at the moment and well it was spitting gas all over the place.  Yeah sure it wasn't used at all last season so I kind of had a feeling it may need some work...  Took the afternoon to clean up the carb and get it to run smooth again but it's leaking big time when layed down on its side.  Oh well, the day was productive the the rib's we killer!!!  Thanks all 

G  

Edited by GBW