DIY Trading/Investing

grimsbylander

• 2 months later...
On 26/01/2018 at 2:36 PM, Garnet said:

Even Canopy the darling with 17 million sales should be $3.50- $4 .

At $35 don't get caught in the correction. It may never come back to $35. 

almost $39 today, NYSE listing tomorrow, royal assent june 7th.  yada yada

:)

you cannot base fair value in a growth industry like this on sales alone.  just look at AMZN and NFLX.  CGC is not going anywhere and the first mover advantage afforded them and the other big Canadian LPs will be huge as more and more countries legalize globally

Edited by Raf

I started buying weed stocks about 3 months before Trudeau's election most over the counter.

I find it amusing the press say he has done nothing just create the first new sine

tax in 100 years.  And he will start the tax machine shortly.

I could buy a very nice truck but I have one.

Edited by Garnet

26 minutes ago, BillM said:

Buying a new truck is just pissing all the $$ away you made investing :)  

lol...the loss on investment was being in a terrible relationship which resulted in me losing my house, car and furniture lmao. Hard to walk to Pointe Au Baril :)

In a lot of ways, i feel like the weed blip was the universes way of making things straight with me. Now i own a truck, a home again, plus a boat!

Edited by AKRISONER

• 4 months later...

From Canopy Press release.

"Processing licences were delayed by infrastructure and regulatory approvals, which led to a number of plants needing to be destroyed."

ie. they were destroyed on purpose -- not a crop failure.

you must be shorting the stock

i still hold a small position but got a lot out at $70.50.  waiting on another pull back to $55 or so.  this stock will be $100 in a few months.  remember, STZ gave us 5 billion reasons at $48.60.

Edited by Raf

The succesfull companies are/will be much more than the plants/green houses/giant grow ops.  I agree margins on flower will be low in the future. It wouldnt surprise me if many actually get away from the growing aspect.  the money will be in the products produced from the plant.  Pharmaceuticals, edibles, drinks, beauty products etc.  They will be a major disruptor to current offerings.  This is why companies like constellation, coca cola, molson coors have or are looking to invest in this sector.

There are companies working on drug identification numbers which would make medicinal mj covered by your drug plan.  Some insurers already cover it for certain ailments. Insurers will like it because its a lot cheaper than big pharma.  

Think outside of just recreational pot (although that will be a multi billion dollar industry on its own) as the scope of this industry.  The major players already are.

Edited by Raf

Once the novelty of buying legal weed wears off, most who smoke it will seek out the best stuff at the best price, legal or not. I know the last 10 or so years that I still smoked cigarettes , I got them from the trunk of a car in the parking lot at work for half price of legal smokes.  I expect after the curious have tried it, the initial blip of legal sales will quickly drop off and legal stuff will be just another player in the existing marketplace and the consumption will drop to pretty close to pre legal levels.

34 minutes ago, BillM said:

I redirect any dividends I get back into stock.   So basically the same thing?   At least that's how I'm reading it, lol

Cool Bill !! yep diversify ...all this talk about risky plays, was wondering if anyone out there is still old school ...lol

started mine 30 yrs ago  ...

Newbie trader here, quick question regarding stop limits. I purchased a bulk of stocks, only to see some of my purchases came in under my stop limit, but I'm wondering how that happens. 

Anyone?

With regards to the stocks, I've made sure I've diversified my portfolio, and so far so good! 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, Raf said:

now crypto... there's something i won't touch.  i have no understanding how that all works.

X2. I got started early, just after my 1st marriage, 79'. My Father in law was a firefighter and got me started in 80. Lost most everything in 81. Got on my feet and again 1990 killed my portfolio and never went back into the market. To some what I lost was chump change. Not for me.

I have a few simple tips for new investors.

• As someone in the working class play, but with no more than 10% of your net wages.
  • Be patient
  • No such thing as going to the dance too late as I have read here about Weed stocks. I was told by Pro's when Gold hit $500.00, forget it, far too late, it's artificially supported. It's what $1300.00 today?
  • Pretend that $$ isn't yours.
  • Ask your investment Pro if any to see his house and his net worth, he knows yours.
  • Know what you are investing in. Is it real or a P.O. box#. Anyone here remember BriEx Gold? The mines never existed, the CEO jumped out of the Helicopter when he was supposed to show the Feds the mines that didn't exist. Talk about lyin' till ya die.
  • Try not to get divorced.

Since 90' and a big loss divorce in 90' (6 digits to my former wife and living in a flea bag motel in Hammertown) I have invested in Real Estate and only that. I want to see it, touch it, and smell it. Even keep me dry when it rains and warm when it's cold. Tangible assets. I have done not bad in real estate, took my 25 years and out pension at the plant at 45 and haven't missed any meals since. I had asked one of the guys in my crew, an Italian immigrant that spoke poor English and could hardly read it or wright it. How he was able to buy homes for both of his recently married children and living in cul de sac in Ancaster amongst professionals of all ilk how? Real Estate.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Everything Iron said is true.

I took that gut punch in the early 80's.

I made the decision to stay out of real-estate, it's a ton of work.

Build a rock solid base all div. aristocrat  stocks. I don't care how old you are.

Then take a percentage to get in and out stocks. My 1 rule is " if you don't know your sell

point before you buy do more research".

The hard part is selling!

17 hours ago, Garnet said:

I made the decision to stay out of real-estate, it's a ton of work.

Anything you work at shouldn't be easy. Yes Real Estate can be a ton of work. I have said it many times, it ain't easy. If you work hard at anything it isn't easy. One of the best quotes " The harder I work the luckier I get." I know many people that dabble in the markets. Many do it because they don't have to get off their asses. I have a relative ready to put all the apples in that single basket and he is convinced this is it, IBM at 25 cnt. A engineering firm that has a ancillary device that improves mileage by 25% is out of Vancouver B.C.  It rang an old bell. He's talking 100K for him, another 50K for his 70 something Mom and another 100  his brother is going to invest. I suggest we take a road trip to BC. A few days, see the sights and visit the offices of this company, what's to lose, flights are a few hundred with the new airline West Jet. This is 1991. Long story short, there are no offices, the address is a parking lot. This happens all the time, especially when times are tough. People get really stupid when they are in need.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

10 hours ago, Garnet said:

Successfully DIY investing isn't easy. 

It takes hard work commitment , confidence.

Yes I agree 100% Garnet, 100%. Those that work hard at it, are diligent, research the company (like flying across the country to visit the plant) generally these are the ones that are successful in an ever changing market. I'm the touchy feely type of investor. Burned 1 too many times by a slickster including a Ponzy scheme when I was desperate and greedy, stupid too. I will never get over that dough head move. Don't get greedy. It happens. See my by line below.