DIY Trading/Investing

grimsbylander

If you are investing long term > 10 years max out your TFSA and  put that money in index funds as long term the market outperforms all assets even real estate. Take advantage of dollar cost averaging by putting money in each month. Rebalance periodically based on your risk tolerance. A good guide for which funds to buy check out www.canadiancouchpotato.com .

If you need your money sooner than that put it in a high interest GIC or High Interest Savings account to make sure you don't lose anything when you need it out.

Its October always rough..

The Friday the 13th mini-crash was a stock market crash that occurred on Friday, October 13, 1989. The crash - referred to by some as "Black Friday"

In finance, Black Monday refers to Monday, October 19,1987, when stock markets around the world crashed. 

The Wall Street Crash of 1929, also known as theStock Market Crash of 1929 or the Great Crash, is the stock market crash that occurred in late October, 1929. It started on October 24 ("Black Thursday") and continued until October 29, 1929("Black Tuesday"), when share prices on the New York Stock Exchange collapsed.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, LeXXington said:

Its October always rough..

The Friday the 13th mini-crash was a stock market crash that occurred on Friday, October 13, 1989. The crash - referred to by some as "Black Friday"

In finance, Black Monday refers to Monday, October 19,1987, when stock markets around the world crashed. 

The Wall Street Crash of 1929, also known as theStock Market Crash of 1929 or the Great Crash, is the stock market crash that occurred in late October, 1929. It started on October 24 ("Black Thursday") and continued until October 29, 1929("Black Tuesday"), when share prices on the New York Stock Exchange collapsed.

And the 2007 financial crisis stock market issues also started in late fall 2007 in October.  Then it went down over the next year and plunged in October 2008.   

On 10/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, RossFisher said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BettingBruiser/status/1045334248549277701

all 100% true ..insider info " this latest one was in BC, part of those 100,000 DNA clones they shipped from chocolate town earlier this year."

investors are going to take a bath.

if bath means +9%, then sure......

this was the same thing you posted on the previous page.  the real story is they did not get health canada approval at that facility in time so they stopped watering them and let them die on purpose.

edit: canopy up almost 15% today LOL

stop losses are in all my pot stocks.. this has been an incredible run

Edited by Raf

33 minutes ago, RossFisher said:

Dont wait to lose it all ..

Today is the day to buy!

“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful” - Warren Buffett

Edited by Raf

IMHO, as someone who hit the OCS site at the stroke of midnite Wednesday and found a poor selection and an even poorer selection in the larger weights and later in the day revisited to find even those were sold out, they are going to have to get their act together if they want to displace the illegal market. Originally they said 1-3 days delivery and then revised that to 3-5 days, my order from the first hour after opening,  just went out a 5pm yesterday.  Considering all the media attention the first week was a majour flop for the customers,  not impressed.

2 minutes ago, dave524 said:

IMHO, as someone who hit the OCS site at the stroke of midnite Wednesday and found a poor selection and an even poorer selection in the larger weights and later in the day revisited to find even those were sold out, they are going to have to get their act together if they want to displace the illegal market. Originally they said 1-3 days delivery and then revised that to 3-5 days, my order from the first hour after opening,  just went out a 5pm yesterday.  Considering all the media attention the first week was a majour flop for the customers,  not impressed.

i've heard the same.  Issues are to be expected the 1st week and by all accounts, demand was far greater than anticipated.  The provinces with brick and mortar locations are great for hype with lineups every day.  sold out shelves are a good thing for investors provided the LPs can work out the supply chain kinks.  Ontario gets brick and mortar in April.

i dont buy into this whole "pesticide" conspiracy Bull...i friggin guarantee that the stoners that were buying weed 10 years ago from the hells angels had no friggin clue what the hell was on their weed. Now that theres transparency all of a sudden people are freaking out lol. You really think some illegal grow oppers gave a damn about keeping the weed grown in the molson brewery tanks in barrie organic? lmao sounds like someone has smoked a bit too much.

Like anything with the government, they botch the launch and take years of Bull until they get things running smoothly. I gotta laugh at the folks that think that dont realize that the very funding that is being generated by the legal sale will be used to ensure that the black market suffers immensely to the point that it just becomes totally unfeasible to try and grow it illegally.

Yes the black market will thrive for now but it will dwindle away once the legal system is settled. How many folks here drink hooch on the regular because its "cheaper". Aside from some croats and italian guys with their grappa and moonshine, most people i know only have LCBO liquour in their cabinets.

1 hour ago, RossFisher said:

you must own some    

will hit 30  in short order.

are you talking about Canopy (WEED/CGC)??  cause there are a whole slew of other LPs listed on the exchanges.

Constellation (STZ) gave us 5 billion reasons Canopy will not fall far below $CDN 48.  If you were paying attn you could have made 20% on Aphria today.

8 hours ago, RossFisher said:

you must own some    

will hit 30  in short order.

Lol if you are still in weed stocks you are way late to the party. I was in on canopy at $4.50 and APH at $3.25

cashed out a long time ago when stuff got stupid. Could have obviously made a pile more, but my truck was paid for in cash

5 hours ago, RossFisher said:

oh my  .....

I don't have to tell you that doubling your money is what it is all about. :)

or tripling ;) 

done this a few times in my life, just need to think about stuff before other people realize. Even I was late to the party on weed, the really smart investors were in way before even I was.

I did this with Ford motor company when they announced the bail out, the company couldnt lose so i went in and sure enough doubled up.

BP was another one I wanted to do but didnt have the capital to get in at such a high share price. When the oil spill happened but they finally got things under control I wanted to buy because the stock value took a total beating, the fundamentals of the company havent changed, the company will still make money so theres always a clear upside.

Most recently once again i didnt have the capital to invest, but when nike dropped the colin kapernick ad and all of the racist investors bailed outta the stock I told my friends to all buy, sure enough the stock hit an all time high about a week later.

Everything right now is taking a beating though, standard october sell off...how far it will fall will be telling, we are definitely due for another recession, its been 10 years and theres basically one every decade.

Catching a stock going up is the easy part.

Selling for a profit is incredibly difficult.

I was talking to opening day weed  buyer

who is buying to return the product. "Why"

To cost Gov. thousands of dollars.

So you wanted weed legal all your life a  now your not happy.

When she gets answer strait I will report back. 

On 10/26/2018 at 7:04 AM, Garnet said:

Catching a stock going up is the easy part.

Selling for a profit is incredibly difficult.

That's because whenever you see this:

human-nature1.gif.36a2862001922535f5351649f3b88d66.gif

You're hoping it's going to turn into this (and almost everyone carries a certain amount of wishful-thinking , if not a small spark of hidden, inherent greed):

human-nature3.gif.7ee1a725e177e34286c402961528e588.gif

But, all too often, it is actually the start of this :

human-nature2.gif.37a925d1395fa290172a443131c0e54d.gif

and we are all human beings.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1st post....and and it’s not about fishing?, but I couldn’t resist.

DIY investing is inherently risky, and as long as your not playing with your retirement funds and your prepared to lose the funds you have allocated to it, the go for it.

I use my TFSA for DIY investments. My retirement funds are safely invested elsewhere in a balanced portfolio of 60% equities (growth) and 40% fixed (bonds etc) .......set it, and forget it, except to rebalance as required to keep the 60/40 mix. No GICS, No Mutual Funds.....and the btw, the Bank is not your friend.

Here’s my personal approach to DIY “investing”, and I used quotations, because I don’t consider it as really investing.....it’s more like playing the market.

Buy good stuff when it’s on sale.

When everyone is buying or selling, consider doing the opposite. Don’t let other people’s emotions drive your decisions i.e. FOMO

When you buy a stock, immediately create a sell order with a “stop limit”, so if your fortune reverses, at least it will sell before your your shirt.....and keep adjusting as it rises in value, but leave some room for ‘noise’.

Many small Gains are better then a few risky bets.

My 2 cents.    Ray.